Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

EX250 Type R posted:

Now as far as I am aware, once a citizen referendum has been verified as passed, the governor has 60 days to sign it into action otherwise I believe it goes into effect automatically. The article didn't really say much about that and LePage is all about being a douchebag, but iirc, all the laws goes into effect after 60 days automatically so I don't see why this one would be any different

I don't live there or know anything about Maine law, but this appears incorrect:

Maine Constitution, Article IV, Section 19 posted:

Section 19. Effective date of measures approved by people; veto power limited.
Any measure referred to the people and approved by a majority of the votes given thereon shall, unless a later date is specified in said measure, take effect and become a law in 30 days after the Governor has made public proclamation of the result of the vote on said measure, which the Governor shall do within 10 days after the vote thereon has been canvassed and determined; provided, however, that any such measure which entails expenditure in an amount in excess of available and unappropriated state funds shall remain inoperative until 45 days after the next convening of the Legislature in regular session, unless the measure provides for raising new revenues adequate for its operation...

Per the news stories about state officials announcing recount results, I guess that ten days starts to run today.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU