Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Along the lines of these kind of reports, the more I've been reading up on cannabis history, the more I've been struck by how often governments have commissioned cannabis reports and ignored them. The Nixon administration is a great example as noted above, where the Shafer Commission basically said "weed's not that bad and criminalizing it does more harm than good" and the expert advice was soundly ignored. On the other hand, Canada is finishing up its own study that's all but assured to legalize weed in the next year or so, and Ireland in early 2017 will put out its conclusions on medical marijuana.

At the opposite end, you do have cases like the Netherlands and Portugal. Netherlands in the 1970s decided that weed criminalization was a bad idea and opened up its huge gray area which led to its infamous "coffeeshops". Despite common belief, weed still isn't actually legal in the Netherlands, but the gray area is sweeping enough that they have a reasonably protected cannabis economy. Portugal is another case, maybe even the top case, worth reading about if you're boning up on drug history. Summarizing from memory, going towards 2000 the Portuguese government was trying to figure out how to address its skyrocketing drug problem, but they couldn't get any political consensus amongst the key players. Then in a flash of brilliance, they decided to set up a commission, and pre-emptively agree amongst the parties that no matter what the commission decided, they'd all support it. The commission came back saying "best course of action is to decriminalize all drugs" and that's Portugal today, and it largely seems to be a success.

Just a bit of deeper commission history since I mentioned India, the British Indian government held a huge study back in 1894 to find out how big a deal cannabis was, and again unsurprisingly the decision was "not really a problem".

My utterly unrealistic dream is that the US could give authority to regulate scheduling and regulation to an actual medical body with a mandate to maximize public health based on sound scientific reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Toasticle posted:

Personal anecdotal experience in IT is companies that don't deal with things like computer security is they know if they drug tested the IT department they would no longer have an IT department. While reading up on Massachusetts there was a quote from someone in Colorado saying the same thing for the ski resorts, they know if they cracked down they'd go out of business. Throwaway employees like Walmart cashiers still get tested for hiring but after that the main use seems to be getting out of paying for workplace injuries.

Amusingly this problem extends to government agencies including the FBI and NSA which are finding it increasingly difficult to recruit competent IT workers given their strict rules on past use.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

In good news the Netherlands is finally making cultivation legal :toot:

I'm always a little confused about the status of legalization in the Netherlands, but I guess it's good they're finally shining a light on the grey market

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Uhh...okay? That still doesn't make weed legalization a solution for mass incarceration. I wasn't trying to make any greater point than that.

Mass incarceration is the kind of problem that won't have a singular solution. It's the product of lots of little problems stacking up, and likewise we'll have to take the whole edifice down brick by brick. I just hope we can transition some of the legalization energy into a broader push for harm reduction rather than criminalization in our approach to other banned substances.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

These are all weasel-y and not concrete. "It opens the door to further reforms" could be said about any change to any law. I love my boy brad and all but I don't think he's going to become a legitimate marijuana storefront owner just because it's legal now - three guesses as to what he actually does. BJS states that at most 15% of prisoners are in state prison for drugs, and that's every crime involving every drug, so marijuana is going to only be a fraction of that. For federal it's a higher percentage, but federal prison is like, a weird special case and rather small compared to the number of folks in state prison. How many of those people agreed to plead guilty, to a drug charge in exchange for having other charges dropped? Future folks in that position will plead down to something else instead.

There are lots of reasons to legalize marijuana, but a way to address mass incarceration it is not. Do we still have a prison thread? This discussion is probably better suited there honestly.

This is kind of like saying mandating the installation of seatbelts was not a way to address automobile fatalities. Was putting in seatbelts enough to eliminate fatalities completely? No. Neither were laws mandating their use. Nor airbags nor carseats for children, or drunk driving laws, or drivers ed classes in highschool, or increases in the minimum age requirements for a license. However all these changes taken together have led to massive increases in driver safety. There is not and cannot be a singular solution to a complex problem like mass incarceration, and it is silly to look for a silver bullet.

Recognize the small victories, just don't forget the ultimate objective. Even a just few percent of prisoners saved and a few months off the average sentence is progress.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

"Delaware legislators say they have votes to legalize pot posted:

Delaware took a major step Thursday toward becoming the ninth state to legalize recreational marijuana use.

State legislators unveiled a bill that would allow state residents 21 and older to purchase up to an ounce of cannabis from dozens of stores that would be authorized to sell marijuana manufactured at a number of Delaware grow operations.

"House Bill 110 creates an entirely new industry in our state," said Rep. Helene Keeley, D-South Wilmington. "As the only state in a seven-hour drive to have legalized marijuana, we would become a destination that would attract out-of-state sales, which would have a benefit to our Delaware businesses."

. . .
A poll conducted by the University of Delaware last year found that more than 60 percent of state residents support full legalization of marijuana.

Gov. John Carney, however, is not one of them.

The state, his office noted, is still working to get the 6-year-old medical marijuana program fully operational and approved a law decriminalizing marijuana in 2015, downgrading possession of an ounce from a criminal offense to a civil violation, like a parking ticket.

. . .
At least 14 legislators had signed on to co-sponsor the Delaware Marijuana Control Act, including Sen. Colin Bonini, R-Dover, who last year proposed legalizing cannabis while running for governor. Keeley said she is confident the measure will get votes from two-thirds of the Senate and House members needed to pass a bill that contains new criminal penalties. In this case, those penalties relate to fines for underage consumption.

"This is where the grassroots support starts," Keeley said. "For advocates, now is their chance to call their legislator and tell them they want this."

