Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Remember jamming up a dispensary in Oregon means an Oregon jury voting unanimously to enforce an unpopular law. The people the feds would go after are business owners with no prior criminal history, lawyers on retainer, and community ties. It costs millions of dollars to prosecute a federal case and wasting it on a mistrial and lowering your conviction stats would be a huge black eye for the AG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah it seems to me that the DOJ would run out of resources quick trying to fight a many-front war against all of these states that will be hostile to what they're trying to do, I don't know enough about the DOJ to know how true my assumption is though.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Plus any attempts to attack the industry likely would be seen as a really dangerous precedent, and I'd think you'd see a lot of unity through the MJ business world to make sure that the first shots fail resoundingly. Again with every passing year, and almost every month, there are more people who are gaining financial and political power from cannabis, so we might find out the hard way how far past the tipping-point we are.

quote:

Yeah it seems to me that the DOJ would run out of resources quick trying to fight a many-front war against all of these states that will be hostile to what they're trying to do, I don't know enough about the DOJ to know how true my assumption is though.

To me, the two most significant things Sessions said at his senate interview were (paraphrasing): that DOJ only has so many resources to use on everything, and that if there's a conflict between federal law and state law then Congress needs to address that disparity.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 9, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What can they do? Local, State authorities may certainly decline to enforce Federal Law but aside from that there isn't much that may be done.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Tab8715 posted:

What can they do? Local, State authorities may certainly decline to enforce Federal Law but aside from that there isn't much that may be done.

On the State level? People can harass their federal reps to do something; the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment has been a huge help, so just having Congress put a leash on DOJ/DEA/etc is huge.

For the state itself, refusing to enforce federal law is much more than a small contribution. If Texas just stops arresting 70,000 people per year for cannabis possession, it's not like the US Marshals are going to arrest 70k to make up for it.

The Feds have (and can continue to) have a really chilling effect on legit cannabis business, but if the states don't do the majority of the work enforcing the drug war, the Feds are limited to high-level busts, or wasting huge amounts of limited time and money on minor busts.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 10, 2017

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Given that we don't have rational actors in the drivers seat right now, and we already are committing to a sisyphean waste of money in regards to border policing, I wouldn't put too much faith in "lack of resources" dictating policy.

I suppose border policing is a more popular policy then weed crackdown, but then I go back to the irrational reactionaries we have who are deaf to criticism.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Famethrowa posted:

Given that we don't have rational actors in the drivers seat right now, and we already are committing to a sisyphean waste of money in regards to border policing, I wouldn't put too much faith in "lack of resources" dictating policy.

I suppose border policing is a more popular policy then weed crackdown, but then I go back to the irrational reactionaries we have who are deaf to criticism.

Yes, but.

Even envisioning the Trump administration at its most irrational, there are still practical limitations on time, people, and money that they can't overcome.

A border crackdown is way more popular, and its primary victims are non-citizens and poor, as opposed to weed crackdowns where public sentiment is in favor of legalization, and the people you can nail on legal issues are wealthy and part of a $7b industry that's incredibly touchy about its precarious position.

quote:

Remember jamming up a dispensary in Oregon means an Oregon jury voting unanimously to enforce an unpopular law. The people the feds would go after are business owners with no prior criminal history, lawyers on retainer, and community ties. It costs millions of dollars to prosecute a federal case and wasting it on a mistrial and lowering your conviction stats would be a huge black eye for the AG.

I really hadn't thought much about this aspect, and it's a really good point. I'd imagine a federal jury in Portland is not going to be incredibly enthused to convict the owner of a legal dispensary in their state.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Famethrowa posted:

The equivalent of the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment but for recreational weed picked up quite a few Republican votes last congress and was voted down quite narrowly, I was pretty surprised.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/06/03/house-votes-to-ban-some-pot-law-enforcement-cut-dea-budget

quote:

The one narrowly defeated measure in the string of late Tuesday and Wednesday votes would have prevented federal prosecutors and anti-drug agents from blocking implementation of state recreational marijuana laws.

That measure, introduced by Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif., failed 206-222, with 45 Republicans voting in favor and 24 Democrats, including Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, voting against it.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 10, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

That measure, introduced by Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif., failed 206-222, with 45 Republicans voting in favor and 24 Democrats, including Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, voting against it.

I realize a party isn't a monolithic block, but how did the Dems manage to get 45 R defectors, but couldn't get all their people, much less the drat *head of the DNC* onto the same page?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Unfortunately there are still too many drug warrior Dems and DWS is one of the worst, she even voted against Rohrabacher-Farr.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Minnesota lawmakers are now throwing up some bills for recreational weed to be legalized fully as soon as 2019.

