Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's actually a temporary tattoo bus

Well they didn't give me my tattoo. What a rip off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Some Dutch friends were lamenting how American states now have better cannabis laws then Netherlands which for decades was the hippy friendly weed capital.

They shared a map on legal countries and I was surprised to see Thailand in the legal rec category. Turns out they moved that way this year and even released prisoners still serving terms for decriminalised sentences. A rare smart move from that Autocratic regime.

Surprised that hadn't been bigger news with it being a major hub for tourism and the sleazier kinds of tourist.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's interesting about Thailand, I wonder if that includes any industrial-scale production. to be honest recreational use was always a $5 bribe away

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Thai government has been encouraging households to grow their own cannabis, and they are even supplying the clones to do so. So there's not really the market anymore for industrial sized grows for the Thai black market.

Saying that, I can see Thai companies growing cannabis for other markets. Much of the UK medi weed is grown elsewhere.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I watched some crazy videos from the thai dispensaries.

They look like the ones in Oakland from back in 2015ish.

Makes me want to give up on America and move over there.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The Thai can be so drat cool at times.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

more like military HUH?ta

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Biden just announced he’s pardoning all federal pot possession convictions, urged states to do the same, and is working on rescheduling.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

Biden just announced he’s pardoning all federal pot possession convictions, urged states to do the same, and is working on rescheduling.

Here's a link to the full statement. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/10/06/statement-from-president-biden-on-marijuana-reform/

This is loving huge, and I'm so happy for you over the water. This can only lead to better things.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uhhh how many people have federal possession charges and not trafficking? lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i say swears online posted:

I think this is mainly going to be old convictions at this point, but it affects thousands of people.

The majority of these types of charges are at the state level, which is why he asked state governors to do the same.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's mostly useless on a national scale, especially if it leaves out all those convicted of trafficking and other tertiary charges to possession. later he did say that the AG should look at rescheduling cannabis which would have ten thousand times the effect

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NYT said around 6500 if I remember correctly but it also applies to any possession charges in DC since that is federal which accounts for several thousand more. Certainly better than nothing. If you are in jail on multiple charges and the possession gets dropped that still may take time off your sentence I think?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's a step in the right direction, but of course there is still a long way to go.

My own country's Conservative police and crime commissioners were proposing making cannabis a class A substance at the Tory party conference the other day. Their proposals failed miserably, but there's definitely a push towards more criminalisation than legalisation coming from the evil shits in power in the UK. Hopefully Biden's statement will make other countries have a rethink too...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

D-Pad posted:

NYT said around 6500 if I remember correctly but it also applies to any possession charges in DC since that is federal which accounts for several thousand more. Certainly better than nothing. If you are in jail on multiple charges and the possession gets dropped that still may take time off your sentence I think?

ah didn't think about DC, that makes more sense

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

National Parks too. Not as many as DC obviously but you're gonna have a real bad time if you somehow get busted while camping on federal land.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
It's a good start but it means nothing for consumers. Maybe six months from now it gets rescheduled from 1 to 2, and in legal states you can start using a credit card instead of cash, and certain research can get funding.

But if you're still in a state where it's illegal, there's no difference in your life. You can still be arrested. And even in a legal state, you might still have to pass a drug test before getting a job. If you're injured at work and you got high two weeks ago on a Friday night, you still get denied workman's comp.

Frankly even if cannabis is federally legalized, everything above would still apply.

Again, good start but we're in a marathon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LaserPrinter69 posted:

It's a good start but it means nothing for consumers. Maybe six months from now it gets rescheduled from 1 to 2, and in legal states you can start using a credit card instead of cash, and certain research can get funding.

But if you're still in a state where it's illegal, there's no difference in your life. You can still be arrested. And even in a legal state, you might still have to pass a drug test before getting a job. If you're injured at work and you got high two weeks ago on a Friday night, you still get denied workman's comp.

Frankly even if cannabis is federally legalized, everything above would still apply.

Again, good start but we're in a marathon.

I don't have hard numbers on this, but I'm pretty sure a lot of states rely on federal scheduling for defining their drug laws, meaning red states are going to have to rush to pass laws specifically against marijuana if it gets unscheduled.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I've read around 7k from various sources.

