Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

It might be low-hanging fruit in that he would have a good legal case but it's not low-hanging fruit in that it's very politically unpopular, there is no demographic group out there that supports federal raids on the legal marijuana market. Even the evangelicals don't really care about weed much anymore and strong opposition mostly comes from law enforcement and weirdos like Kevin Sabet. That said, all evidence points to the fact that Sessions himself is a drug warrior and might be interested in doing it just because he personally thinks it's a good idea. I very much doubt that Trump would encourage him to do something that's very unpopular around an issue he probably doesn't really care much about, I think it all comes down to how much Sessions personally desires to pick this fight.

Trump has already indicated that he plans to be incredibly hands-off, so be prepared for his Czars to do whatever they feel like. The best hope for legal weed is that hands-off Trump allows for inter-departmental squabbles in his absence that hinders Sessions.

I don't have high hopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

:q:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Given that we don't have rational actors in the drivers seat right now, and we already are committing to a sisyphean waste of money in regards to border policing, I wouldn't put too much faith in "lack of resources" dictating policy.

I suppose border policing is a more popular policy then weed crackdown, but then I go back to the irrational reactionaries we have who are deaf to criticism.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Yes, but.

Even envisioning the Trump administration at its most irrational, there are still practical limitations on time, people, and money that they can't overcome.

Assuming they get stymied on raid cooperation and get cold feet about the manpower needed, I assume they would then move instead to indirect action like cutting federal funds until they get cooperation.

Would the tax income from weed sales cover the shortfall left from the absence of grants? Has anyone in the lobby groups tried to figure this out?