It's not expected to pass, but the past couple years has been full of huge surprises so who knows.

http://www.fox9.com/news/234526260-story

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Most people are here are talking about raids and crackdowns, but I think the biggest threat would be if the DOJ can somehow find a way to withhold other federal funds from legalized states. That's kind of how they forced states to raise the drinking age to 21. All the issues in this thread that would prevent a crackdown like conviction rates, juries, prosecutors and manpower issues could all be irrelevant if they try something different.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Yes, but.

Even envisioning the Trump administration at its most irrational, there are still practical limitations on time, people, and money that they can't overcome.

Assuming they get stymied on raid cooperation and get cold feet about the manpower needed, I assume they would then move instead to indirect action like cutting federal funds until they get cooperation.

Would the tax income from weed sales cover the shortfall left from the absence of grants? Has anyone in the lobby groups tried to figure this out?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Most people are here are talking about raids and crackdowns, but I think the biggest threat would be if the DOJ can somehow find a way to withhold other federal funds from legalized states. That's kind of how they forced states to raise the drinking age to 21. All the issues in this thread that would prevent a crackdown like conviction rates, juries, prosecutors and manpower issues could all be irrelevant if they try something different.

That would first require them to do new federal spending, in order to withhold that spending - that's how the drinking age law worked. And I don't expect the Trump administration to do much new federal spending!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

MaxxBot posted:

The equivalent of the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment but for recreational weed picked up quite a few Republican votes last congress and was voted down quite narrowly, I was pretty surprised.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/06/03/house-votes-to-ban-some-pot-law-enforcement-cut-dea-budget

Rohrabacher is back at it again this week, again with legislation to block the feds from tampering with *recreational* cannabis in legal states:

https://blog.mpp.org/prohibition/gop-congressman-introduces-respect-state-marijuana-laws-act/ posted:

Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher of California introduced legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday that would resolve the conflict between state and federal marijuana laws and allow states to determine their own marijuana policies.

The Respect State Marijuana Laws Act exempts individuals and entities from certain provisions of the Controlled Substances Act if they are acting in compliance with state marijuana laws. This is the third time Rohrabacher has introduced the bill. Twenty of his colleagues in the House, including seven Republicans, co-sponsored the Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2015, which was introduced in the 114th Congress.

“The call for federal marijuana policy reform is growing louder and louder,” said Don Murphy, MPP director of conservative outreach. “Congress needs to listen to their constituents and to state lawmakers, most of whom agree marijuana policy is an issue best left to the states. This is a bipartisan solution that ought to find support on both sides of the aisle.”

EDIT: just wrote my Congressman asking him to support this; you can find yours at http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ and most of them have a browser email submission page.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 11, 2017

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Yes, but.

A border crackdown is way more popular, and its primary victims are non-citizens and poor, as opposed to weed crackdowns where public sentiment is in favor of legalization, and the people you can nail on legal issues are wealthy and part of a $7b industry that's incredibly touchy about its precarious position.

I really hadn't thought much about this aspect, and it's a really good point. I'd imagine a federal jury in Portland is not going to be incredibly enthused to convict the owner of a legal dispensary in their state.

Sentiment is pro legalization but that's only one part of how people will react. Sure they'll be pissed but never really expected the feds to let it happen. 2 years in I still can't believe I can walk into a pot store. Can't miss what you never had or never expected to keep in the first place.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Another interesting case: Peru is considering legalizing medical cannabis, straight from the President's office. Apparently they recently busted a cannabis club in Lima that was providing cannabis medicine to 80 ill children, mostly with epilepsy, who had been trying for years to get a legal exemption, so that caused some bad press.

The downside is the ultra-conservative (and gay-bashing) party Fuerza Popular holds more than half of congress, and is headed by Keiko Fujimori, daughter of the imprisoned former dictator or Peru.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Peru-Proposes-to-Legalize-Medicinal-Marijuana-20170209-0030.html

Like I said, cannabis is on the agenda just everywhere these days.

