Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Just as a follow up now that we're at the 1st anniversary of legalization; I can confirm that nothing has changed from the above.

(Well, edibles are now legal but w/e)

I'm not sure what you were expecting to change?

Of course, there may actually be changes going on that are too subtle for you to notice. For example research in the United States in places where cannabis were legalized found a number of benefits. The most obvious of course are there are fewer people being arrested. Also they found improvement in clearance rates for violent crimes, that is the proportion of criminal investigations that end in trials/convictions. This is one index of the effectiveness of law enforcement. A suggested cause of the increase was that police were wasting less time chasing kids smoking up in parks and more time working serious cases.

I don't know how much tax revenue Canada has earned, but I doubt it is high enough to be obviously apparent to anybody but the government accountants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/alabama-lawmakers-approve-medical-marijuana-legalization-bill/

quote:

An Alabama Senate committee approved a bill on Wednesday that would legalize medical marijuana in the state.

The legislation would allow patients with qualifying conditions to purchase cannabis products from licensed dispensaries. It would be a limited system, however, prohibiting patients from smoking or vaping marijuana.

The Senate Judiciary Committee cleared the bill in a 8-1 vote, with one abstention. The next stop for the legislation will be the Senate floor.

The proposal would establish the Alabama Medical Cannabis Commission, which would be responsible for overseeing a patient registry database, issuing medical cannabis cards and approving licenses for marijuana dispensaries, cultivators, transporters and testing facilities.

This vote comes two months after a panel created by the legislature, the Medical Cannabis Study Commission, issued a recommendation that Alabama implement a medical cannabis program.

this bill seems likely to pass. although who knows, it could be watered down so much as to be near meaningless. still medical marijuana continues to spread across even the most conservative regions of America. Establishing a nationwide network of cannabis business people is i think crucial to forcing the Federal government to change cannabis' legal status, so this is good news.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/kentucky-house-approves-medical-marijuana-legalization-bill/

quote:

The Kentucky House of Representatives approved a bill to legalize medical marijuana in the state on Thursday.

Following a successful vote in the Judiciary Committee last week, the full chamber passed the legislation in a 65-30 vote. It now heads to the Senate.

If enacted into law, patients suffering from qualifying medical conditions and who have a doctors’ recommendations will be able to obtain cannabis from licensed dispensaries. The bill would establish a regulatory body to develop rules for the program and determine which medical conditions qualify individuals for marijuana.

Smoking cannabis would be prohibited under the measure, and it would be up to regulators to decide whether to allow cannabis edibles. At least 25 dispensaries would have to be permitted under the proposal.

medical bills continuing to advance around the country in the least likely places. Glad the momentum is keeping up. It also seems plausible it could get through the Kentucky Senate, but idk

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

‎Kevin Sabet needs to get his grubby mitts off of New Zealand

https://www.thegrowthop.com/cannabis-news/some-kiwis-view-sams-push-to-reject-legal-weed-as-unappetizing-as-green-eggs-and-ham

quote:

A U.S.-based anti-cannabis legalization group is urging New Zealanders to vote against weed legalization during the upcoming referendum and that interference is rubbing some Kiwis the wrong way.

“I would strongly recommend New Zealanders vote no on this very misguided initiative,” Luke Niforatos of Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM), a branch of which has now set up shop in New Zealand, told 1 NEWS of the upcoming referendum on legalizing recreational cannabis.

According to 1 NEWS, National Party MP Shane Reti said “I’m just not enthusiastic for foreign interests to be interfering in domestic policy.”

SAM bad, what else is new. Also polling suggests New Zealand's September referendum is more likely to pass than not. Odds are good that by the end of the year cannabis will be legal for recreational use in both Mexico and New Zealand. In the USA legalization referenda are very likely to pass in both Arizona and New Jersey. While corona-virus has disrupted signature collection for ballots in many states, I feel like the crisis has shifted opinion even more towards legalization. If nothing else, it might help fill holes in state budgets caused by the economic collapse.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

noice. I'm gonna be pretty pissed if the rest of the Republicans suddenly all decide marijuana legalization is great just before Biden gets into the Whitehouse and vetoes any national level legalization

In other news New Zealand's referendum is going through in September. Polling had been all over the place but over the last few months it looks like opinion may have shifted towards legalization? Hard to tell really. I'm not sure if coronavirus is playing a part but definitely I'm getting my hopes up

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

oh whoa this was a pleasant surprise for me -- Montana activists got legaliation on the ballot! I thought covid-19 had effectively sunk that initiative. Based on the last polling i recall this election was probably a stretch, but not entirely out of reach! I believe getting states like Montana onboard is going to be crucial to passing Federal level reform. We need to build diverse coalitions to succeed, especially if we have a hostile Whitehouse.

https://marketrealist.com/2020/07/marijuana-legalization-proceeds-montana-covid-19/

quote:

After facing a string of coronavirus-led challenges, the New Approach Montana campaign is all geared up. The group is behind the legalization efforts in the state. The group resumed its campaign in May and successfully collected the required signatures. A Marijuana Moment article discussed that the group submitted more than 130,000 signatures last month to qualify for the November ballot. Montana’s legalization efforts include recreational and medical cannabis. The group submitted two proposals:

The first proposal is to establish a regulated cannabis market for recreational use. The group needed 25,000 valid signatures from registered voters to qualify. They submitted 52,000 raw signatures for the proposal.
The second proposal is a constitutional amendment insisting that only individuals 21 and older can participate in the marijuana market. The group needed to collect 51,000 valid signatures from registered voters. They submitted 80,000 raw signatures.
Looking at the number of signatures submitted, it appears that the group collected the required signatures. Voters will decide the fate of marijuana legalization in the state.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If the final result is close, is there any chance of the parliament taking action to liberalize cannabis laws? Even if only to preemptive future attempts to get full legalization via another ballot

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

To make up for the loss in New Zealnd, USA had a number of big wins for cannabis legalization tonight.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/marijuana-legalization-measures-pass-states/story?id=74008722

quote:

Four states across the country are the latest in the U.S. to legalize marijuana for both recreational and medical use.

A majority of New Jersey and Arizona voters voted yes on ballot measures that made recreational marijuana legal. In South Dakota, voters passed one of two marijuana legalization ballot measures, which legalized medical use.

The New Jersey state legislature will have to draft and pass legislation regarding the exact details on how the state will implement the new policy. The Arizona Department of Health Services will be responsible for adopting that state's rules.

Mississippi voters approved an initiative to establish a medical marijuana program for patients with debilitating conditions.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/mississippi-voters-approve-robust-medical-marijuana-initiative-over-lawmakers-restrictive-alternate/

quote:

Voters have approved an activist-led initiative to legalize medical marijuana in Mississippi, according to a projection by local outlet Y’all Politics.

The measure faced a series of unique challenges ahead of the election, principally the addition of a more restrictive alternative measure that the legislature placed on the ballot and the resulting two-step question voters faced.
. . .
Activists are breathing a sigh of relief with this election outcome, as there were deep concerns that the inclusion of the less detailed alternative on the ballot would confuse voters and cause both to fail. They suspected that was the intent of the legislature, which has been resistant to cannabis reform and only pursued the alternative after the campaign’s version qualified.

“Initiative 65 puts the needs and interests of patients first. This was a grassroots effort to provide patients with access to a treatment option that patients already enjoy in 34 other states and in the District of Columbia,” NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said. “By contrast, Measure 65A was a cynical effort by lawmakers to misdirect voters. The same state lawmakers that for decades had refused to ever seriously address the issue were the ones behind 65A, and voters wisely rejected their campaign.”

The legislature’s proposal included a ban on smoking medical cannabis for patients who are not terminally ill and said that medical marijuana products must be of “suitable pharmaceutical quality,” though that was undefined.

Still waiting on results from Montana, fingers crossed. Given we got good results even in Mississippi, fingers crossed there, I feel good about the odds there

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Next likely phase of cannabis legalization. Hopefully we can actually have a few successes in state legislatures next year, instead of another string of embarrassing failures

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

I think it will. The weird uneasy truce where it's federally illegal but not enforced in legal states is more and more ridiculous every year, and for a Dem administration, legalization is an easy win.

my hope is that the wins this year in states like Montana, the Senators of those states will quickly flip to supporting federal level legalization, and that will provide enough pressure within the Republican caucus that McConnell will be forced to finally let a bill reach the floor. Any action will remain a long shot though so long as he remains in charge.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Next nation to legalize cannabis: Israel?

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/cannabis-industry-prepares-for-israeli-legalization-652412

quote:

Israel’s budding cannabis industry has set its sights on expanding its manufacturing, production and export capabilities, as the country prepares to legalize recreational marijuana in the coming months.

Hagit Weinstock is an attorney specializing in cannabis regulation who co-founded the Tel Aviv-based Weinstock-Zehavi & Co. law firm. She sits on a number of government committees that are working to move legalization efforts forward quickly.

“I can see by the committees that I’m part of that everyone is pushing that [legalization] will be done,” Weinstock told The Media Line. “We already have a draft [law].”

According to the draft law, Israelis over the age of 21 will be allowed to use cannabis and to purchase it at designated stores. Smoking in public places, however, will be forbidden.

Weinstock’s firm is already working with dozens of Israeli and international companies and investors in the growing marijuana sector. Despite the instability of the current Israeli government – and talks of yet another round of elections – she believes that legalization will proceed as planned in the coming months.

“Both sides agree on this issue,” Weinstock affirmed. “They’ve all signed a declaration that this will be an issue that they are going to support so we don’t have dangers with this government or others.”

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Merry Christmas all

Rhode Island moves to legalize marijuana in 2021

Maryland lawmaker files marijuana legalization bill ahead of 2021 session

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

God willing, they won’t