Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
By the time federal prohibition is lifted half of the population will live in legal states, and it will only be done to make the justice system less of a mess.

Some older members of congress with considerable power (Dianne Feinstein among them) are very ardent about the drug war and won't lift a finger to help with legalizing cannabis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
One thing I'm relishing is the fact that when the states that legalized for recreation in 2016 all have operating markets in 2018, it's going to mean even far *more* interstate diversion of cannabis, with every lovable doofus now deciding that he too can be a marijuana dealer by buying in state A and selling in state B. This is just going to hasten even more legalization/decriminalization.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

That's my thinking. There's literally no political upside to going after weed in legal states.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
The nervous attitude the marijuana community currently has is testament to the need for more activism. This helplessness should remind us that there's no right and wrong but only power, and the nexus of the collective interests of law enforcement, career politicians, private prisons and the pharmaceutical industry are more impacting on society than the opinion of weed enthusiasts and those who happen to think marijuana legalization is fine. Sessions is the equivalent of a bigot when it comes to marijuana -- he is proud of his distaste for the substance itself. Just as gay marriage could not have passed without a substantial portion of the population respecting homosexuality itself, so too are we not likely to see marijuana legalization come about quicker without a substantial portion of the population coming to regard marijuana consumption more favorably and tolerably. We need to get to the place where Jeff Sessions feels the need to hold back his opinion on marijuana consumption just like he holds back his opinion on homosexuality.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
This authoritarian social conservative smells blood.

"How Trump's DOJ can start enforcing federal marijuana law."

http://dailysignal.com/2017/02/27/how-trumps-doj-can-start-enforcing-federal-marijuana-law/

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
I hope this goes somewhere! Introduced by a Republican from Virginia!

https://tomgarrett.house.gov/media/press-releases/garrett-introduces-legislation-remove-marijuana-controlled-substances-list

quote:

GARRETT INTRODUCES LEGISLATION TO REMOVE MARIJUANA FROM CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES LIST

February 27, 2017 Press Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today 5th District Congressman Tom Garrett introduced legislation aimed at federally decriminalizing marijuana.

The short title for this legislation is cited as the "Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017." If passed, this bill would take marijuana off the federal controlled substances list - joining other industries such as alcohol and tobacco.

Originally introduced by Senator Bernie Sanders in 2015, this bill fulfills a responsibility to create a level playing field across the country.

Upon introduction of this legislation, Rep. Garrett released the following statement:

"I have long believed justice that isn't blind, isn't justice. Statistics indicate that minor narcotics crimes disproportionately hurt areas of lower socio-economic status and what I find most troubling is that we continue to keep laws on the books that we do not enforce. Virginia is more than capable of handling its own marijuana policy, as are states such as Colorado or California."

Garrett went on to say, "this step allows states to determine appropriate medicinal use and allows for industrial hemp growth, something that will provide a major economic boost to agricultural development in Southside Virginia. In the coming weeks, I anticipate introducing legislation aimed at growing the hemp industry in Virginia, something that is long overdue."

In recent weeks, the Trump administration and Attorney General Jeff Sessions promised to crack down on federal marijuana crimes. During his confirmation, then-Senator Sessions pointed out that if legislators did not like this approach, they should change the laws accordingly. Garrett anticipates bipartisan support as his legislation makes its way to the appropriate committees of jurisdiction.

Hawaii Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard is serving as the lead original cosponsor on this bipartisan legislation.

###

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
If federal prohibition comes down, then more states will legalize, and any state legalizing cannabis undermines prohibition in neighboring states. When California/Maine/Massachusetts/Nevada all have legal markets in 2018 it will significantly undermine national prohibition in a direct and indirect way: First, the weed from those states IS going to flow to prohibitive states -- something which will drive down prices in the illegal markets. Second, just by having legal marijuana available in a state as that state continues to be otherwise normal without spikes in the bad things that drug warriors scare monger about severely undermines prohibition and makes prohibitive states question their policies. We're in a weird limbo state right now as we wait for those states that legalized to work out their regulatory structures but once they're all up and running I believe marijuana advocates will be in a better position rhetorically and the Jeff Sessions of America will look even more silly.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Those who say "people don't go to jail for simple possession" are totally blind to all the people who do go to jail for selling, or who do in fact go to jail for mere possession when prosecutors tack on a "intent to distribute" charge because of the quantity of weed in question.

Regarding sending weed sellers to jail -- this should be held as much of an injustice as sending regular users to sale, because its prohibition that creates an underground market in which someone can make a (small) living. Legalize = no illegal market = no incentive to be an illegal weed dealer = fewer people in jail.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Pollyanna posted:

If Mass gets legal markets by 2018 I will eat my hat. The government here seems dead opposed to legalizing it, down to trying to delay legalization for a year and a half.

It was written into the ballot measure itself that stores could only open in 2018. The legislature extended that by six months. I followed the Mass legalization pretty closely and their government has been quite hostile to the measure (from a puritan angle). I think they will get stores running in 2018 but I'm afraid that the legislature might ban concentrates and edibles and severely restrict home grows.

This was the most hilarious part of the Massachusetts legalization process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oycBIQ_aT78

Pot dystopia!

Aging Millenial fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 4, 2017

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This is bizarre: I went to check to see if VT is getting any closer to legalizing finally, and apparently they're seriously considering a DC-style "legal but no sales" legislation where they'd allow home-growing but no stores. DC got stuck with that by Congress, but VT wants to actually make it a plan. Weird strategy, but apparently it placates some conservatives who don't want to see a "pot industry" or worry the Feds will crack down, so just going laissez-faire is easier.

http://www.weednews.co/vermont-house-leaders-say-they-will-move-forward-with-marijuana-legalization-bill/

It's a substantial step towards outright legalization though, which could follow only a few years after this stage. DC is basically like Colorado now re weed with the exception that everyone has to be a bit weird about where they get their weed. DC as a culture WANTS pot stores and will get them as shortly as a Democratic majority controls the House.

So sometime in the next 16 years.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Tab8715 posted:

Any idea on how the US will respond? In the past they've pushed against Mexico and other South American Countries from legalizing.

The United States no longer has any ground to tell any nation how conduct its business re cannabis.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Virginia has taken the first possible tentative step towards decriminalization. Last year, a major Republican state senator signaled that he was open to considering decriminalization. A state body (Virginia Crime Commission) will now study decriminalization and make a recommendation to the legislature next year.

Both Democratic nominees in this year's Governor race (VA holds Gov elections in off years) support decriminalization. So it's likely that Va.will have decriminalized marijuana by this time next year if this state body and legislature are swayed by the national trend and the more local trend (it's semi-legal in DC and decriminalized in Maryland.)

In the mid-atlantic region full legalization will probably happen in this order: Washington, DC (if Democrats ever take back the House, DC will get legal weed stores guaranteed) --- > New Jersey -----> Delaware ---->Maryland. Virginia will be dead last because rural Virginia has significant sway in the state legislature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Lmao, I had forgotten that state's existence.