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

It looks like Vermont is going to legalize

http://hightimes.com/news/vermont-lawmakers-approve-measure-to-legalize-recreational-marijuana/

I don't want to sound like a broken record but good omen for New Jersey

What sort of statements has the governor made? There haven't been a whole lot of governors willing to sign these sorts of bills into law.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for the update. That there's not much to discuss is a good sign honestly, even if it makes for a dull thread. The prohibitionist argument has collapsed completely and they now have nothing to say at all. Therefore there is hardly anything left to debate on the matter, we can just post the :unsmith: news as it occurs.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The last time I even remember hearing about weed in the media was NPR after the wildfires in California somberly saying how "oh no the poor weed farmers how will they recover without federal disaster relief? :smith: The prohibitionists today have nothing at all with which to condemn freedom. You can see it in their eyes, their confidence is shattered. When the subject arises their smug tight-lipped smiles fall from their faces, they stammer, get angry, change the subject. The battles near its end and all that's left is an exhausted rear-guard wavering on the cusp of a rout. The writings on the wall and the cats out of the bag.

I think at the level of national politics action is just waiting for a changing of the guard. As we phase out today's Congressmen who cut their chops during the tough on crime era Federal action becomes more likely.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That's a good chart. FivethirtyEight today had a good article on the economics of legal weed. It also good graphs.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/legal-weed-isnt-the-boon-small-businesses-thought-it-would-be/

quote:

Davenport said this consolidation of cannabis farming in Washington is just a harbinger of what’s to come. “I think what has become more clear is the inevitability of pretty large-scale production, and that is really going to start to drive down production costs,” Davenport said.

Current regulations keep pot farms from infinitely expanding, but as legalization marches forward, bigger farms could well be permitted. This summer, regulators in Washington expanded the maximum farm size from 30,000 square feet to 90,000. California plans on capping farms at 1 acre, or 43,560 square feet, when the market first launches. But the state rules do not currently stop farmers from using multiple licenses, which opens the door for larger farms.

What would happen if pot farms could be as large as wheat or corn fields? According to Caulkins, 10 reasonably sized farms could conceivably produce the entire country’s supply of tetrahydrocannabinol, pot’s most famous active chemical (usually shortened to THC).

“You can grow all of the THC consumed in the entire country on less than 10,000 acres,” Caulkins said. “A common size for a Midwest farm is 1,000 acres.”

drat it's shocking to see that price. I'm surprised I haven't heard any prohibitionists screaming about it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Martin Random posted:

hey guys what's up I'm the theoretical career civil servant attorney working for a prosecutor's office in, let's say, the western district of new york

for career advancement, I like to keep my conviction rate at 90%+

it sounds like the embattled attorney general who might get fired just issued a policy directive to crack down on marijuana and rescinded a non-binding letter of guidance

I'm betting sessions will get replaced if our big investigation into the administration goes anywhere, Friday night massacre style

I'm betting my career at the justice department will out last sessions', the next AG, and, probably, this administration.

Under Bush and Gonzales, a much yearned for yesteryear of comparative institutional legitimacy, hung juries meant we just didn't bother bringing weed cases unless there were accessory charges and on the east coast.

Every time we do a jury trial for pot west of the Mississippi, we get a hung jury. That really screws up my stats and chances at advancement in both public and private spheres.

Man, I really wanna work for Greenberg Traurig after my federal benefits vest more.

I wonder what I'll do?

The above thought experiment is going on in career-minded civil servants all up and down the prosecutorial food chain.

I believe the sessions announcement is a complete nothingburger and will have absolutely no practical impact on the federal government's enforcement of weed laws. These institutions are pretty independent, and also stacked full of career-minded, self interested lawyers who know, for fair or foul, that a prosecution made in one administration will follow them through subsequent ones, along with political consequences.

Yeah a recent illustration of this can be seen in the recent acquittal of the New Jersey "Weedman" on charges of witness tampering during a previous trial, a trial in which he also made a successful case for jury nullification.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n...2-20171211.html

quote:

Forchion’s brushes with the law also have made him into a jailhouse lawyer of sorts. In 2012, he persuaded a Burlington County jury to acquit him of charges of possessing a pound of pot after he portrayed himself as a “proud, peaceful pothead” who didn’t deserve jail time.
. . .
Forchion has a record of drug charges, including serious ones of selling marijuana. He also faces a charge of witness tampering for allegedly attempting to “out” and intimidate an informant who worked with police before they raided his restaurant.

“Because I’m a loudmouth advocate of marijuana, I’ve created a lot of enemies,” he said. Last month a jury acquitted him of one of two counts of tampering, but was hung on the second. Prosecutors said they will retry him on that charge.

Article also raises a lot of good points about how many of the regulations around the growing marijuana industry are inevitably going to act to exclude many minorities like Forchion from participating.

quote:

“Legalization is coming, but the people who are the victims of the unjust laws are being shut out. I’ve been the biggest advocate, and I can’t get into this multi-billion industry that’s coming because of laws that say if you are a felon, you can’t be part of it,” he said in a nearly two-hour phone conversation from jail.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

There is also a push to get question on the ballot in Maryland, but I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be non binding resolution or if it’s for a constitutional amendment

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

On the subject of big tobacco,

Discendo Vox mentioned in the Trump thread how he hopes that even as legalization goes forward, that he hopes it will remain a Scheduled substance, if not Schedule I then on some other level. His primary concern was that putting responsibility over cannabis safety under the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) would actually be a pretty bad regulatory system, because the ATF is badly designed. While he didn't go into detail, he suggested the ATF is subject to regulatory capture by the tobacco industry and tends to be overly deferential to the interests of big business to the detriment of consumer safety.

