Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Not to mention the records of medical "recommendations" on users who visit these dispensaries. I would not put a User database out of the realm of reality.

For over 1.4 million people? I suppose it's not impossible, but I really don't like to think about that scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Public opinion polling in the US shows around 50+% approval for recreational cannabis and 70+% approval for medical cannabis; I don't know of any simple polling on Islam to compare that too since most polls appear more nuanced, but suffice to say I imagine that weed is more popular than Muslims in the US.

Right, but are raids of patients likely to spark any backlash? I know it's a bit unprecedented, but then again so is the mess we're in now

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

If it's any consolation, the Shafer Report, with which President Nixon did wipe his rear end, probably had an influence on a good dozen states decriminalizing weed in the 1970s, and the overall momentum which slowly built up to what we have today. Though honestly I don't see it cited much directly in current weed media, which seems a shame. Though I'd also like to see the 1894 Indian Hemp Commission Report cited just because it's pretty cool and I should probably sit down and read the whole thing sometime.

Speaking of Nixon, and speaking of unrealistic dreams, I harbor a secret hope that in a "only Nixon could go to China" weird strategy, the Republicans end up being the ones to de-schedule weed in this administration.

That would certainly be interesting, but after the Duterte interaction I'm not so optimistic.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Depends on the rules committee!

Any news on how that'll go yet?

e. Also Ireland passed medical out of nowhere

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 9, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

American legion goes to bat for rescheduling

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

One of my old bosses' kids literally cannot function without CBD oil. It's sad his seizures are so severe without :(

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's more a question of practicality than anything. It'd take an absolutely ridiculous increase in funding, some way to overcome the courts being less likely to convict over low level offenses, and a huge number of suits on tenth amendment grounds.

Still, I'm pretty horrified at the prospect despite the hurdles needed to be cleared.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gail Wynand posted:

So, should I be sure to buy that sweet vaporizer I've had my eye on before Jan. 20, or are we reasonably sure those manufacturers will be safe?

that poo poo ain't illegal. it's only after it's been used that it becomes paraphernalia.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Has Trump ever offered an opinion on marijuana one way or another?

"let the states decide"

but also

"colorado is a mess"

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That expires in April

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rohrabacher-Blumenauer (formerly Rohrabacher-Farr) in the spending deal, extended to Sept.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, Sessions may not be doing much in the weed world just yet. A while back he took a meeting with Gov. Hickenlooper (D-Colo):

quote:

Hickenlooper’s chief of staff, Doug Friednash, tells us the hour-long meeting to discuss Colorado’s cannabis laws and the threat of federal intervention went amicably. The biggest takeaways, Friednash said, are that the new attorney general is far more focused on other priorities, like securing the border with a wall, than in disrupting our legal cannabis marketplace.

Sessions indicated his office was reviewing a directive — known as the Cole memo — from the Obama administration that led to the current status quo where the feds allow states that have legalized marijuana to operate without undue interference.

Friednash said the attorney general found the Cole memo “not too far from good policy.”

Yes, the law-and-order Sessions could change his mind. And President Donald Trump could get involved in unpredictable ways. It’s also possible we’re reading too much into the conversation. But the substance of the meeting in and of itself should comfort those worried about the chaos that would result if the feds decided to crash the Colorado experiment.

Importantly, the governor and the attorney general ended the meeting positively. The pair agreed to share information to help inform federal decision-making and Sessions seemed interested in a visit to our fair state.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Now that NH is soon to be surrounded by rec legal states, expect that domino to fall soon too I guess.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Actually the way the amendment process works they can just decide not to vote on them and no more protections after September 30th.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's a way to disenfranchise disproportionally Dem voters en masse.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I suppose it depends on whether or not Rohrabacher turtles and shirks his budget amendment efforts with Blumenauer

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Your typing to God's eyes

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Well, who didn't see this coming

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rohrabacher-Farr/Blumenauer renewed by voice vote

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I saw that on Reddit, and apparently it's because VT might pass it legislatively in short order, leaving them an island come July, surrounded by Quebec, VT, ME, MA on all sides.

Who knows, though. NH probably isn't getting much done.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Then there's the issue of the appropriations bill not allowing money to be used for that purpose.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

wrt the attorneys, I guess that's what that flurry of appointments was last week.

MA has a new US attny as of Dec 21 experienced in drug trafficking cases, but his stance isn't immediately clear on the subject. My guess is not too kind on the state's approach given his extensive experience and politics.

Gov. Baker (R-MA) doesn't support legalization, but stated that they support the will of the voters and are forging ahead with legalization

Office of Gov. Baker posted:

The administration [Baker admin] believes this is the wrong decision and will review any potential impacts from any policy changes by the local U.S. Attorney’s Office

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 4, 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MA might be boned

https://twitter.com/Dan_Adams86/status/949380085190152192

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

You mean a persistent erection

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

US AG for MA prioritizing opioids, immigration over marijuana

https://twitter.com/WBUR/status/956284442028453888

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oregon first at bat

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

No. It will die in the house.

e. if it's even allowed to reach a vote to begin with, which it 100% will not

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 20, 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

He'd be stupid to not try a hail Mary at this point.

Unfortunately even if it gets voted on in the Senate (Mitch wouldn't allow it), it will get blocked by Pete Sessions in the house, killing it.

gently caress you, Texas.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dumbass doesn't know that, nor could he possibly be hosed to put the effort in

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also the FDA just approved a CBD based epilepsy drug, requiring a reschedule in order for it to hit market if it ever does

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

seems like the kinda they they have to say, but will probably never ask

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Things are getting better and tomorrow could be a big day.

It'll be huge if Pete Sessions loses his seat.

Who is that jackass, you ask? This chickenfucker.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\ MI passed!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It'll be huge if Pete Sessions loses his seat.

Who is that jackass, you ask? This chickenfucker.

Update:

He lost his bid for re-election. Expect the next Congress to be interesting wrt legalization

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Upon signing into law, the farm bill will legalize hemp in the US at the federal level. CBD, THC still illegal.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Origin posted:

Our doughboy of a governor in New Hampshire is pretty dead set on opposing recreational in any form.

should be funny to see him sputter with the new congress. the repubs rammed a decrim bill down his throat a while back, the new legislators aren't going to be as kind I think, especially given the status of literally every state bordering NH

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That took them all of five seconds lmao

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Hey weedthread...does CBD have any good science to back up it's claims? I've seen an explosion of CBD product here in SoCal, but also I'm aware that a lot of research on weed is not necessarily reliable due to the Schedule 1 factor.

Beyond potentially (but not definitely) being bad for your liver and working at high doses against some forms of MS and epilepsy: no.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 13, 2019

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mostly as a result of it's property as a mild anti-inflammatory

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Are there any signs it could pass the Senate?

Apparently the chair of the finance committee (R-ID) and Rubio both support it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Just as a follow up now that we're at the 1st anniversary of legalization; I can confirm that nothing has changed from the above.

(Well, edibles are now legal but w/e)

Minus BC shuttering most of its non-gov stores, anyway