EDIT: And Brazil just licensed its first cannabis remedy, Sativex oral spray: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-cannabis-idUSKBN1502AN

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 11, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Sativex is a UK pharmaceutical, it was briefly used by the NHS I think? It has no significant clinical properties (it doesnt work).

e; if we actually want legalised medical uses then anyone using medical products that flat out don't work will not further that cause, or that of further research

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Rhode Island has been teetering on the edge for years, but having MA legalize just might push them over. Last month's poll shows 59% support for legalization in the state, and advocates believe they have majority support in both houses: http://www.rifuture.org/rhode-island-legislature-support-cannabis/

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Spangly A posted:

Sativex is a UK pharmaceutical, it was briefly used by the NHS I think? It has no significant clinical properties (it doesnt work).

e; if we actually want legalised medical uses then anyone using medical products that flat out don't work will not further that cause, or that of further research

Sativex is pretty much the only whole plant cannabis extract that has a significant research base. Where are you gettng your information?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

KingEup posted:

Sativex is pretty much the only whole plant cannabis extract that has a significant research base. Where are you gettng your information?

That said research base notes significant problems, though. I'll cite a failed phase 3 and an earlier meta-analysis.

The meta analysis notes small, non-significant improvements can be objectively measured in the short term, but disappear in followup. Subjective changes show improvement: if we're discussing spasticity decrease in epilepsy, this isn't consistent, whereas subjective measures from the patient show a good increase.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2793241

Here below we have a failed phase 3 for cancer pain treatment. The study did not show cannabis was effective, and so the phase 2 results are immediately referred to instead. That's not great science. It's not academically sound to use a phase 2 to justify a phase 3, fail all metrics you've set for the phase 3, and go "oh well the phase 2 worked".
http://www.pharmafile.com/news/197172/late-stage-failure-otsuka-and-gw-cancer-pain-drug

We're dealing with a substance that does *something* but what exactly it works objectively on, in the research or in vivo, is not really clear.

I also couldn't find a blind trial comparing placebo/sativex/cannabis showing sativex as having a superior outcome. Frankly I'd like to be able to see those results, it'd present indications that there may be something occuring that we're missing.

Refining the ill-defined but noticeable benefits of a few hundred psychoactives into a medical product is going to be hard and Sativex is not exactly promising in its total inability to reach significant, objective improvements.
e; reformatted post for making no sense

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 13, 2017

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The leading Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Virginia just came out in favor of decriminalizing marijuana:

Ralph Northam posted:

We need to change sentencing laws that disproportionately hurt people of color. One of the best ways to do this is to decriminalize marijuana. African Americans are 2.8 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession in Virginia. The Commonwealth spends more than $67 million on marijuana enforcement — money that could be better spent on rehabilitation.

As a doctor, I’m becoming increasingly convinced by the data showing potential health benefits of marijuana, such as pain relief, drug-resistant epilepsy, and treatment for PTSD. By decriminalizing it, our researchers can better study the plant so doctors can more effectively prescribe drugs made from it.

It’s clear there are still systemic inequalities within our judicial system. There is an emerging bipartisan consensus we need to reform our drug laws as they continue to hold back potential medical breakthroughs, and do long-term damage to communities of color. Decriminalizing marijuana is not a panacea, but it is a good place to start making progress.

At the same time, we must continue to expand access to new substance abuse treatment options and drug courts. Our administration has made progress in combating the opioid epidemic, but with three Virginians dying each day from accidental overdose we can’t afford to slow down.

Progress in our country has always been too slow, and creating change has always been difficult, but we must continue marching towards those ideals written in our founding documents — that all people are to be treated equally under our laws. We still have a ways to go before the reality matches our creed, and I won’t stop fighting to make our country and our Commonwealth live up to our beliefs.

https://medium.com/@RalphNortham/a-more-fair-and-just-virginia-5616664acb6a#.5vpigoa6g

Still, it'll probably be an uphill battle in the state legislature: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/01/31/virginia-marijuana-decriminalization-legislation/72636/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This isn't super clear but I don't think Sessions is going to engage in some foolish all-out war on weed like some people thought he would.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2017/02/07/sheriff-jones-meets-with-atorney-general-nominee-jeff-sessions/

quote:

As for marijuana, Jones says his conversation with Sessions didn't lead him to believe much would change.

"Regarding the prioritization of federal resources to combat marijuana, he didn't see the federal government getting involved in marijuana use or low-level state, what are traditionally state and local crimes, but, I don't think he ruled out the possibility of the federal government getting involved in larger-scale operations."

The sheriff says those operations would include trafficking by drug cartels.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If Sessions stays chill, and particularly if Rohrabacher passes his new amendment, then the prospects will have shifted *dramatically* in our favor.