It seems like a no brainer to keep the FDA in charge of regulating marijuana, however this line of reasoning opens up a big can of worms. The Scheduling system strictly regulates drugs based on potential for harm and medical value, it makes no allowance for recreation as a legitimate use of any substance. Keeping cannabis on the scheduling system, but ALSO legalizing it for recreational use, will necessarily mean radically changing what scheduling means. If you can go to a local dispensary and legally buy a Schedule I drug with a high potential for abuse and no legitimate use (according to the FDA), what does the scheduling actually mean?

I think everyone here probably agrees marijuana should be regulated. However how should we do it? Is the ATF the best choice? How do we minimize the ability of the industry to become predatory, like the tobacco industry?

In my opinion the scheduling system should be reformed to accommodate recreation as a legitimate use case, and alcohol and tobacco should be placed within the same regulatory framework. We shouldn't be carving out weird and incoherent regulatory exceptions for every substance that we decide is okay to have fun with, rather we should establish a general system that can coherently apply good consistent policy. The big upside of this reform is that by establishing general regulations for recreation use, we can apply it forward to any other substance. Ultimately this seems like the most forward and effective means of dismantling the punitive system of criminal punishment that has resulted from the drug war, and minimizing harm as the public is exposed to present and future drugs regardless of how dangerous they may be.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Right now every state has its own system which is a little bit different and as far as I'm aware, independent of any other bureaucratic systems for controlling alcohol or tobacco. That just seems inefficient to me, and it may also be vulnerable to regulatory capture by big industry. If we can get legalization on a federal scale, how are we going to regulate?

It's really a great luxury to even feel like we have this problem.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/391186-senators-introduce-bill-to-protect-states-from-federal-marijuana

Senators introduce bipartisan bill to protect state laws on marijuana posted:

Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) introduced a bipartisan bill on Thursday that would allow states to regulate marijuana without federal interference.

Warren and Gardner, who both represent states with legal recreational pot, introduced the legislation, known as Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Through Entrusting States (STATES) Act, as a response to the Trump administration's hard-line stance against the drug.

The bill would amend the Controlled Substances Act to include a framework that says it no longer applies to those following state, territory or tribal laws “relating to the manufacture, production, possession, distribution, dispensation, administration, or delivery of [marijuana]."

Washington Post had an opinion piece about this. Their take was that Jeff Sessions attempts to encourage a reversal on marijuana legalization has started inspiring a bipartisan backlash aimed at normalizing the status of the industry. As the marijuana industry becomes increasingly entrenched I think we are going to see a much more concerted push for bills like this, although I think this one will almost certainly fail.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

WampaLord posted:

It's my understanding that the President could simply deschedule it without any vote needed, simply by telling the head of the FDA "hey take weed off the schedule list" at literally anytime.

Which makes Obama's failure to do so...troubling.

I was looking at this and the legal situation appears really complicated. Like it seems like he might be able to do that. . . but would need his Attorney General (Jeff Sessions), to sign on. Or maybe not. Or maybe the executive could unilaterally deschedule, if marijuana weren't internationally banned by UN treaty, according to some law.

If any law goons understand the issues involved it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about the Executive's control over federal scheduling. Even if it is just fantasy under the current administration.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It's pretty encouraging to see these kinds of moves in red country. Apparently even in Texas there's majority support for full legalization in just about every demographic. Even Republicans. We're fast approaching the point where federal action becomes likely.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Looks like a marijuana legalization initiative is going to make it onto the ballot in North Dakota of all places. Still signatures still needs to be certified but the organizers were pretty well over the requirements. Polls are at something like 46% support so passage will be dicy. As the state has a small population any support for the campaign should go a long way, it’s important for the movement to start wracking up wins in middle America.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oklahoma activists are claiming they now have enough signatures for a marijuana legalization referendum to get it on the ballot. This just after they got a really strong medical marijuana referendum passed this spring. Oklahoma’s lawmakers don’t seem to happy and could keep it off the ballot until 2020 if they want to be difficult. However this might be a mistake as current polling suggests the measure would fail.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

what, no that's not how that works.

If it worked that way you could make cold edibles buy just soaking weed in milk in the fridge.

E; you can't, and

:toxx: if someone Paypal's me the money, I'll eat an ounce of your choice on stream to prove it.

Surprisingly if you go looking for bhang recipes (authentic recipes by and for people from India, not some dumb poo poo on Vice or w/e) they often don't involve heat all.

Here's one example which starts with 2-3 g of "female cannabis leaves and flowers" per serving:

https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/how-to-make-bhang-ki-thandai/

quote:

1. Grind all the dry ingredients to powder using the pestle and mortar and set aside
  2. Pound the fresh cannabis to a pulp and add to the bowl along with the water and sugar
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and set aside for two hours
  4. Strain the mixture using fine muslin, until the residue is dry to the touch
  5. Add milk to the extracted liquid, and chill until ready to serve
  6. Prior to serving, garnish with chopped nuts, rose petals or mint leaves

I'm not sure, I don't smoke weed anyway, but I think the decarboxylation is accomplished somehow mechanically through pulping the fresh cannabis. Some recipes just use a blender for this step. In videos of street merchants doing this in india its a really involved process, They fricken go to town on the cannabis for 10, 20 minutes. From the comments on this recipe:

krish posted:

the GRINDING TO PASTE by stone and pestle most important step in the process if you turn to paste by mixer or grinder its simply a waste seems maybe tc not activated by that way.

you can get in west bengal in a puja item shop also called dasakarma bhandar.ask for
"khaoar siddhi".u get dried leaves of cannabis then as usual as mentioned in post soak in water atleast 1-2 hrs then paste with sweets or sugar yields pretty good result.
u can drink the cannabis-sweet(sugar or any sweets and pls add a lot sweets ) paste with water too.
always remember to make a thorough and very good paste.it takes time and a bit stressful to your hands but believe me its worth it.

