Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Yes, but.

Even envisioning the Trump administration at its most irrational, there are still practical limitations on time, people, and money that they can't overcome.

A border crackdown is way more popular, and its primary victims are non-citizens and poor, as opposed to weed crackdowns where public sentiment is in favor of legalization, and the people you can nail on legal issues are wealthy and part of a $7b industry that's incredibly touchy about its precarious position.

I really hadn't thought much about this aspect, and it's a really good point. I'd imagine a federal jury in Portland is not going to be incredibly enthused to convict the owner of a legal dispensary in their state.

Sentiment is pro legalization but that's only one part of how people will react. Sure they'll be pissed but never really expected the feds to let it happen. 2 years in I still can't believe I can walk into a pot store. Can't miss what you never had or never expected to keep in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

fishmech posted:

Well, even if it did get past Trump, you still need a bunch of states to separately legalize weed. It would make weed sales in states that already legalized safe, but it does nothing for you if you're in a state that's hardcore against weed at the state level. They could continue to make it illegal to buy, sell, and grow it.

It would remove uncertainty about whether the feds will crack down on state lawmakers or administrators. It would remove a major argument against states legalizing. The result of both of these things would likely hasten legalization. Yes, conservative states would resist and might resist for decades. However, There are many states that are close already and just need a little nudge.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

These are all weasel-y and not concrete. "It opens the door to further reforms" could be said about any change to any law. I love my boy brad and all but I don't think he's going to become a legitimate marijuana storefront owner just because it's legal now - three guesses as to what he actually does. BJS states that at most 15% of prisoners are in state prison for drugs, and that's every crime involving every drug, so marijuana is going to only be a fraction of that. For federal it's a higher percentage, but federal prison is like, a weird special case and rather small compared to the number of folks in state prison. How many of those people agreed to plead guilty, to a drug charge in exchange for having other charges dropped? Future folks in that position will plead down to something else instead.

There are lots of reasons to legalize marijuana, but a way to address mass incarceration it is not. Do we still have a prison thread? This discussion is probably better suited there honestly.

A question i've never seen answered is how many people started their criminal life with a drug conviction. We have horrible recidivism rates in part because, unless you are able to expunge your record, your employment options are restricted forever. It's not just about who is currently incarcerated for drug crimes, but who would have lived a normal life if their opportunities weren't taken away from them.