Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Maybe there would be fewer pests if they were allowed to grow in a controlled environment under grow lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, did either of them sign?

Oh no, that was a lost cause. Overall in Washington DC I'd say I had 90% generally positive responses while canvassing, and over probably 45+ total days I had maybe a dozen folks actually combative about it. I literally had a couple points where I had to back out of a debate since I was genuinely concerned the other person might punch me. And I had two times (both in Anacostia) where I had to say that my concerns weren't just white-middle-class paranoia, but I was genuinely somewhere where I should not be.

The two weirdest points in Anacostia were when I was downtown and saw *zero* white people other than cops, had a bunch of people hit me up to buy them some small thing from the store, and one guy who threatened to beat my rear end because I wouldn't let him "hold" $5. I crossed the street, found friendlier people, mentioned the previous dick and they replied "just stay on this side of the street". The other time in Anacostia I was in some residential areas and doing great, but then crossed into a commercial area within a block radius of a local corner park there were literally 100+ people, mostly men, just sitting on boxes or benches at noon on a weekday and looking pretty down, nodding out, etc. I got a couple "you really shouldn't be here" comments, saw a bus labeled "Anacostia Metro Station" and jumped on.

When I just stuck to the subway station in Anacostia, I did great on signatures; pretty secure area, and the weirdness of a white guy in a shirt and tie with Panama hat got people curious. I got just a handful of "why are *you* of all people working Anacostia" but no real problems. On the flip-side, I got bugger-all for support in the Northwest wards (really white and upper-class) and it turned out that our best canvassers there were young African-American men. Apparently when I canvass up there I'm just yet another do-gooder to be handwaved away, but when a young black guy does it and says "people like *me* are going to jail because of people like *you*" everyone is suddenly apologetic and happy to sign and support.

Canvassing was a ton of fun, I'd recommend it highly for a cause you care about. I'm broadly enjoying doing volunteer lobbying right now, but it's not as exciting as canvassing. I did three shifts last week at the Austin Capitol and almost every single person who even paused at our booth had positive things to say about the proposed Texas weed reform. If anything, it was a little weird having a bunch of middle-aged people dropping by to say "I just love Colorado's new laws every time I visit *wink*!" or "my family member gets a lot of relief from X cannabis medication, so fuckit, we just drive to Colorado every few months and stock up, I'm not going to follow a law if it hurts my family."

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
By the time federal prohibition is lifted half of the population will live in legal states, and it will only be done to make the justice system less of a mess.

Some older members of congress with considerable power (Dianne Feinstein among them) are very ardent about the drug war and won't lift a finger to help with legalizing cannabis.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
One thing I'm relishing is the fact that when the states that legalized for recreation in 2016 all have operating markets in 2018, it's going to mean even far *more* interstate diversion of cannabis, with every lovable doofus now deciding that he too can be a marijuana dealer by buying in state A and selling in state B. This is just going to hasten even more legalization/decriminalization.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/834862805148901377

So, uh... so much for state's rights

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

“When you see something like the opioid addiction crisis blossoming in so many states around this country, the last thing we should be doing is encouraging people,” [Spicer] said.

i hope somebody slaps a fentanyl patch on his dick

yes, he's talking about cannabis stores in this quote

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This was inevitable. The people who thought Sessions, Trump, and Bannon wouldn't go after legal weed must have been high as poo poo. How could they not crack down? Scorpion and the frog people. It's in their nature.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
a bunch of alt-right libertarians for trump just contracted a serious case of back spasms

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

More details for those that didn't watch the press briefing.

quote:

During a White House briefing Thursday, press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters that “I do believe that you’ll see greater enforcement” of federal drug laws prohibiting use of recreational marijuana during the Trump administration. But medical marijuana is a different question, Spicer said, noting that states with medical marijuana laws were protected from federal interference by a congressional budget rider passed in 2014.