Spent the last couple days at the Capitol in Austin manning a booth for a MPP/NORML collab, and basically everyone who's stopped at our booth has been supportive of the effort for decrim and for expanded medical. The House co-sponsor for the Decrim bill is also head of the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee, so that makes it a ton more likely it'll get a prompt hearing, unlike 2015 where decrim didn't get a hearing until April when the session was almost over.

General word-on-the-street seems to be that things are looking promising for Texas reducing 1oz or less to a $250 ticket with no criminal penalties this session. Medical marijuana is stickier, not so much because it itself is controversial, but because it has a lot more moving parts so you have to get consensus on a ton of points like what conditions, how many dispensary licenses, how much licenses cost, what kind of medicines will be allowed, etc. Decrim is a much easier "stop arresting, start ticketing" and it's done.

Decrim is the immediate focus since it has momentum, but in the next few weeks medical will be getting more focus. Wounded vets and moms with sick kids is a bit dramatic, but it's what people respond to from a gut level.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 15, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On the State level? People can harass their federal reps to do something; the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment has been a huge help, so just having Congress put a leash on DOJ/DEA/etc is huge.

For the state itself, refusing to enforce federal law is much more than a small contribution. If Texas just stops arresting 70,000 people per year for cannabis possession, it's not like the US Marshals are going to arrest 70k to make up for it.

The Feds have (and can continue to) have a really chilling effect on legit cannabis business, but if the states don't do the majority of the work enforcing the drug war, the Feds are limited to high-level busts, or wasting huge amounts of limited time and money on minor busts.

Users would undoubtedly get away but it would be painfully easy for the Feds to arrest and shutdown recreational marijuana shops, growers and suppliers. No amount of legal muscle would be able to change anything and the industry would disappear overnight.

Sessions seems to still have been rather quiet on the subject and given the current administration problems marijuana is low priority.

Hopefully it stays that way.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
A team at Simon Fraser University has worked out that cannabis addled driving increases your risk of having an accident by a whopping 18%.

They are also kind enough to point out that driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.05 (the acceptable limit in many places) increases your risk of having accident by a mere 500%-600%.

http://drugpolicy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/CDPC_Cannabis-and-Driving_Evidence-Review-Full_Jan31-2017_FINAL.pdf

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

KingEup posted:

A team at Simon Fraser University has worked out that cannabis addled driving increases your risk of having an accident by a whopping 18%.

They are also kind enough to point out that driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.05 (the acceptable limit in many places) increases your risk of having accident by a mere 500%-600%.

http://drugpolicy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/CDPC_Cannabis-and-Driving_Evidence-Review-Full_Jan31-2017_FINAL.pdf

I bet some Kevin Sabet-tier shithead has already used these numbers to argue that weed must stay illegal forever.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
So I spent part of this week working a NORML/MPP booth in the Austin capitol promoting weed reform. Turns out that our humble little booth managed to royally piss off the Montgomery County DA:

https://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/district-attorney-brett-ligon-issues-response-marijuana-legalization/ posted:

Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon Cautions Newly Elected Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg
“She Does Not Speak for Majority of Texas District & County Attorney’s”

Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon cautioned newly elected Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg that “she doesn’t speak for the State of Texas or the majority of elected District and County Attorney’s across the State” and warns against her role in becoming a spokesperson for a liberal marijuana legalization organization (see below – flyer’s displayed at the Texas Capital this week).

“Despite a rise in violent crime rates in Harris County, Ms. Ogg chooses to focus her attention on the issue of legalization of marijuana,” Ligon said. “I hope it’s a mistake in judgment on her part and not a sign of things to come. I respect the jurisdictional differences between Montgomery County and Harris County, and I hope she does too.

Unlike Harris County, Montgomery County will not become a sanctuary for dope smokers. I swore an oath to follow the law – all the laws, as written by the Texas Legislature. I don’t get to pick and choose which laws I enforce,” Ligon said.

“Further, I have my doubts about the study that her organization touts regarding the dismissal rate for misdemeanor cases. Experienced prosecutors know that misdemeanor possession cases are usually filed in combination with other charges and are likely dismissed as part of a plea to another matter, or disposed of through pre-trial diversion programs, only after the defendant has had the opportunity to receive drug and alcohol treatment and counseling,” Ligon concluded.

EDIT: as I was leaving the capitol to catch the bus home, the buses were delayed by an anti-deportation march going on. But although my commute was disrupted I did not immediately call for the protestors to be run over with bulldozers.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I swore an oath to follow the law – all the laws, as written by the Texas Legislature. I don’t get to pick and choose which laws I enforce

Wait, doesn't he realise that you are trying to change the law because not every law ought to be?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Who the hell still calls weed dope?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KingEup posted:

Wait, doesn't he realise that you are trying to change the law because not every law ought to be?