States have another 40k or so.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2022.html

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KillHour posted:

I don't have hard numbers on this, but I'm pretty sure a lot of states rely on federal scheduling for defining their drug laws, meaning red states are going to have to rush to pass laws specifically against marijuana if it gets unscheduled.

Also, I don't think anyone here thought the news meant legalization was due next week.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LaserPrinter69 posted:

It's a good start but it means nothing for consumers.

lol thread title

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Big things happening in Germany
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1585210243042185217?t=BYvq3WamHrgdmn598NEcfQ&s=19

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok so this is one big country violating the UN convention, we can too right

Right

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Inspector Hound posted:

Ok so this is one big country violating the UN convention, we can too right

Right

canada already did that, didn't they? the problem with germany is it violates some EU rules i think

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

a podcast for cats posted:

Recreational weed has been “legal” in Malta since December, but you can still not buy it legally. The cannabis clubs/associations that are supposed to be the legal avenue cannot be set up yet, because the adminstrative framework to regulate and oversee them does not exist yet. The locals trying to work with the authority that was set up have been saying it’s a couple of months away, but I’m getting a feeling it will stay a couple of months away for the next 6-12 months or so.

6 months later the chair of the authority has been sacked and there is even less clarity than there was.

To quote the papers about her dismissal, "But in a statement, Dimech said that over the last 10 months, she had worked without any functional office, “no staff, no budget and a political strategy and decision strategy I disagreed with.”",

There's a new appointee, but there are very few reasons to think that things will become any less muddled or that associations or clubs are any closer than they were.

110923_3
Nov 10, 2023
8 years legal and still no weed anything in the stores

110923_3
Nov 10, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

110923_3 posted:

8 years legal and still no weed anything in the stores

How could they arrest people for it??

Nov 10, 2023

Inspector Hound posted:

How could they arrest people for it??

why is no one resisting?

Jan 20, 2024
nobody talkin bout year 8 of state-sanctioned 2000% profit cannabis

state of illinois rec/med system, $2/10mg

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

011924 posted:

nobody talkin bout year 8 of state-sanctioned 2000% profit cannabis

state of illinois rec/med system, $2/10mg

Buffalo's first legal recreational dispensary grossed almost $5 million in its first 6 months.

https://www.syracuse.com/marijuana/...f-dank-716.html

Jan 27, 2024

KillHour posted:

Buffalo's first legal recreational dispensary grossed almost $5 million in its first 6 months.

https://www.syracuse.com/marijuana/...f-dank-716.html

they're gonna need it for the future lawsuits

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Lawsuits?

Feb 6, 2024
Eventually the bourgeoisie go bye bye

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.marijuanamoment.net/two...ring-next-week/

63% of Pennsylvanian voters think PA should be adult use recreational legal. If there are actual regulated stores selling to actual retail customers in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania before 2030, I'll eat my hat

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I was checking the timeline for some other states and Colorado's referendum was in '12, retail sales starting in '14. I honestly never thought many states would be where we find ourselves currently. Big if sure, but if there was any movement prior to say late '27, they could feasibly have retail before '30. If people are clamoring now that could possibly manifest in something along that timeline but it'd be coming in just under the wire right before 2030. Just over 10 years ago we had 0-1 recreational states and now we're about half. Some cause for small hope.

And if your hat is teriyaki seasoned, and you have legal cannabis, it might not be such a bad day should it happen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Pennsylvania is uniquely bad at doing anything, even compared to its neighbors. The Republicans in the state government are particularly obstructionist and the state government is a slowly shambling bureaucratic nightmare.

020624_3
Feb 7, 2024
weed legalization is still a thing in 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

020624_3 posted:

weed legalization is still a thing in 2024

It will always be a thing until we get the thing done. Then we'll start working on dumbass rules like not being able to grow your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It will always be a thing until we get the thing done. Then we'll start working on dumbass rules like not being able to grow your own.

I lobbied hard in the UK for a GYO framework to exist alongside the pharmaceutical model, but the venture capitalists had already purchased the laws in advance and the last thing they wanted was for people to become self sufficient.

So because profit is the driving force behind this new legal market, there are hardly any sativa dominant options due to the longer flowering times needed. The UK black market is also very dry for strong sativas for the same reason, but I'd have hoped that a framework which pretended to cater for sick people would actually cater for sick people.