Spicer's comments are the strongest suggestion yet that the Trump administration will take more of a hard line approach to marijuana enforcement than the Obama administration. Under Obama, the Justice Department explicitly adopted a policy of noninterference with state marijuana laws, provided that a number of guidelines — like keeping marijuana out of the hands of adolescents — were met. That unofficial policy was established by a 2013 memo, which the Justice Department under the Trump administration can easily ignore. However, the administration is bound by legislation passed in 2014 prohibiting use of Justice Department funds to impede medical marijuana laws in the 28 states that have legalized it and D.C.

Seven states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational marijuana.

The comments come on the same day a Quinnipiac poll shows that 71 percent of American voters — including 55 percent of Republicans — say that they oppose “the government enforcing federal laws against marijuana in states that have already legalized medical or recreational marijuana.” That poll, which surveyed 1,323 voters nationwide last week, also showed that 59 percent of voters say they support fully legalizing the use of marijuana in the United States, and that 93 percent of voters support the medical use of marijuana under a doctor's supervision.

At the news briefing, Spicer appeared to tie the question of recreational marijuana use to concerns about the nation's opioid epidemic.

“When you see something like the opioid addiction crisis blossoming in so many states around this country,” Spicer said, “the last thing we should be doing is encouraging people — there's a federal law that we need to abide by when it comes to recreational marijuana and other drugs of that nature.”

Researchers have consistently found that access to medical marijuana is associated with lower rates of opioid abuse and mortality. A similar relationship may exist between recreational marijuana and opioid use, although not as much research has been done on that front.

“Spicer has it exactly backwards,” said Ethan Nadelmann of the drug policy reform group Drug Policy Alliance in a statement. “Greater access to marijuana has actually led to declines in opioid use, overdoses and other problems.”

“Trump seems insistent on throwing the marijuana market back into the hands of criminals, wiping out taxpaying jobs and eliminating billions of dollars in taxes,” Nadelmann added.

Legal marijuana, recreational and medical, was a $1.3 billion industry in Colorado in 2016. Independent consultants estimated the industry supported 18,000 new jobs in the state in 2015.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...here-its-legal/

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Yes Donny, put a few hundred million dollar holes in state budgets and put thousands of people out of work, there won't be any backlash.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SwampDonkey posted:

More details for those that didn't watch the press briefing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...here-its-legal/
quick reminder that donald trump thinks polls are fake and doesn't care about public opinion outside of the 30% of the country that is his base

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

In good news the Netherlands is finally making cultivation legal :toot:

I'm always a little confused about the status of legalization in the Netherlands, but I guess it's good they're finally shining a light on the grey market

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Nevada still moving ahead despite threats

quote:

That has not prompted the Nevada agency tasked with crafting rules governing recreational marijuana sales to change its timeline for ensuring dispensaries can open this summer, said agency spokeswoman Stephanie Klapstein.

"As of now, the Department of Taxation is moving forward with our regulation development as planned," she said.

The Democratic leader of Nevada's state Senate, Aaron Ford, criticized the White House for what he called an "overzealous attack on the will of Nevada voters."

Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval is currently budgeting tens of millions of dollars in marijuana tax revenue over the next two years to fund public education.

"Any action by the Trump administration would be an insult to Nevada voters and would pick the pockets of Nevada's students," Ford said.

We're in for a fun time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

heck yeah

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Sessions is going to raid dispensaries. Watch it loving happen.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have mixed feelings, but I think ultimately this will turn out well for weed in the long run no matter which way it breaks.

I don't want to do the whole "heh I'm a white male and unlikely to be inconvenienced so ACCELERATIONISM" but if Trump starts picking a fight over weed I think it's really going to bite the Republicans in the rear end, cause internal party discord, and just maybe give the Dems enough balls to step up and actually take a stance.