Both in DC and here, it's always been baffling hearing people say "but you can't make weed legal, it's *illegal*!"

quote:

Canvassing in DC, I hit up an elderly couple coming home from church to ask for their signature. The woman squints at my brochure, then calls out "Henry, these folks are trying to legalize reefer!"

EDIT: whacky-tobaccy is polling 59-36 pro in Rhode Island, sounds like time to get off the pot and get on the pot: http://www.weednews.co/rhode-island-polls-looking-positive-for-marijuana-legalization/

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Both in DC and here, it's always been baffling hearing people say "but you can't make weed legal, it's *illegal*!"

"Oh yeah? Well skateboards were once illegal and now they're not. It turns out you can make illegal things legal afterall!" http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36077122

This is actually I think a major roadblock to reform in my opinion. Lots of people seem to think that there are actually substances that are inherently illegal. They don't seem to realise that substances are illegal only because someone called them illegal at some point.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 17, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

KingEup posted:

"Oh yeah? Well skateboards were once illegal and now they're not. It turns out you can make illegal things legal afterall!" http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36077122

This is actually I think a major roadblock to reform in my opinion. Lots of people seem to think that there are actually substances that are inherently illegal. They don't seem to realise that substances are illegal only because someone called them illegal at some point.

It's a joke, but i grew up hearing nothing but the standard DARE line on weed, except for a scoff here and there from my parents who knew better but still didn't want their kid smoking ganja. Reading on my own and learning about Harry J. Anslinger, the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, all the propaganda surrounding it, it was a revelation for me. It was like I'd found a secret piece of history no one knew about, and like you point out, i sort of had. I feel like if you can just explain the early history of cannabis prohibition it will fall away for skeptics, but i think i always end up sounding insane.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

quote:

A bipartisan group of federal lawmakers launched the Congressional Cannabis Caucus in a press conference at the U.S. Capitol on Thursday afternoon. Republican congressmen Dana Rohrabacher (California) and Don Young (Alaska) joined Democrats Earl Blumenauer (Oregon) and Jared Polis (Colorado) to launch the new group. They are dedicated to developing policy reforms that can bridge the gap that currently exists between federal laws banning marijuana and the laws in an ever-growing number of states that have legalized it for medical or recreational purposes.
http://fortune.com/2017/02/16/congress-cannabis-caucus/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlDcyB5VCe0

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Made all the more misleading because Dope is slang for heroin

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fried Watermelon posted:

Made all the more misleading because Dope is slang for heroin

I find it interesting that most pro-weed organizations still use the term "marijuana" just because it's more familiar, while I see more and more that advocates in their own materials favor "cannabis", and Wikipedia sticks with "cannabis" in most articles.

But then this new bipartisan "Cannabis Caucus" in the US Congress uses the term "cannabis"; not sure if that's just alliteration or a more deliberate political choice.

Going back to the Capitol in Austin this week as part of a Veterans for Cannabis event, should be fun. And The Cannabis covered our event two weeks ago; the first year we had Marijuana Lobbying Day in Austin was 2011, with 25 people, and this year we're up to 375 people: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/17/texas-marijuana-lobby-legislation-legalization/73530/

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Leafly Investigation: California Has a Dirty Cannabis Problem

This is a good article to read but I'll give you some highlights

quote:

Once a hush-hush gathering open only to growers, the Emerald Cup is bigger and more commercial these days. But the marijuana movement’s hippie roots and “organic ethos” are still tangible at the cup. All of the cannabis is supposed to be grown under the sun, not grow lights. One of the Emerald Cup’s judges is an original Haight-Ashbury hippie who dresses in white robes and goes by “Swami.” (This is not an affect; he truly is an initiated swami.) Conversations about veganic and permaculture growing methods abound.

So when the testing lab hired to screen the 2015 cup entries turned up contamination in almost 17 percent of entries—including banned pesticides, bacteria, and mold—Blake was horrified. Pesticides at the Emerald Cup simply aren’t supposed to exist.

Never again, Blake vowed. For the 2016 Cup, organizers instituted stricter-than-ever controls on contaminants. Entrants who submitted dirty samples wouldn’t only be disqualified; they’d be publicly shamed, with their names published as peddlers of dangerous product. “We’re going to be very strict,” Blake told The East Bay Express last spring. “People are not going to get away with anything.”

