Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Just an FYI:

Republican state legislators have filed bills in 2017 for medical in Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, Missouri, South Carolina, Indiana, and Wisconsin. There are more state legislatures that are considering full legalization. I am pretty confident that cannabis will be rescheduled during the Trump administration.

http://www.ibtimes.com/which-states-will-legalize-marijuana-next-list-east-coast-states-more-considering-2478799

https://www.mpp.org/states/key-marijuana-policy-reform/

Maybe it will feel like when the space race happened under Kennedy and Johnson but Nixon got the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

KingEup posted:

"Oh yeah? Well skateboards were once illegal and now they're not. It turns out you can make illegal things legal afterall!" http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36077122

This is actually I think a major roadblock to reform in my opinion. Lots of people seem to think that there are actually substances that are inherently illegal. They don't seem to realise that substances are illegal only because someone called them illegal at some point.

It's a joke, but i grew up hearing nothing but the standard DARE line on weed, except for a scoff here and there from my parents who knew better but still didn't want their kid smoking ganja. Reading on my own and learning about Harry J. Anslinger, the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, all the propaganda surrounding it, it was a revelation for me. It was like I'd found a secret piece of history no one knew about, and like you point out, i sort of had. I feel like if you can just explain the early history of cannabis prohibition it will fall away for skeptics, but i think i always end up sounding insane.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Has anyone seen any rebuttals to the "marijuana DUI deaths are way up in Colorado and Washington"? I'm man enough to admit that's a negative if it's literally true, but the vague way it's phrased really makes me wonder: are actual *total* traffic deaths up, or are they just finding more linkages to weed than they used to since they're actually checking more?

The latter could be attributed to more frequent or effective checking for traces of cannabis in the system of drivers involved in fatal crashes. If 2012 Colorado had X traffic fatalities and 2016 Colorado has X+10% fatalities, that'd certainly be an issue of concern, but since I don't generally see it phrased as a total increase in deaths it makes me suspicious.

This Denver Post article says total deaths are up:

Exclusive: Traffic fatalities linked to marijuana are up sharply in Colorado. Is legalization to blame? posted:

The 2013-16 period saw a 40 percent increase in the number of all drivers involved in fatal crashes in Colorado, from 627 to 880, according to the NHTSA data. Those who tested positive for alcohol in fatal crashes from 2013 to 2015 — figures for 2016 were not available — grew 17 percent, from 129 to 151.

By contrast, the number of drivers who tested positive for marijuana use jumped 145 percent — from 47 in 2013 to 115 in 2016. During that time, the prevalence of testing drivers for marijuana use did not change appreciably, federal fatal-crash data show.

Keep in mind this time period also saw an enormous boom in population, but it doesn't look great, no.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mozi posted:

I think all that flushing business is a bit nuts anyhow. Do these people "flush" their tomatoes and peppers too?

I don't know about tomatoes and peppers, but if you don't flush your weed you're liable to get a harsh smoke, and it might even do weird things like spark while you're hitting your bowl.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

right, that's a lab report on the bud before it's been extracted and standardized. The end product is 20mg of cannabinoids per ml. You can certainly get stronger CBD products (phytodabs shatter is up to 70-80% CBD by weight), I only linked green mountain because it's what I use because it's been they best ratio of price to desired effects (60-80mg/day is where I like to be).

the interim lab reports from your dispensary, if they publish them, would be similar; there are strains which can be as high as 20% CBD right on the bud (the CBDHemp direct link I provided has a strain that's 15), but mostly stuff that high is being sold as high grade cbd bud, not extracted. If your dispensary oil is 21%, you can bet they started with plant matter that was a lot less.

anyway, the idea that there's anything magical about dispensary oil that I can't reproduce in my garage with a bunch of cbd bud and a closed-loop extractor, is just wrong. I'll stop beating this into the ground; the thing that triggered me was "hemp is not cannabis", when it literally is.

Hemp seed oil is not cbd oil, no disagreement there.

This drives me insane also, Godspeed cbd shatter mad scientist (do you really have a closed loop extractor??)

For slightly more content, we tried to grow a high CBD strain (The Wife, 25% CBD) where I work, and there ended up being an issue where it seemed to be against the rules to sell ~0% THC weed. Or they just told us that, but I haven't seen any 0% strains advertised anywhere else.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Spalec posted:

Possibly dumb question from someone who doesn't smoke:

Is 30 grams a lot? How far would that take an average user?

An ounce will last me a month, but i know plenty of people who would blow through it in a week.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Vyacheslav posted:

If I'm not mistaken, recreational sales start in Massachusetts on July 1st as well. I've been trying to find out more, but haven't heard much about what that's going to look like.

It seems like they're trying to go slow.

