Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

radical meme posted:

So what's the level of concern here, if any, that our new law and order President is going to unleash AG Sessions to crack down on all these people violating Federal law?

It's low hanging fruit for Sessions to prove his bonafides.

It might be low-hanging fruit in that he would have a good legal case but it's not low-hanging fruit in that it's very politically unpopular, there is no demographic group out there that supports federal raids on the legal marijuana market. Even the evangelicals don't really care about weed much anymore and strong opposition mostly comes from law enforcement and weirdos like Kevin Sabet. That said, all evidence points to the fact that Sessions himself is a drug warrior and might be interested in doing it just because he personally thinks it's a good idea. I very much doubt that Trump would encourage him to do something that's very unpopular around an issue he probably doesn't really care much about, I think it all comes down to how much Sessions personally desires to pick this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah it seems to me that the DOJ would run out of resources quick trying to fight a many-front war against all of these states that will be hostile to what they're trying to do, I don't know enough about the DOJ to know how true my assumption is though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Famethrowa posted:

Given that we don't have rational actors in the drivers seat right now, and we already are committing to a sisyphean waste of money in regards to border policing, I wouldn't put too much faith in "lack of resources" dictating policy.

I suppose border policing is a more popular policy then weed crackdown, but then I go back to the irrational reactionaries we have who are deaf to criticism.

The equivalent of the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment but for recreational weed picked up quite a few Republican votes last congress and was voted down quite narrowly, I was pretty surprised.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/06/03/house-votes-to-ban-some-pot-law-enforcement-cut-dea-budget

quote:

The one narrowly defeated measure in the string of late Tuesday and Wednesday votes would have prevented federal prosecutors and anti-drug agents from blocking implementation of state recreational marijuana laws.

That measure, introduced by Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif., failed 206-222, with 45 Republicans voting in favor and 24 Democrats, including Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, voting against it.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 10, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Unfortunately there are still too many drug warrior Dems and DWS is one of the worst, she even voted against Rohrabacher-Farr.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This isn't super clear but I don't think Sessions is going to engage in some foolish all-out war on weed like some people thought he would.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2017/02/07/sheriff-jones-meets-with-atorney-general-nominee-jeff-sessions/

quote:

As for marijuana, Jones says his conversation with Sessions didn't lead him to believe much would change.

"Regarding the prioritization of federal resources to combat marijuana, he didn't see the federal government getting involved in marijuana use or low-level state, what are traditionally state and local crimes, but, I don't think he ruled out the possibility of the federal government getting involved in larger-scale operations."

The sheriff says those operations would include trafficking by drug cartels.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

KingEup posted:

A team at Simon Fraser University has worked out that cannabis addled driving increases your risk of having an accident by a whopping 18%.

They are also kind enough to point out that driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.05 (the acceptable limit in many places) increases your risk of having accident by a mere 500%-600%.

http://drugpolicy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/CDPC_Cannabis-and-Driving_Evidence-Review-Full_Jan31-2017_FINAL.pdf

I bet some Kevin Sabet-tier shithead has already used these numbers to argue that weed must stay illegal forever.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

BarbarianElephant posted:

So... only the people with the power to do anything about it care about cracking down on legal cannabis? How reassuring.

They're not the only people with the power, in 2015 the house voted on an amendment that would have prevented Sessions from interfering with legal recreational weed and it failed narrowly even though the Republicans had a large majority in the house. If Sessions decided to go ahead with an unpopular crackdown there would certainly be another push for a similar thing.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Trump is trashing Sessions in public now, maybe he will keep it up and he quits :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

There's a new push in the Senate for an amendment to protect states that have legalized recreational.

https://twitter.com/SenBennetCO/status/963519822209409024

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

What the hell is going on in NJ are they really going to gently caress this up?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Obama always had an incredibly dismissive attitude about the issue, at one point when asked about legalization he literally just laughed as a response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This is Pete Sessions' successor Jim McGovern

quote:

"Unlike my predecessor, I’m not going to block amendments for marijuana,” the Democrat said. “Citizens are passing ballot initiatives, legislatures are passing laws, and we need to respect that. Federal laws and statutes are way behind.”