There's some super weirdo juicer freak on youtube who was putting cannabis leaves into his vegetable smoothies and accidentally got high as gently caress, so it's not anything to do with unique Indian cannabinoids or anything.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So a little news roundup on legalization:

In North Dakota, the legalization initiative has had it's signatures verified and it has qualified for the ballot. There hasn't been a lot of polling on the issue but the last available data suggests opinion is fairly split, with a bit more support for legalization but a lot of undecideds.

Unfortunately in Oklahoma it turns out the group claiming they had enough signatures for a ballot on recreational was bluffing. Evidence was support there was pretty weak anyway, so it was a long shot anyway. There is good news for Okies though, as activists have successfully organized against reactionary efforts to water down the extremely broad medical ballot passed during this summer's primary. The State Department of Health is predicting as many as 80,000 people may apply for medical licenses.

One of the most interesting American developments is happening in the Northern Marianas islands. For those not familiar, its a US dependency near Guam which includes the island of Saipan. Both the Marianas house and Senate have passed recreational bills, and they are now expected to come to pass a compromise and send it to the Governor, who is expected to pass it. This will likely be the first legislative legalization in the US to include retail sales. Interestingly, unlike most recreational regulations in the continental US, this bill is set to legalize cannabis "lounges." This makes sense as it seems one of the primary motivations for legalization is to increase revenues from tourists, so giving them a place to smoke is logical.

Al jazeera has reported the there is a major legislative push to legalize medical marijuana production in Lebanon. Lebanon has long been a major exporter of illicit hasheesh, so it can be seen as an effort to shine a light on much of the economy that is presently hidden. The emphasis however is totally on exports, with little prospect of relaxing much of the regulation within Lebanon. The idea is to cash in on growing markets in Europe and elsewhere for a medical product that still has strict limits on cultivation.

The award for least expected cannabis legalization goes to . . . Georgia! Not the state, the country. I'll just quote VOA on the subject here, it's very strange.

quote:

It is now legal to smoke marijuana in the former Soviet Republic of Georgia, but there's a caveat.

At 4:20 p.m. local time on Monday, July 30, the Georgian Constitutional Court legalized marijuana consumption while retaining laws against growing, storing and selling the drug.

In the historic ruling that subverted decades of harshly restrictive drug policies, Georgia’s increasingly liberal constitutional court declared smoking cannabis an act "guaranteed by the right of free self-development,” making it the first former Soviet republic to legalize recreational usage.

For years, the southern Caucasus nation of roughly 3.7 million was home to what many civil activists called a repressive regime of narco-politics, where even casual users faced up to 14 years in prison.

Longtime critics of Georgia's hardline drug policies said that the laws were being exploited to justify heavy-handed policing tactics within the country's thriving nightlife scene.

The court said punishing an individual for consuming cannabis would comply with the constitution only if consumption put a third party at risk. The decision was prompted by a lawsuit filed by activists of the libertarian Girchi party.

Retail sale is still illegal but hey, it's still a big step forward.

Activists gather during a rally in support of marijuana legalization in central Tbilisi, Georgia, June 2, 2015.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So looks like New Jersey's legalization bill is finally ready for consideration in the legislature:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/09/19/new-jersey-legalize-marijuana/

quote:

LINDEN, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) – After campaign promises, wild speculation and political debate, a plan forward for legal weed in the Garden State now has a formal draft.

A big stack of papers on the desk of State Senator Nicholas Scutari is the final draft of his bill to legalize recreational marijuana in New Jersey, reports CBS2’s Meg Baker.

If passed in its latest form, the bill would legalize the possession and personal use of small amounts of marijuana for people at least 21 years old on their own property – not in public except for designated areas.

“One of the things people will be in interested in, not smoke shops but consumption lounges areas to consume legally, not in public but in a private industry setting,” said Scutari.

Do any legal states currently allow consumption in bar-like setting? That's also part of the legalization bill passed in the Northern Marianas. It will be nice if going forward more legalization initiatives make provisions for consumption in more social settings.

I don't think the Northern Marianas' governor has officially ratified their legalization bill yet, all the articles on it are from last month when the regional Senate passed it onto his desk. Everyone seems pretty confident it's going forward one way or the other though, so pretty soon Saipan will probably become Asia's top pot tourism hotspot.

oh whoa :eyepop: just saw this article now looking for info on New Jersey's bill, but recreational cannabis is now going to be completely legal in South Africa apparently? :2bong:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19/health/south-africa-cannabis-private-use-intl/index.html

quote:

(CNN)South Africa's Constitutional Court approved the private use and cultivation of cannabis Tuesday, which could be a step toward broader legalization.

In a unanimous ruling hailed by activists campaigning for the legalization of marijuana, judges declared unconstitutional three sections of the Constitution that prohibited cannabis consumption, possession and cultivation.
The ruling says Parliament should change the law within 24 months.

It's de facto legal already in a lot of Africa, but with changing norms in the US and Canada I expect to see formal legal changes in more of Africa in the near future. With recreational use legal in Canada and South Africa, I wonder if we should expect cannabis reform to come soon in the other big British commonwealth states like Australia and New Zealand?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Things are getting better and tomorrow could be a big day.