There's a spectrum of options here really, and at this point we're all just speculating:

-- Administration floats a "gently caress weed" balloon, goes over poorly, pulls it back and tries to sort out the fed-state issue by devolving more power to the states (wildly optimistic best-case scenario)

-- Administration just dicks around making vague statements about "eventually, we might crack down or something sometime". It could have a chilling effect on expanding or opening weed businesses, investors may get skittish (they should always be skittish anyway in that field). But the hanging sword should keep people energized to keep moving weed forward, scream at their elected reps, and generally just keep folks from getting complacent until the situation stabilizes somehow.

-- Administration does some targeted enforcement, closes a few recreational dispensaries, arrests a few folks. This could end up effectively being just an expanded version of #2 with no real practical fallout (other than the unlucky folks "made an example of") but lots of ticked-off people. Seriously, 8 states worth of congresspeople hollering about how this fucks with their budgets, billion-dollar businesses in multiple states realizing "if you don't get seriously politically active, your investment will tank", etc.

-- Administration declares a full-on War on (Recreational) Weed (I'd find it almost unfathomable if they tried to seriously crack down on MMJ), busts a bunch of businesses, maybe arrests some random customers, kicks off a huge kerfuffle that gets them attacks from a dozen possible political angles (killing jobs, wasting DOJ money, etc), and results in absolute disaster. And maybe I'm unduly optimistic, but I really do wonder if they start smacking down states, filing injunctions against governors who legalize, if you'll just get a bunch of governors going "fine, gently caress you, weed possession in my state is now a $15 ticket for a quarter-pound or less, and a lower police priority than jaywalking, and anything the black market does bad we're just going to point at the Feds and say 'these fuckers won't let us have a regulated market'."

I think #2 is most likely, but in whatever scenario, I don't seen Trump winning a whole ton of points off this issue, and causing some serious consternation even among Republicans, and likely just pushing public polling for legal weed even higher than the 59% nationwide or whatever it's at.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 24, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
A reminder that SAM is freaking terrible, and as skilled concern-trolls and the media's go-to "gotta interview both sides" option, one of our more dangerous opponents:

quote:

Reaction to Spicer’s comments was swift Thursday night.

“In Maine, we are working very hard to accommodate the desires of the voters to allow the recreational use of marijuana and the need to regulate its cultivation and distribution in a manner consistent with the health and safety of the public,” said Attorney General Janet Mills in a written statement. “Marijuana has not been the top priority of law enforcement in Maine since we decriminalized the possession of small amounts 40 years ago. It would be an unwise use of federal resources, in my view, to focus on marijuana prosecutions in a state like Maine.”

David Boyer, Maine political director for the Marijuana Policy Project, a pro-legalization group, said the president should leave legalization laws like Maine’s alone.

“Maine voters have already made their decision on the issue of regulating and taxing marijuana, and we hope this administration will continue to allow states to determine their own policies,” Boyer said in a written statement Thursday evening.

Opponents of legalization applauded Spicer’s comments.

We welcome strong federal leadership on marijuana that is focused on policies that will protect communities and youth from the harms posed by the increasing commercialization and normalization of the drug,” Scott M. Gagnon, chairman of Smart Approaches to Marijuana, said in a written statement Thursday night.

“The marijuana industry is already using the Big Tobacco playbook using multimillion-dollar political campaigns to mislead the public with fake data and fake science. We saw that right here in Maine with the Yes On 1 campaign,” Gagnon said.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

A reminder that SAM is freaking terrible, and as skilled concern-trolls and the media's go-to "gotta interview both sides" option, one of our more dangerous opponents:

Could you expect anything less than a SAM going after some high folks?

:dadjoke:

But in all seriousness, is it possible that the issue could be tied into ~foreigners~/Mexico/other drugs and turn the public hostile towards legalization? Or could the mix of legal medical and widening recreational/decrim be enough to prevent that?