Recreational marijuana shops in Mass. might not be able to open by July 1 posted:

Hoffman also said he would be OK with having no retail shops open for a few weeks after the July 1 target date if it means avoiding a problematic rollout.

‘‘We are going to do this right,’’ he said. “If that means we have few or no stores on July 1 and it takes a few more weeks, I hope and expect that everybody in the state believes that’s the right thing to do. We certainly believe that’s the right thing to do.”

Hoffman said he expects the commission will begin taking up license applications “soon.” When asked if July 1 could still be the first day of legal marijuana sales in Massachusetts, he said, “It could be.”

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Upon signing into law, the farm bill will legalize hemp in the US at the federal level. CBD, THC still illegal.

This says the new farm bill de-schedules CBD

https://qz.com/1496896/cbd-from-industrial-hemp-will-be-legal-in-us-under-2018-farm-bill/ posted:

Now, the 2018 Farm Bill is poised to open up hemp for farmers—making it eligible for crop insurance and allowing transfer across state lines—and CBD for consumers. It will explicitly remove industrial hemp and its extracts from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, where it might be interpreted as marijuana, which the US Drug Enforcement Administration states has “no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse” (despite evidence to the contrary).

Im worried he might have figured out "legalize weed -> immortalize self"

..or, ok, or maybe not

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/nyregion/new-jersey-marijuana.html

Sounds like a few black Democrats blocked it because it would be "bad for their communities"?

I'm really curious how they came to that conclusion given the significantly higher incarceration rate among blacks for marijuana offenses, and the fact that the bill would have let people expunge the drug convictions from their records and let people out of prison.

"The public has not properly been educated on the topic of recreational marijuana,’’ said Senator Ronald L. Rice, a Democrat who represents Newark and emerged as one of the main opponents of legalization. “People don’t realize, particularly people in urban communities, how it will affect their lives. In urban communities, neighborhoods will struggle against the spread of ‘marijuana bodegas’ disguised as dispensaries.”

I don't even know what to say. What is a marijuana bodega? Like a lounge? You'd be in deep poo poo if you smoked weed in a dispensary in CO (well, kicked out or asked to stop anyway); tourists not having a lot of places to go to use the weed they just bought is actually a problem. There's work being done to create places where you can smoke weed, but it's going extremely slowly. I have no idea what he could be talking about. Coffee shops in Amsterdam being skeezy sometimes?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'd still lean towards edibles as a means of imbibing marijuana because they DEFINITELY don't have a lung cancer risk

This is definitely true, plus they're technically a more effective uptake method, you can get way more of the THC out of the weed you put into it. I think the most effective is sublingual tincture?

vv. don't get me wrong, I posted that between bong hits vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 20, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida smokeable cannabis prices have finally dipped below black market prices with noticeable higher quality. None of the street stuff ever seemed to really be about 15% when comparing it to stuff from the dispensary. I never get lower than 18% from the shops now. I do get a bit of a discount everywhere (10-25%) for being a veteran, but I can get 1/8ths for $21 of some 20% green. We're still pricier than recreational states, for sure, but green here is now arguably the cheapest and highest quality available in the south.

No, that's not bad at all, I don't get good rec eighths for that without a coupon. I'm curious though, were actually able to test your black market weed?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It will never stop blowing my mind that John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan of Morgan and Morgan and Morgan is now weed blood brother no 1 of Florida

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1163822652559114240?s=19

Still needs a dictionary

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

T-man posted:

Today I learned intravenous THC exists neat

Also I hope I don't have the THC psychosis gene, I'm already pretty drat hosed by meme inheritance already

The scientific community has described cannabis intoxication as psychosis or psychosis-like or psychotomimetic for like seventy years

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alright, how excited are we about this federal legalization bill moving out of committee. I'm skeptical because I'm a cynic, but it did move out of committee.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

100 times stronger...than what

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

All this talk of COVID-19 had me wondering: Has anyone tried experimenting to see if that could be added to the list of possible medical uses for marijuana?

A few seconds with Google, and it turns out the answer is yes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilyprice/2020/06/27/researchers-are-looking-at-cannabis-as-a-potential-way-to-prevent-covid-19/#3ae4aa66d885

Except it sounds like they're mostly looking into using it to prevent the virus from taking root, as opposed to treating the disease.

It's exciting but I want to keep seeing updates on it, and see it confirmed by others. The "while still just a theory" line you always see in these articles comes a little early, but I hope it turns out to be helpful.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

Found a journalist with a list of drug ballots this US voting day

https://twitter.com/AlexThomas/status/1323687603460362245?s=20

Bit surprised to see decrim of other scarier substances is at least being seriously considered in a couple of states and DC so soon.

I'm excited by how much of this there was this time around, and how successful it was. I bet more and more of this will be happening as time goes on and more and more older voters...stop voting, because, they're, uh, tired of it.