The December 2016 Emerald Cup drew more than 1,000 entries, including 735 strains of flower and 263 different concentrates. It also attracted more dirty marijuana than ever. Forty flower entries tested positive for pesticides. An unprecedented 25 percent of concentrate entries were disqualified for containing traces of banned chemicals. Blake was “dumbfounded we’d see this at that level,” he told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

quote:

In a study published in October, Berkeley-based Steep Hill Labs claimed it found residual pesticides in 84 percent of cannabis tested over a 30-day period beginning in mid-September, the peak time in the state’s marijuana harvest.

quote:

The potential consequences of contaminated cannabis recently hit home with the release of an article in the journal Clinical Microbiology and Infection.

One of the article’s authors, Dr. Joseph Tuscano, an oncologist and researcher at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, Calif., had been treating a young man in his 20s with leukemia. After a stem-cell transplant, the prognosis was very good. The leukemia was gone, and the man seemed likely to recover. Then, very suddenly, he developed a severe lung infection.

One consequence of cancer treatment is that patients’ immune systems become so compromised that even flowers and houseplants can pose a mortal risk. It’s common for bacteria and fungi that healthy people would never notice to cause sudden, severe, and sometimes fatal pneumonia in cancer patients. That’s what happened to Tuscano’s patient, who survived leukemia only to die of what turned out to be a rare fungal infection.

Then it happened again. Another young leukemia patient, another good prognosis, another sudden and severe lung infection caused by the same rare strain of fungus. This patient, however, recovered. When Tuscano asked him about his lifestyle, trying to identify a cause or any links between the two cases, he discovered the two men both used marijuana. The dead patient had vaporized a cannabis “mist” medicinally as part of his treatment; the survivor smoked recreationally prior to his leukemia diagnosis—which was when he developed the infection “instantly,” Tuscano told me.

One of Tuscano’s colleagues at UC Davis, Dr. George Thompson, had a connection to Steep Hill Labs. The lab selected, at random, 20 marijuana samples they’d received from about 10 different Northern California dispensaries. Each was tested for rare and common fungi and bacteria. The result? Every single one of the 20 samples was contaminated with a variety of both. They contained E. coli, Aspergillus, various strains associated with pneumonia, pathogens known to cause common infections—as well as the rare fungus that killed Tuscano’s patient.

“All these organisms were in there, and so many other ones as well,” said Tuscano. “Before this, I never really suspected there was a link.”

This is specifically for California as Colorado, Oregon and Washington apparently have rules set for testing before legally selling. Stuff like this really makes me worry about the states that legalized it for medical use only - including my own state - as I'd assume they also have looser rules on cannabis testing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Canvassing in DC, I hit up an elderly couple coming home from church to ask for their signature. The woman squints at my brochure, then calls out "Henry, these folks are trying to legalize reefer!"

Well, did either of them sign?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

nawcom posted:

Leafly Investigation: California Has a Dirty Cannabis Problem

This is a good article to read but I'll give you some highlights

This is specifically for California as Colorado, Oregon and Washington apparently have rules set for testing before legally selling. Stuff like this really makes me worry about the states that legalized it for medical use only - including my own state - as I'd assume they also have looser rules on cannabis testing.

We should have had USP medicinal cannabis products years ago.

There are only a handful of medicinal cannabis companies I would trust... and the only three that come to mind are GW Pharma, Bedrocan, Cannimed, none of which are US based. No one with a compromised immune system should be inhaling the bullshit they are selling from the local 'Farmacy'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I find it interesting that most pro-weed organizations still use the term "marijuana" just because it's more familiar, while I see more and more that advocates in their own materials favor "cannabis", and Wikipedia sticks with "cannabis" in most articles.

But then this new bipartisan "Cannabis Caucus" in the US Congress uses the term "cannabis"; not sure if that's just alliteration or a more deliberate political choice.

Going back to the Capitol in Austin this week as part of a Veterans for Cannabis event, should be fun. And The Cannabis covered our event two weeks ago; the first year we had Marijuana Lobbying Day in Austin was 2011, with 25 people, and this year we're up to 375 people: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/17/texas-marijuana-lobby-legislation-legalization/73530/

Considering how much 'marijuana' was used as a term to demonize cannabis (by associating it with those shifty mexicans, see), and then its widespread use by programs such as dare and in press releases by law enforcement and various arms of the war against drugs...
Well its really not surprising they use Cannabis.

Its also the taxonomic name so it gives a bit of formality and academic sobriety to the affair. At least i think thats the intention.