Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Can we point out how racist most weed legalization efforts and advocates are?
Is this a "more racist than usual" thing or more of a "everyone in the US is racist somehow, including these people" kind of an assertion? Because it seems unlikely to me that weed advocates are more racist on average than those against weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In recent news, Denmark *had* been doing that for a long while in one neighborhood of Copenhagen, a squat-collective called Christiania. Until very recently, they had hashish stalls set up like they were food trucks down one whole segment of the neighborhood, hundreds of customers milling around and buying hash to smoke while playing backgammon on the patios. It wasn't technically legal but the authorities were willing to turn a blind eye so long as the area stayed calm, though they did infiltrate the area trying to ferret out the actual wholesalers and nail them elsewhere. But just this fall the cops stopped one of the bag-runners for the dealers and he shot some cops, so the neighborhood itself voted to tear down all the stalls on "Pusher Street" and ask people to stop coming to their neighborhood to buy weed: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/02/denmark-copenhagen-christiania-residents-demolish-drug-stalls-after-shooting

Christiania is a really interesting little place. There are signs all over the place saying no pictures, and you're not allowed to run (I was unaware of this rule and at one point started to run somewhere, and suddenly everyone was staring at me and a couple people jumped in front of me).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sounds kind of similar to what some people experience (after) using LSD.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, now even a majority of Republicans support it: http://news.gallup.com/poll/221018/record-high-support-legalizing-marijuana.aspx

The disconnect between nearly 2/3rds supporting recreational legalization (and presumably significantly more yet that support medical) and a DEA that keeps it at Schedule 1 is utterly bizarre at this point.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That Gallup poll had even Republicans at a slight majority of support, pretty soon opposing legal marijuana will become untenable for politicians in most areas.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That sounds like a pretty bad and dumb setup.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Think you might be confusing Vermont with Virginia there. Vermont is further north than Massachusetts, which has already legalized.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Utah got medical even in spite of the LDS church coming out against the prop.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Legalizing weed also has strong national level support, but nevertheless there's been hardly any movement on legalizing it federally. IIRC the issue is that while most people think it should be legalized, it's not a dealbreaker issue to many the way taxes or gay marriage can be. People aren't gonna vote out their favored councilperson just because of a bad weed stance if they like their other positions.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Now that North America has a significant legal recreational market that covers like 100 million people or something, I'd be pretty surprised if Europe was more advanced in weed growing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Relatedly, Oregon also legalized therapeutic psilocybin, and decriminalized all drugs.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-becomes-first-state-to-legalize-psychedelic-mushrooms.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-decriminalizes-possession-of-street-drugs-becoming-first-in-nation.html

edit: I guess I should say, they decriminalized "personal possession amounts". Though apparently larger amounts are now misdemeanors instead of felonies.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 5, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Unless there's a federal override like with gay marriage, I wouldn't expect it to be legal in all fifty states for like...at least three decades.

I'm more surprised how little movement there's been in Europe to legalize marijuana, especially now that it's legal all across Canada. The US is ahead of Europe on this issue.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Yeah that's a bit much, I remember hearing the same predictions for Equal Marriage Rights back in 2010.
Equal marriage rights had a viable route through the courts, weed doesn't.

If gay marriage was dependent on legislation, it'd still be illegal in some states.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Still standing by it, especially after elections.

Three decades is way too much.
Nah. I mean sure, 10-15 years from now you'd have most states with legal weed. But I think there'd be a few stubborn holdouts for a while yet after that, unless the feds passed a law to flatly make it legal across the country. Which could definitely happen.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sounds great, but the odds of this actually passing through the Senate are super low, right?

I feel like you could maybe get to 60 if you just went for, "well, we'll make it not illegal at the federal level anymore and just leave it up to the states", that could work with moderate conservatives, but flat out legalizing it nationally seems like it would just get a party line vote at best.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's also possible it causes a reduction in suicides: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232164/

quote:

Results. After adjustment for economic conditions, state policies, and state-specific linear time trends, the association between legalizing medical marijuana and suicides was not statistically significant at the .05 level. However, legalization was associated with a 10.8% (95% confidence interval [CI] = −17.1%, −3.7%) and 9.4% (95% CI = −16.1%, −2.4%) reduction in the suicide rate of men aged 20 through 29 years and 30 through 39 years, respectively. Estimates for females were less precise and sensitive to model specification.

Conclusions. Suicides among men aged 20 through 39 years fell after medical marijuana legalization compared with those in states that did not legalize. The negative relationship between legalization and suicides among young men is consistent with the hypothesis that marijuana can be used to cope with stressful life events. However, this relationship may be explained by alcohol consumption. The mechanism through which legalizing medical marijuana reduces suicides among young men remains a topic for future study.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Germany might get legal recreational weed: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/germany-set-to-legalize-marijuana-nationwide-after-major-parties-reach-agreement/

This would be the first country in Europe to have for-real legal recreational marijuana, I think?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

What sucks about Malta? Visited once and it was mostly pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lawsuits?