So in a few months am I going to be able to just pop into a mushroom store in Oregon like a cannabis dispensary in Colorado?

e ok I'm confused again didn't someone big L legalize mushrooms

Cicero posted:

Relatedly, Oregon also legalized therapeutic psilocybin, and decriminalized all drugs.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-becomes-first-state-to-legalize-psychedelic-mushrooms.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-decriminalizes-possession-of-street-drugs-becoming-first-in-nation.html

edit: I guess I should say, they decriminalized "personal possession amounts". Though apparently larger amounts are now misdemeanors instead of felonies.

Ok I knew I hadn't made it up. So medical only? It was pointed out to me that decriminalizing small amounts is common sense because mushrooms just grow in people's yards there

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 6, 2020

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah I could grow my own chickens or whatever too but I prefer to delegate the tenderization process

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Still standing by it, especially after elections.

Three decades is way too much.

It's been illegal via state or federal law since 1899 or so

E 1899 was california I think?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Weed got legalized in Colorado in 2012; look how many states have crossed the gap since then. 2030 at the latest.

I mean I'm certainly not against it, but prisons and police unions

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How do they keep it illegal forever at this point, UN Convention or no

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Squalid posted:

God willing, they won’t

The arguments I've seen presented for it being essentially impossible are that the president would have to be uncouth and act unilaterally to change the 1970 DEA act, and that we would have to violate the UN Convention or get a two thirds majority of congress to change/leave it. A gameshow host has now done both those things in whatever flavor you want to name, I don't see them as obstacles.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

:catstare:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Doesn't legalization poll pretty well even among republicans? The only groups that are totally anti as a solid block are evangelicals and police unions.

It's honestly not safe to assume anyone who's pro-legalization is just a hippie, there's tons of libertarians and straight up "gently caress taxes and abortion" conservatives who want it legal

e there is also a deep and wide streak of people who do not want it legal, period, still useful to remember that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Just a world encompassing piece of poo poo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Doctor Nutt posted:

Honestly not going to consider weed legal in this country until all weed charges are expunged and anyone in jail on weed related expenses is released, and also it's not really legal until I can walk in to Costco and buy it by the bale.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. The Costco bit might be eventual and state by state (you can get liquor in grocery stores in some states, in other states it would seem insane if you asked where the rum was), but it's ridiculous that there's people in jail and they amount to political prisoners.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The juxtaposition of prescribed strains, import only, but public use/driving being technically ok is mind boggling to me. In CO it's easy to get a medical card via a short doctors appointment that definitely doesn't end up costing the equivalent of £250, and then you basically have a discount card that gets you lower prices on anything a given dispensary has, whatever strain or product. We grow all the weed here. It's illegal to drive under the influence or use in public, but lord knows how they'd even check.

Overall I'm so glad it's getting better in the UK, I can imagine how it must feel watching the loving United States of all countries get more liberal laws than Amsterdam in places (Amsterdam has places you can go and smoke a joint and get something to eat though, that's got to be the gold standard).

I'm not a detective by trade, but I'd guess the mold issues are coming from importing weed from all over instead of using the king's.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

That sounds like what almost happened in the US, in the state of Ohio. The state government had worked out a deal to give a company partly owned by a former member of a boy band (98 Degrees, which you are not obligated to remember, think N*Sync or Backstreet Boys but even worse) essentially total control of the state market. Didn't happen, but got real close. We're clawing our way towards federal legalization; Chuck Schumer, a big wig in the Democratic party, just came out and announced it will be a priority, but who knows if that's true or what it will look like at the end if it is.

e and the idea of vaping in court, or the police being required to give you weed while you're in jail, had my jaw on the floor lol

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There's always the possibility other countries are more cautious about legalization because the legalization of cannabis in member countries is banned by a UN convention that's probably followed more closely than most of the ones against war crimes

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Harry J Anslinger was pretty happy about that one. In college i felt like a stereotype was that at least one student in a class will do a paper or something on why drugs should be legal, so I did one on why cannabis shouldn't be legalized and finished it with the 1961 single convention on narcotic drugs as a reason why it simply can't be. It was still dumb but it was a fun exercise, and I learned that that convention really would either keep it from getting federally legalized or represent another piece of foundation hammered out of the UN by the United States just ignoring treaties and rules; I just don't think you could get all those countries to agree to remove it from the list.

E Anslinger's papers, found them looking for some info about the convention

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 23, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Snowy posted:

Sounds like recreational retail shops could be opening in NJ in a few weeks :toot:

Come on Newark, don't let me down baby

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok so this is one big country violating the UN convention, we can too right

Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

110923_3 posted:

8 years legal and still no weed anything in the stores

How could they arrest people for it??