Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PT6A posted:

Is there anywhere on earth that hasn't had an explosion of opiate use lately? If cannabis legalization can be shown to effectively decrease opiate addiction or death rates, I think you'll see a move toward legalization pretty much everywhere. Unfortunately, this explosion has been happening as cannabis becomes more socially and legally acceptable in North America, so even though those two things are probably unrelated, the data may not look so good.

You don't even really need to go that far, there have been some really cool economics studies (prior to active legalization!) that a percentage of alcoholics will switch directly to marijuana abuse if it's available (and the overall percentage of substance abusers doesn't particularly go up). This is good and important because alcohol abuse is pretty-much-undebateably worse in pretty much every way than marijuana abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tab8715 posted:

He could start enforcing federal marijuana law but putting people in Federal Prison for a crime that perfectly legal in their own State will not play out well in court of Public Opinion. It's exactly why Obama and even Bush looked the other way.

Other than, you know, Gonzales v Raich.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Maybe it will feel like when the space race happened under Kennedy and Johnson but Nixon got the moon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Canvassing in DC, I hit up an elderly couple coming home from church to ask for their signature. The woman squints at my brochure, then calls out "Henry, these folks are trying to legalize reefer!"

Well, did either of them sign?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Google Butt posted:

It is still progress though. Can congress submit and pass the same bill over and over again?

Nah, the GOP could only try and repeal Obamacare once.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Thanks for the local insight! I move around too much so I tend to lack the bigger political picture wherever I'm operating. Did you attend the hearing too, or saw it streamed? Would you also concur that a lot of the testimony was less than compelling, but was useful mainly for showing that a body of people are willing to turn out in support?

Speaking of which, other than personal testimony, we had a bunch of folks come to testify in favor from Republican organizations, particularly Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition and The Young Republicans, so that was useful for bipartisanship. Those speakers were mostly pretty dry, just recited statistics and explained how that fit into Republican ideology. To nitpick from the outside, I wish people would pay more attention to the prior speakers and modify their speech accordingly since we had more than half the speakers rattle off the same statistical bullet points. A certain amount of repetition is good I suppose, but after four or five people saying "60,000 marijuana arrests per year" it seems we could save a few minutes by just saying "the other speakers have pointed out the sheer number of arrests, and based on that..."

Now it's just a matter of when it gets on calendar to go to the House floor, and then where the accompanying Senate bill is, and then what happens to both the HB and SB for expanding medical cannabis.

I found it interesting too that the campaign is no longer doing mass calls for action because a chunk of reps are really solidly on our side now and have apparently communicated "yes, after the literally thousandth email about this, I'm totally on-board, so you don't need to tie up my inbox and phoneline." So presumably they're focusing more now on getting people in key districts to contact their reps who are on the fence. Lots of interesting strategy in this that's way above my level.

Guess I need to check whether my shitbag rep is on the side of the forces of good on this one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

Given that the states that have gone full legal seem to be quite happy with it, is there any avenue for those states to fight back against this?

gonzales v raich exists

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Upon signing into law, the farm bill will legalize hemp in the US at the federal level. CBD, THC still illegal.

You can, however, get CBD from hemp.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i refuse to believe that ron desantis would do anything for a non-evil reason

he must be taking bribes or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i'd still lean towards edibles as a means of imbibing marijuana because they DEFINITELY don't have a lung cancer risk