Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cockmaster posted:

In this case, it's not necessarily that justice and rightness are insubstantial so much as there are still many people whose perception of "justice and rightness" is utterly devoid of rational thought. The US still has a massive infestation of conservative zealots who believe that marijuana is no less harmful than crystal meth, and/or that anyone caught deviating from their obsolete morals is unworthy of compassion, legal rights, or human dignity.

Or that someone can't be both criminal and victim. Even otherwise compassionate people often have trouble with nuance. It's so frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Glumslinger posted:

I'd like to volunteer for that test next time they run it

https://twitter.com/MarijuanaPolicy/status/1176975776161439746

This would allow banks to legally work with dispensaries in states with legal weed

Are there any signs it could pass the Senate?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DeathChicken posted:

So in the latest, Jersey passed a state constitutional amendment to legalize weed back in November. This got hemhawed by the state legislature, then eventually passed to the governor...who is now sitting on it because it wouldn't jail enough kids

The post says legalize but the article says decriminalize.

Edit: actually it says both. :pwn:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dignity Van Houten posted:

In a surprise move, Virginia just voted to legalize marijuana starting in 2024. Some variant of the bill is expected to be signed by the governor.

If I'm reading this right, dispensaries open in 24, but it could be legal to have much sooner.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know that it's possible to really express how much damage America's war on drugs has done to the world.

As of this time 2020:

quote:

With a vote of 27 in favour, 25 against, and one abstention, the CND has opened the door to recognizing the medicinal and therapeutic potential of the drug, although its use for non-medical and non-scientific purposes will continue to remain illegal.  According to news reports, the decision could drive additional scientific research into the plant’s medicinal properties.
https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/12/1079132

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KillHour posted:

I don't have hard numbers on this, but I'm pretty sure a lot of states rely on federal scheduling for defining their drug laws, meaning red states are going to have to rush to pass laws specifically against marijuana if it gets unscheduled.

Also, I don't think anyone here thought the news meant legalization was due next week.