Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

drat NJ is still blue-balling: legal weed is polling 59-37 but the legislative process is going nowhere fast.

It just makes no drat sense how something that polls so high and is obvious common sense has such incredible inertia. New Jersey doesn't even have that much of a vocal iron ball of conservative rural nutjobs dragging at its ankle, unlike neighboring Pennsylvania or New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What I'm asking is why couldn't they approve it with the amendments and such? If it's got huge popular support, doing so would hurt Democrats in the next election, if they could mess around with the law in all sorts of ways to serve their goals, and they were up against a ticking clock which they can blame all their actions on, why couldn't they just do the dang thing? Who or what was stopping them??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

WampaLord posted:

It's my understanding that the President could simply deschedule it without any vote needed, simply by telling the head of the FDA "hey take weed off the schedule list" at literally anytime.

Which makes Obama's failure to do so...troubling.

This is something Obama is going to be more vilified for failing to do as the years go by like how Clinton's welfare reform and sexual assault look more awful by the year. Future generations will not get why this didn't happen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Obama's administration absolutely did take positive steps and they didn't try to deschedule for real reasons. I'm saying that in 20 years or so when a little of the nuance of our times is lost, people are going to wonder why it didn't happen. I'm saying it's going to reflect poorly on him long term.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Things are getting better and tomorrow could be a big day.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jersey's new law does not allow people to grow their own, even having one plant carries some penalties. You can only legally obtain it in a store, and stores won't exist for years. You can only legally consume it inside on your own property.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Doesn't matter until the filibuster is fixed.

Also Biden is a drug warrior reptile

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The only actual argument the anti-legalisation ghouls have left is "This isn't the weed you smoked 30 or 40 years ago, this is weed that is so strong it's essentially an opiate/psychedelic" And honestly that's a good argument because it feeds into Boomer narcissism and their fear of the present. But it doesn't seem to be taking hold as strongly as they need it to.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah there's still dry counties and things I don't think you're ever going to get WEED LEGAL EVERYWHERE. But all Americans being able to enjoy marijuana in some form in their homes without fear, that's absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/marijuana-seized-california-billion-drug-bust-illegal-cultivation/

California law enforcement seized 16 tons of weed at an illegal grow op out in the desert. But that's not the most important part of the article, the most important part is this quote:

quote:

"We're talking about the cartels," Lancaster, California, Mayor Rex Parris said at a Wednesday press conference. "We are not talking about mom and pop people selling marijuana that they grew in their backyard.

If the idea of ma and pa wholesomely growing their good ole-fashioned weed is truly here, I'm down for it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-living/not-in-my-town-many-new-jerseyans-resist-marijuana-dispensaries-close-to-home/

There's a local politico who is quoted in that article as saying that a weed shop in his town will lead to "gangs on the street"

In 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Literally some Victor Licata poo poo in 2022. 20 loving 22.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snowy posted:

Sounds like recreational retail shops could be opening in NJ in a few weeks :toot:

The CRC is the worst and I don't trust them one loving bit

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I and a friend were trying to figure out what's the farthest point from any adult-use recreational state in the continental US. How far can you possibly flee from legal weed?? I think Miami, Florida. They think Brownsville, TX. Who is correct?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

We forgot about New Mexico.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/two...ring-next-week/

63% of Pennsylvanian voters think PA should be adult use recreational legal. If there are actual regulated stores selling to actual retail customers in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania before 2030, I'll eat my hat

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pennsylvania is uniquely bad at doing anything, even compared to its neighbors. The Republicans in the state government are particularly obstructionist and the state government is a slowly shambling bureaucratic nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

020624_3 posted:

weed legalization is still a thing in 2024

It will always be a thing until we get the thing done. Then we'll start working on dumbass rules like not being able to grow your own.