The biggest question mark will probably be North Dakota’s recreational ballot question. Keven Sabet and SAM put a lot of money into defeating the measure, and there was little funding for yes. I think SAM alone spent about 10 times as much as the biggest pro legalization organization. Tactically this makes more sense than investing in say Michigan as even though ND has a small population and is less important, that also means each dollar has more power to change the result.

The next big battle will be at the national level, and ND has just as many votes in the Senate as California. Building local industries in these small conservative states is going to be important in getting a national consensus for complete legalization.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

North Dakota lost ;__;

Maybe as consolation New Jersey will finally get its act together and legalize before the end of 2018

Also this happened like last week but marijuana was decriminalized in Mexico by the Supreme Court. The new President's administration has also made encouraging, if vague, noises about full legalization.

https://mjbizdaily.com/court-rulings-incoming-ministers-mexico-legalize-cannabis/

quote:

A recent Supreme Court ruling and newly elected government suggest Mexico could soon follow Canada down the road of cannabis legalization.

Mexico’s Supreme Court ruled Oct. 31 – for the fifth time since November 2015 – that a total prohibition of recreational marijuana consumption is unconstitutional.

By reaching five similar rulings, the Supreme Court crossed the threshold that establishes jurisprudence.

The ruling doesn’t allow commercialization, but it does permit personal possession and home growing.

Immediate consequences of the ruling include:

The Federal Committee for Protection from Sanitary Risks (COFEPRIS ) will have to authorize applications of people looking to grow marijuana for personal use.
Mexican courts are required to follow this precedent in similar cases.
Parliament must act to amend the necessary laws to reflect the court’s ruling.

quote:

Marcelo Ebrard, who will become foreign minister when Mexico’s new government takes office Dec. 1, told reporters the nation could “absolutely” follow Canada’s example and legalize marijuana.

“We think it is a very interesting option in the short term for Mexico,” he told reporters, according to the Agence France-Presse.

“We think there are two options: the Canadian model or the Uruguay model.”

Ebrard was among seven members of President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s incoming cabinet – including former Supreme Court Judge Olga Sanchez Cordero – who were in Ottawa last week to meet their Canadian counterparts.

Cordero, who will be the first woman to head up Mexico’s Office for Domestic Affairs, said in June she would ask the new president to legalize cannabis from seed to sale, even for recreational purposes.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So besides those states which ratified ballot initiates, there's now a number of newly elected governors and other state leaders who campaigned on legalizing recreational. It's highly likely we will see legislation in at least a few of these over the next two years.

The newly elected governors in Illinois, New Mexico, and Minnesota all came out in support of recreational. The new Governor of Wisconsin has also supports decriminalization, and has suggested putting a non-binding question before voters and that he would abide by the decision.

Incumbent governor Andrew Cuomo in New York has previously opposed recreational, however during this past election he mellowed his tone and if the New York legislature puts a bill on his desk, my impression is he will sign it.

DC may also finally be able to open recreational stores. This is because Maryland representative Andy Harris was defeated. For those who don't know, Congress has large powers to interfere in DC governance, and Andy Harris had systematically blocked efforts to set up a legal market. As a result most pot is sold through weird and semi-legal grey-markets, so this is a big plus for Washington.

Additionally New Jersey is still slowly moving towards legalization. The state missed the self-imposed Halloween deadline, and leadership is now pushing for something by December.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2018/11/21/nj-legal-weed-lawmakers-unveil-new-legalization-bills-monday-vote/2077813002/

quote:

After months of delays and strained negotiations, New Jersey lawmakers on Wednesday unveiled the bills they hope will legalize marijuana for recreational use, expand the state's medical marijuana program and overhaul the rules for expunging drug-related and other violations.

Votes in legislative committees are scheduled for Monday, with votes by the full Senate and Assembly possible in December. If the bills are approved and then signed by Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat who supports legalization, New Jersey would become the 11th state to allow adults to possess and use small amounts of marijuana, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Looks like New Jersey is finally going to get a bill up for vote.

Connecticut is also looking plausible. I think it's likely the whole Northeast (not including PA) gets recreational within the next two years.

https://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archives/entry/20181119_will_connecticut_be_next/

quote:

HARTFORD, CT — Gov.-elect Ned Lamont told Connecticut Public Radio listeners earlier this month that “legalizing marijuana is an idea whose time has come,” and with Massachusetts ready to start sales Tuesday advocates hope Connecticut is next.
. . .
It’s not a far-fetched idea any longer. Connecticut came close last year.

In 2018, six bills related to legalizing and regulating cannabis in Connecticut were introduced and four hearings were held on the issue. A bill that would begin planning for the legalization of recreational marijuana in Connecticut was sent to the House after narrowly passing the Appropriations Committee by a 27-24 vote.

A proponent of legalization, Rep. Josh Elliott, D-Hamden, said the House Democratic caucus was 17 votes shy of passage earlier this year.

But that was before the recent election when Democrats held an 80-71 majority over Republicans. Following the last election, they currently hold a 92-59 majority over Republicans in the House.

Elliott believes they will be able to get it over the finish line this year. He thinks it will happen if the Progressive Caucus gets behind it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ammonsa posted:

The ACT in Australia is going to pass a bill legalising cannabis next year. It'll be the first territory/state in Australia that will have legal weed.

Here's a link

After South Africa legalized possession last year, I've been wondering if the movement would make increasing headway in the other commonwealth states. Do you see this kind of legislation expanding in Australia/New Zealand in the near future? What about recreational sales?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

New Jersey politicians finally getting their act together:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02/18/marijuana-legalization-new-jersey-gov-phil-murphy-sen-nicholas-scutari/

quote:

The stalemate between Gov. Phil Murphy and other state leaders over marijuana appears to have been broken. The primary sponsor of the bill to legalize says they have reached a deal on how to tax and regulate the drug, CBS2’s Meg Baker reported Monday.

