Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Google Butt posted:

i don't have strong feelings for or against Obama, but he can go gently caress himself for not taking the five minutes to deschedule during his 8 god drat years

Seriously, it would have put Trump in a hell of a spot. If he re-schedules it he looks like a huge rear end in a top hat and pisses off pro-pot Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fishmech posted:

Uh, he hasn't been shy about looking like a huge rear end in a top hat and pissing off tons of Republicans. Have you been asleep since January 20th?

Oh sure, but add another one to the pile. Each thing he does pisses off a different type of Republican till the camel's back breaks.

I can't see any downside to Obama having hypothetically done it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I too, declare an emergency when I run out of weed.

*takes victory bong rip for making most obvious joke*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's amazing that they don't realize weed is popular, even among Republicans. A lot of their older constituents want it for actual medical reasons, and a much larger part just want it because it's awesome. The part of the party that would actually revolt and not vote for them anymore if they went "Hey, we're dropping the fight on weed to focus on opiates" must be vanishingly small.

It makes zero sense, it's just letting Sessions pursue his own private bugaboo issue to the detriment of their own electoral chances.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Black people like it and it will cause white women to listen to jazz music and fall victim to miscegenation.

That's why pot was prohibited in the first place. It was used to demonize people by Nixon and further by Reagan because it's an easy way to persecute minorities with impunity. It's used in southern georgia to basically supply slave labor via maximum sentences for pot.

No, I totally get all that but we're in 2017 and marijuana acceptance has literally never been higher (pun intended).

Like you would think a Paul Ryan type would be all over it and going "Wow, a great free market solution to raise revenue for states!" and pushing Sessions to focus on opiates, which are actually killing the party.

I guess I'm naive as hell for thinking Republicans would evolve their views on anything but this seems like such an easy obvious win-win for them. Were I a GOP consultant, this is the poo poo I would be pushing to try to attract the next generation of voters.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

StabbinHobo posted:

paul ryan has 0% influence on jeff sessions

Does the bully pulpit no longer exist? I understand no one except Trump can fire or directly influence him, but words can be said.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cicero posted:

That Gallup poll had even Republicans at a slight majority of support, pretty soon opposing legal marijuana will become untenable for politicians in most areas.

Yea, it's basically going to become this comic, but with "legal weed" instead of "gay marriage"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

most agreeable sensations soon follow, and excitement displays itself in hearty bursts of laughter, loud exclamations, droll exhilarating conversation

Wanna hear that 1850s stoner chat. :allears:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Related question: are legal weed folks broadly in support of cracking down on the black market? Like if someone owns a legal weed store in Portland, do they not resent folks who are growing product on free National Forest land in the interior, paying no taxes, and passing it off to dealers in Portland that pay no taxes on weed or wages? If somehow Congress succeeds in passing a "leave legal weed alone" bill, and Sessions' DOJ goes after the illegal grows throughout Oregon, would pro-weed people be generally positive about that because it would drive yet more of the market into the legal, taxed economy?

I just watched an entire show about legal growers in CA and the impression I got was yes, yes they're very pissed at the illegal growers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nerve posted:

I would be interested in watching this

It was a special episode of the CNBC show The Profit, focusing on the "Emerald Triangle" aka Humboldt County

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have a FL state card, why the hell can't i grow my own weed?

Might I ask how you managed to get one?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's my understanding that the President could simply deschedule it without any vote needed, simply by telling the head of the FDA "hey take weed off the schedule list" at literally anytime.

Which makes Obama's failure to do so...troubling.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

The proposal “basically acts as a tax on patients” by causing them to spend more money to “buy more marijuana to achieve the same effect as if the caps were not in place,” Pollara said Tuesday.

“The other irony is it would result in patients having to smoke more marijuana to achieve the desired effect,” he said. “If there’s two things the Florida House hates, it’s higher taxes and smokable marijuana, and this has the functional impact of doing both.”

Florida!

:shepicide:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is just the bill that puts a weird artificial 10% cap on THC content in dry herb right? But they're still selling the concentrates that are 90% THC?

God my state is such trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Senate continues to fulfill its intended purpose of making sure nothing is ever passed! :toot: