Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Dmitri-9 posted:

They are trying to strangle the small producers before a pharmaceutical company can roll out a product. They have seriously misjudged the national attitude, people might feel funny about getting high but they will take notice of sick children suffering.

Hey guys let me introduce you to GW Pharmaceuticals' new drug, Epidiolex

quote:

Epidiolex is GW's lead cannabinoid product candidate and is a proprietary oral solution of pure plant-derived cannabidiol, or CBD.

the FDA trials have had really positive outcomes so far

this will of course be considered different than other common CBD extraction methods because of reasons.

Honestly I don't know how I feel about this as we've yet to learn how this will be affected, if at all, from the DEA ruling. This does differ from Marinol which is synthetic THC. This CBD is coming from the plant itself - I'd assume from hemp, which is still federally illegal to grow for commercial purposes. Growing for research purposes is something different - here's the latest statement regarding that: Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp

Speaking of that, I should mention the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2015 (Senate bill / House bill) which will exclude industrial hemp from the definition of "marihuana" if passed. It still has a long way to go.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Leafly Investigation: California Has a Dirty Cannabis Problem

This is a good article to read but I'll give you some highlights

quote:

Once a hush-hush gathering open only to growers, the Emerald Cup is bigger and more commercial these days. But the marijuana movement’s hippie roots and “organic ethos” are still tangible at the cup. All of the cannabis is supposed to be grown under the sun, not grow lights. One of the Emerald Cup’s judges is an original Haight-Ashbury hippie who dresses in white robes and goes by “Swami.” (This is not an affect; he truly is an initiated swami.) Conversations about veganic and permaculture growing methods abound.

So when the testing lab hired to screen the 2015 cup entries turned up contamination in almost 17 percent of entries—including banned pesticides, bacteria, and mold—Blake was horrified. Pesticides at the Emerald Cup simply aren’t supposed to exist.

Never again, Blake vowed. For the 2016 Cup, organizers instituted stricter-than-ever controls on contaminants. Entrants who submitted dirty samples wouldn’t only be disqualified; they’d be publicly shamed, with their names published as peddlers of dangerous product. “We’re going to be very strict,” Blake told The East Bay Express last spring. “People are not going to get away with anything.”

The December 2016 Emerald Cup drew more than 1,000 entries, including 735 strains of flower and 263 different concentrates. It also attracted more dirty marijuana than ever. Forty flower entries tested positive for pesticides. An unprecedented 25 percent of concentrate entries were disqualified for containing traces of banned chemicals. Blake was “dumbfounded we’d see this at that level,” he told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

quote:

In a study published in October, Berkeley-based Steep Hill Labs claimed it found residual pesticides in 84 percent of cannabis tested over a 30-day period beginning in mid-September, the peak time in the state’s marijuana harvest.

quote:

The potential consequences of contaminated cannabis recently hit home with the release of an article in the journal Clinical Microbiology and Infection.

One of the article’s authors, Dr. Joseph Tuscano, an oncologist and researcher at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, Calif., had been treating a young man in his 20s with leukemia. After a stem-cell transplant, the prognosis was very good. The leukemia was gone, and the man seemed likely to recover. Then, very suddenly, he developed a severe lung infection.

One consequence of cancer treatment is that patients’ immune systems become so compromised that even flowers and houseplants can pose a mortal risk. It’s common for bacteria and fungi that healthy people would never notice to cause sudden, severe, and sometimes fatal pneumonia in cancer patients. That’s what happened to Tuscano’s patient, who survived leukemia only to die of what turned out to be a rare fungal infection.

Then it happened again. Another young leukemia patient, another good prognosis, another sudden and severe lung infection caused by the same rare strain of fungus. This patient, however, recovered. When Tuscano asked him about his lifestyle, trying to identify a cause or any links between the two cases, he discovered the two men both used marijuana. The dead patient had vaporized a cannabis “mist” medicinally as part of his treatment; the survivor smoked recreationally prior to his leukemia diagnosis—which was when he developed the infection “instantly,” Tuscano told me.

One of Tuscano’s colleagues at UC Davis, Dr. George Thompson, had a connection to Steep Hill Labs. The lab selected, at random, 20 marijuana samples they’d received from about 10 different Northern California dispensaries. Each was tested for rare and common fungi and bacteria. The result? Every single one of the 20 samples was contaminated with a variety of both. They contained E. coli, Aspergillus, various strains associated with pneumonia, pathogens known to cause common infections—as well as the rare fungus that killed Tuscano’s patient.

“All these organisms were in there, and so many other ones as well,” said Tuscano. “Before this, I never really suspected there was a link.”

This is specifically for California as Colorado, Oregon and Washington apparently have rules set for testing before legally selling. Stuff like this really makes me worry about the states that legalized it for medical use only - including my own state - as I'd assume they also have looser rules on cannabis testing.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

because it would reek of hypocrisy. whether or not it's still federally illegal doesn't mean poo poo anymore when it comes to this

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I don't remember the video I saw this from but it was about this very religious christian woman who was very anti weed but being in a medical US state she ended up trying it and did a complete 180 and even started a small family dispensary. According to her it gave her this higher depersonalized perspective of what it means to be alive on earth and felt that she was having a spiritual connection with jesus. she let go of a lot of her bigoted beliefs and became a far more empathetic person

I dunno, I wish weed had this effect on most christians long-term, and people in general. I can totally understand why this could be used for religious reasons.

I'll see if I can find the link regarding what I'm talking about

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

yeah i actually think weed-related 4/20 might actually become a government holiday somewhere in my lifetime

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

The Michigan Legislature has until the end of the day tomorrow to accept the Michigan Marijuana proposal, or it goes on the November ballot. If they reject the proposal, it also goes on the November ballot.
https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_(2018)

Voters will decide marijuana legalization after Legislature fails to act

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Hot take from gibbis:

i remember watching some short video about an evangelical christian woman in one of the legal states (don't remember which) who, like most evangelicals, normally decided that weed was for heathens but gave it a try. while stoned she felt weed gave her a new way to communicate with her god and opened a small dispensary. jesus salad is right.

Here's a related article: The creed includes weed for these Colorado Christians same idea.

it reminds me of the hallucinogens that are used by some religious people for this reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Louisiana Senate Candidate Rips Enormous Blunt in First Campaign Ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_FD25oREY

quote:

Gary Chambers is running to unseat Republican John Kennedy on a platform centered around cannabis legalization, economic aid, voting rights, and Medicare for All