Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
http://bangordailynews.com/2016/12/17/politics/recount-bid-ends-clearing-way-for-legal-marijuana-in-maine/

Bangor Daily News posted:

AUGUSTA, Maine — The campaign that opposed a referendum seeking to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine abandoned its recount effort Saturday afternoon, clearing the way for Maine to become the latest state to allow use of the drug for nonmedical purposes.

The citizen-initiated legalization effort appeared as Question 1 on the Nov. 8 ballot. Unofficial results showed the question winning by less than 1 percentage point, the closest contest on a ballot that included four other citizen-initiated referendums and a bond question.

That narrow margin prompted opponents of legalization — organized as Mainers Protecting Our Youth and Communities — to ask the secretary of state to conduct a statewide recount.

After a weekslong process that required ballots from all over the state to be collected and delivered to Augusta, the recount began earlier this month.

Story continues below advertisement.
Ballot examination initially focused on precincts in the state’s larger cities, with a second phase of the recount zeroing in on other selected precincts. The recount recessed Friday with plans to resume in January 2017.

However, Mainers Protecting Our Youth and Communities formally requested Saturday that the secretary of state’s office end the process.

“We promised folks that if we came to a point where we could not see any chance of reversing the result, we would not drag the process out,” Newell Augur, legal counsel for No on 1, said in a release. “We are satisfied that the count and the result are accurate.”

Now as far as I am aware, once a citizen referendum has been verified as passed, the governor has 60 days to sign it into action otherwise I believe it goes into effect automatically. The article didn't really say much about that and LePage is all about being a douchebag, but iirc, all the laws goes into effect after 60 days automatically so I don't see why this one would be any different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Telephones posted:

How successful will they be? It seems like legal weed is done for, or at the very least shops will start closing up.

It might not be popular thing for sessions to do, but this seems to be an ideological war.

they dont have the money or the man power to shut it down, but they can def make peoples lives hell

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Heard on the radio this morning Connecticut has a legalization bill that has passed the judiciary committee and it's on it's way to the finance committee to figure out a tax schedule. If it goes through that then it will go up for vote in the legislature. Apparently it's mostly a party line split with some Dems against it so I'm not holding my breath