I just worry that it might even be pushed back to going after MMJ.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Administration declares a full-on War on (Recreational) Weed (I'd find it almost unfathomable if they tried to seriously crack down on MMJ)

Your analysis is great and much appreciated but I feel like this is a very "reasonable" pre 11/9 mentality to hold. Is cracking down on medical weed really more unfathomable than Jeff "Too Racist to be a Judge in the 80s" becoming Attorney General? Or Breitbart becoming the architect of American domestic and foreign policy? It was unfathomable in an era where Republicans had to worry about winning elections. Based on their recent actions, I don't think we're still living in that era.

I think MMJ is a distant priority for the government (gonna stop saying "trump administration", might as well face up that they're the government now) but personally I can't fathom how they won't go after it. It's not a policy issue to these people, it's a culture war.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

That's my thinking. There's literally no political upside to going after weed in legal states.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Aging Millenial posted:

That's my thinking. There's literally no political upside to going after weed in legal states.

I have a sneaking suspicion that is not much of a factor in the Republican decision-making process these days.

MGDRAGOON
May 28, 2003

What you say!?!
So what would happen if legal cannabis states just passed a law saying that it would be considered an over the counter medication with no need for a prescription?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

MGDRAGOON posted:

So what would happen if legal cannabis states just passed a law saying that it would be considered an over the counter medication with no need for a prescription?

The Feds could still jam up distributors for selling a sched 1 controlled substance

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zamujasa posted:

But in all seriousness, is it possible that the issue could be tied into ~foreigners~/Mexico/other drugs and turn the public hostile towards legalization? Or could the mix of legal medical and widening recreational/decrim be enough to prevent that?

I just worry that it might even be pushed back to going after MMJ.

MMJ has always been heavily tied to racial politics and anti-latin sentiment. The whole anti-MMJ thing started as a way to demonize Mexicans, after all.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The Justice Department can't use Federal money to go after MMJ, by an act of Congress. They can try to change the law, but it passed the first time under a Republican Congress so that's unlikely.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That expires in April

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

i don't have strong feelings for or against Obama, but he can go gently caress himself for not taking the five minutes to deschedule during his 8 god drat years

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Google Butt posted:

i don't have strong feelings for or against Obama, but he can go gently caress himself for not taking the five minutes to deschedule during his 8 god drat years

Seriously, it would have put Trump in a hell of a spot. If he re-schedules it he looks like a huge rear end in a top hat and pisses off pro-pot Republicans.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

Seriously, it would have put Trump in a hell of a spot. If he re-schedules it he looks like a huge rear end in a top hat and pisses off pro-pot Republicans.

Uh, he hasn't been shy about looking like a huge rear end in a top hat and pissing off tons of Republicans. Have you been asleep since January 20th?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fishmech posted:

Uh, he hasn't been shy about looking like a huge rear end in a top hat and pissing off tons of Republicans. Have you been asleep since January 20th?

Oh sure, but add another one to the pile. Each thing he does pisses off a different type of Republican till the camel's back breaks.

I can't see any downside to Obama having hypothetically done it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

So how long until Sessions subpoenas MMJ dispensaries and cross references those records with the gun registry database?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Google Butt posted:

So how long until Sessions subpoenas MMJ dispensaries and cross references those records with the gun registry database?

That'll be one of the countless (possible) power grabs to come after the first mass shooting or terrorist attack.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 26, 2017

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

the black husserl posted:

That'll be one of the countless power grabs to come after the first mass shooting or terrorist attack.

All those private prisons are going to be filled to the brim with people serving 5 years to life for weed.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Google Butt posted:

All those private prisons are going to be filled to the brim with people serving 5 years to life for weed.

Wall street agrees with you, although the weedsmoking black teens are probably gonna have to fight the undocumented families for bunk space.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Full-legal is looking to be a tough sell in Connecticut this year, but they're proposing a number of interesting partial measures:

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Marijuana-appears-to-be-tough-sell-in-Legislature-10958065.php posted:

Marijuana appears to be tough sell in Legislature

By Ken Dixon, Connecticut Post Published 12:00 am, Saturday, February 25, 2017

Pending marijuana bills include:

Exempting veterans from paying fees for participating in the medical marijuana program.

Requiring the DMV to be notified of marijuana-related infractions by juveniles.

Allowing those convicted of possessing small amounts of marijuana before October, 2015, to apply for pistol permits from which they are currently banned.

Republican and Democratic versions of the retail sale and taxation of recreational marijuana.

A bill to remove previous marijuana-related convictions as barriers to obtaining marijuana-related business licenses.

Two Republican bills on blood testing for drivers suspected of marijuana intoxication.

Establishing a 6 percent tax on ales of medical marijuana.

Another would allow patients from out-of-state medical-marijuana programs to visit marijuana dispensaries here while visiting.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Latest from Sessions on cannabis:

quote:

*He repeated his disdain for drugs, including marijuana. "I don't think America is going to be a better place when more people are smoking pot," he said. Sessions said he was studying an Obama-era memo that sets out priorities for federal prosecution in states which have legalized the drug in some form. The attorney general said he met Monday with his counterpart in the state of Nebraska, who expressed concerns about a "big overflow" of marijuana from Colorado, where the drug is legal. "I'm definitely not a fan of expanded use of marijuana," he said.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/27/517583304/attorney-general-jeff-session-focuses-on-violent-crime-and-police-morale

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
The nervous attitude the marijuana community currently has is testament to the need for more activism. This helplessness should remind us that there's no right and wrong but only power, and the nexus of the collective interests of law enforcement, career politicians, private prisons and the pharmaceutical industry are more impacting on society than the opinion of weed enthusiasts and those who happen to think marijuana legalization is fine. Sessions is the equivalent of a bigot when it comes to marijuana -- he is proud of his distaste for the substance itself. Just as gay marriage could not have passed without a substantial portion of the population respecting homosexuality itself, so too are we not likely to see marijuana legalization come about quicker without a substantial portion of the population coming to regard marijuana consumption more favorably and tolerably. We need to get to the place where Jeff Sessions feels the need to hold back his opinion on marijuana consumption just like he holds back his opinion on homosexuality.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Point of order: Sessions is a bigot, period. Half the reason people like him hate marijuana is due to its associations with people of color.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Aging Millenial posted:

The nervous attitude the marijuana community currently has is testament to the need for more activism. This helplessness should remind us that there's no right and wrong but only power, and the nexus of the collective interests of law enforcement, career politicians, private prisons and the pharmaceutical industry are more impacting on society than the opinion of weed enthusiasts and those who happen to think marijuana legalization is fine. Sessions is the equivalent of a bigot when it comes to marijuana -- he is proud of his distaste for the substance itself. Just as gay marriage could not have passed without a substantial portion of the population respecting homosexuality itself, so too are we not likely to see marijuana legalization come about quicker without a substantial portion of the population coming to regard marijuana consumption more favorably and tolerably. We need to get to the place where Jeff Sessions feels the need to hold back his opinion on marijuana consumption just like he holds back his opinion on homosexuality.

I don't think advocating nihilism is the answer here. Prohibition and federal meddling are already unpopular, like 80% unpopular. The general sentiment is so far unconverted into political will because of the problem of diffuse costs and concentrated benefits. What is needed is letter writing campaigns to legislators, raising campaign funds for sympathetic candadites and creating lobbies and caucuses. Populist methods work for state referenda and elitist methods work on the feds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Hmm... spillover. AFAIK cannabis is prohibited in some of neighbouring states who are complaining about Colorado. Is the AG arguing that the policy of prohibition isn't able to stop cannabis from crossing the border?

Here's a question for the AG: were the laws prohibiting cannabis stopping cannabis from crossing the border before Colorado legalised it? No? You say even more cannabis is crossing the border now? So prohibtion is actually even less effective than you originally believed?

The more they complain the better!

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 28, 2017