Instead of a percentage tax on price, legal marijuana would be taxed based on weight, giving the state a level of predictability on revenue.

“There will be a $42 excise tax on every ounce that is sold, regardless of price,” said state Sen. Nicholas Scutari, D-Union. “There will be a three-year look-back in case we need to reevaluate that because it is a possibility that the price goes down so low that $42 becomes unmanageably high.”

If the price of the drug stays high, New Jersey will have one of the lowest marijuana tax rates in the country. But if the price plummets, that could change.

That’s why Scutari said a five-person oversight commission will be formed to set prices and regulations. Another point agreed upon, Gov. Murphy will have three direct appointments.

This dispute, ostensibly over taxes, has held up legislation for like six months now at least. Also important though was how people would be appointed to the oversight committee. Honestly starting to suspect the real impasse was over control over the commission. Because these commissions have a lot of power to effect retailers, lobbyists and donors will give a lot of money to people willing to craft regulations to suit their interests. So by controlling appointments, politicians get access to a huge new avenue for fundraising. There's also opportunity for shadier financial deals, but I'm sure New Jersey politicians are above that sort of thing.

Either way hopefully this legislation can finally advance.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Do you guys think Oklahoma or Florida could get recreational legalization via referendum in the next election? Is there an effort to get that on the ballot?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Yiggy posted:

The thought of some day possibly seeing Texas state troopers camping the state line to try and catch people bringing in legal weed from... Oklahoma... is just so strange to me. Didn’t think I’d see prohibition tipping away in my lifetime.

New Mexico very nearly ended up legalizing marijuana this month, but the bill has been stalled in committee. It is likely to come back in the not so distant future though, there's widespread support in the state. Texas could have a lot of legal neighbors soon.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-mexico-lawmakers-send-marijuana-decriminalization-bill-to-governor/

quote:

New Mexico is likely to become the next state to decriminalize marijuana, with legislation to do so on its way to the desk of Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D).

With just hours left in the legislative session, lawmakers gave final approval to bill to remove criminal penalties for cannabis possession early on Saturday morning.

The win for marijuana reformers comes amidst disappointment that a broader bill to legalize and regulate cannabis sales that was passed by the House earlier this month ended up getting stalled in a Senate committee.

The successful decriminalization bill was first approved earlier this month by the Senate. The House took it up on Friday, approving minor amendments made by the Judiciary Committee, and the proposal then went back to the originating chamber for a final vote to be sent to Grisham for her signature.

The more far-reaching legalization legislation was passed by the House on March 8. It then advanced through the Senate Public Affairs Committee last week but got stuck in that chamber’s Finance Committee, where the panel’s chairman refused to bring it to a vote.

That bill was unique compared to marijuana legalization laws that have been enacted in other states in that it would have mostly put legal cannabis sales in state-run stores (while making some allowances for the licensing of private retailers).

Meanwhile, the decriminalization proposal, sponsored by Joseph Cervantes (D), would decrease penalties for possession of up to half an ounce of cannabis to a $50 fine, treated as a penalty assessment misdemeanor without the threat of jail time.

this is the year legalization is finally able to win votes in legislatures, rather than only via ballot initiatives. I think the big change is that industry and capital finally became interested, and with their interest came lobbying power. Honestly I've really struggled to understand how marijuana reform, despite being so broadly popular, received so little support from our representatives. It's really paints an unflattering picture of our democracy.

Only now that people are waking up to how much loving money is at stake will lawmakers take action. By comparison all of the issues of justice and rightness are insubstantial to our leaders.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Why is it so hard for those states to get their act together? Legal weed has been a slam dunk for a couple of years now.

I still struggle to understand the political dynamics that maintain the status quo. I mean, a Monmouth poll in February found 62% of New Jersey residents supported legalization, and 72% of democrats. The entire state Democratic leadership was behind this bill. Yet the legislature still refuses to take action. It doesn't make sense to me. Legalization now has science, business, and popular support behind it and yet few legislative representatives are willing to fight for it.

I've noticed an odd bifurcation on marijuana issues between two types of politicians. People representing local constituencies like state representatives have been very very slow to support reform. However people in holding statewide office like governorships have shifted much more quickly to support legalization. Governors in New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Illinois, and many other states are all explicitly supportive of legalization. However their legislatures remain intransigent and inactive. I wonder if governors are under more pressure to conform to popular opinion, while local representatives are more effected by gross NIMBY impulses of local politics that tend to be more conservative.

Anyway while New Jersey legalization may be dead in the Senate, I think its still possible the legislature could vote to include it as a ballot question in November?

https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2019/03/we-already-know-nj-wants-to-legalize-weed-say-top-dems-putting-it-on-the-ballot-is-a-last-resort.html

quote:

MAR 2-- A new proposal in New Jersey’s ongoing debate over legal marijuana popped up this week: a plan to have the state’s voters ultimately decide whether to legalize the drug in the Garden State.

But the state’s leaders say they’re not in favor — at least not yet — of taking that route.

That’s because Gov. Phil Murphy, state Senate President Stephen Sweeney, and state Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin are all sticking to long-delayed plans for the New Jersey Legislature to pass a bill that would make possessing recreational marijuana legal for people 21 and older.

Sweeney, D-Gloucester, said a voter referendum would be only a last resort if leaders can’t convince enough state lawmakers to support that measure.
. . .
Matthew Saidel, a spokesman for Murphy’s office, said Thursday that Murphy believes marijuana should be legalized by elected officials.

