Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I seriously think the backlash would bring Denver to its knees but maybe I'm just projecting and everyone will march around the block and then forget about it.

I asked this in the Trump thread but this is probably a better place for it. How hard would a crackdown be, honestly? If you bust a few retail locations in high profile raids, use civil forfeiture to take the real estate, and hit the kid behind the register with the same charges as the owner, you send a really effective message even if the public gets upset. What property owner is going to be willing to renew a commercial lease after that? Plus, the state's you're punishing are Colorado, Washington, and Oregon which plays nicely with the administration's base. Cali, Nevada, and Mass might be frightened away from moving forward in that scenario. Accomplishes gently caress all but a return to the black market, but it would seem like a really effective knockout punch to legalization.

The other thing I wonder about is whether they could try to go after state officials running the regulatory systems? There are probably legal reasons I shouldn't be concerned about that, right? Protections that project elected officials and administrative staff from being brought up on federal charges for administering state laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Having read through this thread, you're a lot more knowledgeable on this topic than I am, but is there a reason you think it's an either/or? I would think given the general inertia at the federal level that scenario two is far more likely to happen as a result of scenario one than it is of occurring on its own.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This is bizarre: I went to check to see if VT is getting any closer to legalizing finally, and apparently they're seriously considering a DC-style "legal but no sales" legislation where they'd allow home-growing but no stores. DC got stuck with that by Congress, but VT wants to actually make it a plan. Weird strategy, but apparently it placates some conservatives who don't want to see a "pot industry" or worry the Feds will crack down, so just going laissez-faire is easier.

http://www.weednews.co/vermont-house-leaders-say-they-will-move-forward-with-marijuana-legalization-bill/

That is interesting. I could see that being a fairly viable strategy in states where "great source of revenue for the state" is less appealing as an argument than "my property rights." NH, for sure, but maybe even places like Montana or Wyoming.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Aging Millenial posted:

The United States no longer has any ground to tell any nation how conduct its business re cannabis.

Due to state's legalizing in defiance of the federal government? Or for other reasons?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oregon US Attorney has concerns about the state's marijuana market. http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2018/01/us_attorney_a_call_for_transpa.html#incart_river_home

quote:

The move gives U.S. Attorneys wide latitude to develop district-specific strategies and deploy department resources without Washington, D.C. artificially declaring some cases off limits.

quote:

Oregon has a massive marijuana overproduction problem. In 2017 alone, postal agents in Oregon seized 2,644 pounds of marijuana in outbound parcels and over $1.2 million in cash. For comparison, postal agents in Colorado seized just 984 pounds of marijuana during a four-year period beginning in 2013.

Maybe it's just me, but these numbers don't seem that large. Also curious about the context of the cash seizures.

quote:

We also know that even recreational marijuana permitted under state law carries ill-effects on public health and safety, as Colorado's experience shows. Since 2013, marijuana-related traffic deaths have doubled in Colorado. Marijuana-related emergency and hospital admissions have increased 35 percent. And youth marijuana use is up 12 percent, 55 percent higher than the national average. We must do everything in our power to avoid similar trends here in Oregon.

Curious if the more informed posters know whether this is indicative of an actual problem or improved reporting? I note that he provides only percentages and not raw numbers, so I'm curious if the numbers behind the percentage increase and whether the percentages are more dramatic than the raw numbers.

quote:

Rural communities simply do not have the resources to fund the additional police and sheriff deputies needed to address these issues.

This drifts off topic but this point seems very disengenous to me seeing as rural Oregon communities refuse to properly fund public safety in general, so it's not particularly compelling that they are understaffed when dealing with this specific issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

A question about "diversion".

Okay, so you have states like Oregon that are allegedly producing three times what the state market buys, if you combine legal and illegal grows. Just anecdotally, it seems from the news and forums that at least in some percentage of cases, people are buying *legal* weed in official packaging and sending/carrying it to other states.

So why are people not just mostly/entirely buying from Oregon's illegal output (same for other states) and exporting that, so they can get a lower wholesale price without taxes and fees, etc and not have to deal with daily purchase limits? Is packaged legal product so much more prestigious than "it's in an unmarked plastic vacuum-sealed bag, but it's from Oregon" weed that it's still more profitable to buy legal weed and sell it at a markup?

Or (just to spitball here) is it the case that a large number of people illegally shipping/carrying weed out of state are very casual "smugglers" and basically the kind of people who don't even know people who own a grow and would sell them a 10lb sack of weed, so it's just easier to walk into a series of stores and buy your limit and drive back to Texas as opposed to establish underworld connections?

Related question: are legal weed folks broadly in support of cracking down on the black market? Like if someone owns a legal weed store in Portland, do they not resent folks who are growing product on free National Forest land in the interior, paying no taxes, and passing it off to dealers in Portland that pay no taxes on weed or wages? If somehow Congress succeeds in passing a "leave legal weed alone" bill, and Sessions' DOJ goes after the illegal grows throughout Oregon, would pro-weed people be generally positive about that because it would drive yet more of the market into the legal, taxed economy?

I think one factor is it’s really cheap here. Even with the retail overhead and taxes. So the price may honestly be low enough that the legal packaging might add a premium that outports the vacuum sealed bag. I guess I’m not knowledgeable enough about the black market to know. Here’s an article about prices at retail falling under $2/gram if you hunt deals. http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...plodes.html.csp

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 18, 2018