“He looks forward to continuing the productive discussions with the Legislature and building on the recent progress they have made together,” Saidel said.

But the referendum proposal could be attractive to lawmakers who are either against legalization or on the fence. Having voters decide could give them cover.

For example, Assemblyman Anthony M. Bucco, R-Morris, said he’s against the legislation but would consider supporting a referendum.

“I have mixed emotions about this whole thing,” Bucco said. “I support the social justice aspect. I support expanding medical marijuana. But the recreational aspect scares me.”

Sweeney, the Senate president, said he’s not worried about calls for a referendum giving undecided lawmakers more reason to avoid taking a public position.

State Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg, D-Bergen, said she hopes it doesn’t come to that.

“Why does anybody need cover?” Weinberg asked. “We already know the public supports it.”

Under the referendum proposal, the Senate and Assembly would still have to pass the plan and Murphy would have to sign it within 70 days of the November election for it to get on the ballot. If not, it would have to wait for the 2020 election.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/nyregion/new-jersey-marijuana.html

Sounds like a few black Democrats blocked it because it would be "bad for their communities"?

I'm really curious how they came to that conclusion given the significantly higher incarceration rate among blacks for marijuana offenses, and the fact that the bill would have let people expunge the drug convictions from their records and let people out of prison.

"The public has not properly been educated on the topic of recreational marijuana,’’ said Senator Ronald L. Rice, a Democrat who represents Newark and emerged as one of the main opponents of legalization. “People don’t realize, particularly people in urban communities, how it will affect their lives. In urban communities, neighborhoods will struggle against the spread of ‘marijuana bodegas’ disguised as dispensaries.”

I mean there's the charitable and the uncharitable interpretation, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

The charitable assumption is that these politicians started their careers in the 1990s when tough on crime was seen as good and desirable my many minorities who lived in the worst effected communities. Aggressive measures were seen as the only way to get violence under control. Those instincts, as well as moral disapproval of intoxication and drugs shared by many older people, are just more important to these leaders than the disproportionate effect of prohibition on minorities.

The uncharitable interpretation is that they are really holding out for political favors and patronage. I saw some writers in local new jersey papers suggesting that at least. Unfortunately its hard to divine what's going on in the smoke filled backrooms.

However the reason I'm suspicious their may be some hard political bargaining going on is just how hard Representative Scutari and Gov. Murphy fought over appointments to the marijuana oversight commission. Whether the legislature of governor would appoint the commissioners held the legislation up for months. Why would would such an arcane bureaucratic issue be so important that that the Governor would stall his signature legislation over it?

Money. What else could it be? That commission will have immense power over the shape of the legal market. That means any local business person interested in running a dispensary is going to need to be in its good graces. What does this have to do with commission appointments? It means dispensary owners are going make fat donations to the political campaigns of whoever appoints the commissioners. It's going to make for a fundraising bonanza for the people in charge. That's why the Governor and State Senate both wanted control and ultimately had to agree to share it.

I don't know what if any other wheeling and dealing might be going on behind the scenes. Maybe its all above board. Or maybe somebody thinks they can get a better deal by holding out.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

One bright bit of news today:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/guam-becomes-first-u-s-territory-to-send-marijuana-legalization-to-governor-in-2019/

quote:

Lawmakers in Guam voted in favor of a bill to legalize marijuana on Wednesday, which means the island territory could become the first place in the U.S. to end cannabis prohibition in 2019.

The legislation, which would permit adults 21 and older to possess, consume, cultivate and purchase certain amounts of marijuana from licensed retailers, now heads to the desk of the Guam’s pro-reform governor.

The governor is expected to sign this into law. Guam only has 164,000 people and no voting representation in Congress so this is unlikely to have much national impact. Still, this seems to be part of a broader shift on cannabis in Oceania that has also included legalization in the Northern Marianas. Guam is a major tourist destination and military hub so this could have a positive effect on the perception of legalization for people visiting and in Oceania generally.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Abugadu posted:

We'll be one of the only tourist spots in the entire eastern hemisphere with legal weed. Local use will likely go unchanged, but tourism could spike if we implement this correctly.

Governor still has to sign it, but she campaigned on a pro-weed platform. Only downside is that growing is mandated to be done under lock and key. With the amount of open agricultural spaces we have, and the amount of sun we get, we could have been sprinting out ahead of everyone. Winery tours, but for weed. Might happen in another 10 years, but our head start will be quite diminished by then.

Yeah now you are competing with CNMI. I’m curious how the Japanese tourists will react and if they will have much interest.

If polls are to be believed it’s likely New Zealand will legalize when they have their referendum in 2020. I’m surprised Hawaii has remained so opposed to legalization but normalizing it across the Pacific will I hope exert cultural influence on them to reform.

I remember CNMI was going to have like weed bars where tourists could smoke legally, is Guam going to do that too?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Illinois statehouse has released their proposal for legalization:

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-05-06/illinois-could-become-11th-state-to-legalize-marijuana-under-new-measure

quote:

ILLINOIS GOV. J.B. Pritzker and several state lawmakers have proposed a long-awaited bill that would legalize and regulate the use and sale of recreational marijuana in the state next year.

Under the measure, which was announced by Pritzker on Saturday and was expected to be introduced Monday, adults 21 and over could legally purchase marijuana for recreational use from licensed retailers. Adults could also cultivate up to five marijuana plants at home.

The bill would also expunge the records of people with minor cannabis convictions and direct funding to communities most affected by the prohibition of the drug.

It is expected to pass the Illinois General Assembly's House and Senate, both of which are controlled by Democrats. If approved, the state would become the 11th in the U.S. to legalize cannabis for recreational use. The measure would take effect on Jan. 1, 2020, but the state would not begin licensing retailers until that spring.

Illinois goons, what's your sense on how likely this is to pass? Legal cannabis in Illinois would be quite the coup. Really gonna make New Jersey look silly if Illinois beats them to the recreational market.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oh holy poo poo, recreation legalization just passed the Illinois Senate and House, and the governor is saying he'll sign it!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/31/legal-marijuana-illinois-could-become-11-th-state-legalize-weed/1305090001/

quote:

Illinois is poised to legalize marijuana sales with sweeping legislation that would also automatically expunge the criminal records of people convicted of minor pot possession.

State lawmakers gave final approval to the bill Friday and Gov. JB Pritzker said he will sign the measure, which make Illinois the first state to legalize marijuana sales via its legislature. Most other states that have legalized cannabis did so via a ballot initiative process. Vermont's legislature legalized cannabis, but prohibited commercial sales.

"This will have a transformational impact on our state, creating opportunity in the communities that need it most and giving so many a second chance," Pritzker said in a statement. "In the interest of equity and criminal justice reform, I look forward to signing this monumental legislation."

This is a big surprise for me. Until this week the noise was the bill was doomed to fail, with bitter fighting over criminal record expungement and other details. This is a huge coup for legalization, and will make Illinois the first state to legalize true recreational markets via the legislature.

Feels really good to see this passed after big disappointments in New Jersey, Connecticut and New York. As a large populous state neighboring many places that still have very restrictive cannabis laws, I hope this is going to add pressure for liberalization in places like Iowa and Kentucky.

More from the article:

quote:

Money raised by the new taxes would first be dedicated to expunging an estimated 770,000 minor cannabis-related cases, according to the bill's language. Expungement has long been a goal of marijuana-legalization advocates, who argued the federal government's so-called War on Drugs disproportionately targeted minorities. Other states have similar provisions, usually added after the fact, but Illinois' law is the first to contain such a sweeping expungement provision from the start.
. . .
Anti-legalization groups had fought the Illinois proposal, and promised they weren't done opposing it. "Tough to win in a state where the Gov shares the same last name as MPP’s chair," tweeted Kevin Sabet of the group Smart Approaches to Marijuana. "But there’s more to come. We’re not going to let the Land of Lincoln go to pot just yet."

lol u mad Sabet :smugdog::pipe:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Attack!, you'll probably get a better response in the Goon Doctor, or even maybe TCC, although you'll have to be able to filter fact from cheerleading in TCC. Really if you want medical advice you should ask a real doctor.

Nevertheless, to give a wildly unqualified opinion based on the distant memory of a bunch of articles I read five years ago, there's not much cancer risk from smoking cannabis. Nor is there much risk of emphysema. This is surprising, because while THC is not a carcinogen, particulate carbon definitely is and you're inhaling both. It also surprising nobody ever found an association given how badly so many researchers wanted to find an actual justification for prohibition.

However there may still be a price to pay for toking up. Heavy use has been associated with a faster than normal decrease in IQ with aging. So for every decade you smoke three joints a day, you might expect to lose 1 extra IQ point by the age of fifty. I made those numbers up but you get the idea. IQ decline is normal with aging, so its not the worst thing in the world to lose.

The second price exacted on users by the devil herb is that cannabis smoking has been related to gum recession. I'm no mouth doctor but I'm pretty sure that's bad and increases the risk of tooth loss and other mouth problems.

I cannot remember any other dangers, however I am going off very distant memories and its possible everything I remember just came from a few studies that could not be replicated, and that new research has changed the picture.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Clearly the solution is to inhale through your nose.

No legalization in Ohio this year, but the medical stuff is about that same price as gray market stuff and definitely higher quality so hopefully soon.

i read an article the other day saying the organization that ran the campaign for the ballot initiative has folded and will no longer exist. Unless people get organized cannabis won't only not be on the ballot this year, it won't be on the ballot next year either.

Really Ohio should have just bit the bullet and gone with lovely corporate legalization in 2016. It wasn't great but it was better than the status quo you got stuck with instead

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/06/19/marijuana-legalization-no-measure-2019-ballot-ohio/1487294001/

quote:

Ohio Families for Change, the group backing the Marijuana Rights and Regulations amendment, deactivated its Facebook page and website long ago. It closed out its campaign finance account with the state on April 18.

“Ohio Families for Change, which is a former client of mine, has no plans on advancing their ballot language in either 2019 or 2020,” former campaign spokesman Jonathan Varner told The Enquirer.

Varner said he stopped working for the campaign in November 2018.

Varner said the proposed measure was well-drafted and proposed ample regulations and consumer protections and didn’t lock in profits for specific people. A failed 2015 Ohio marijuana legalization measure was funded by 10 investor groups that owned the only 10 sites were commercial marijuana could be grown.
. . .
Ohio Families for Change raised only $5,627 since March 2018, according to state campaign finance reports, and reported $67,722 in in-kind contributions from volunteers. Responsible Ohio, the group behind the only marijuana measure to qualify for the Ohio ballot, spent $21.8 million during its unsuccessful 2015 campaign.

At this point I'd bet North Dakota gets legal weed before Ohio. The state just doesn't have the interest or organization to push anything through.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I bought some cod oil inn a state where real pot is illegal and it definitely got me mildly high. Bought another container and it feels like nothing. I’ve heard quality control can be all over the place so I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the cbd hype is people getting poorly controlled product with thc and falsely attributing those effects to cbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Something's fishy here.

lol whoops

now I'm wondering if I can get me some fish oil from that dreamfish what makes you hallucinate. Could be the next big fad supplement