Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This was inevitable. The people who thought Sessions, Trump, and Bannon wouldn't go after legal weed must have been high as poo poo. How could they not crack down? Scorpion and the frog people. It's in their nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Administration declares a full-on War on (Recreational) Weed (I'd find it almost unfathomable if they tried to seriously crack down on MMJ)

Your analysis is great and much appreciated but I feel like this is a very "reasonable" pre 11/9 mentality to hold. Is cracking down on medical weed really more unfathomable than Jeff "Too Racist to be a Judge in the 80s" becoming Attorney General? Or Breitbart becoming the architect of American domestic and foreign policy? It was unfathomable in an era where Republicans had to worry about winning elections. Based on their recent actions, I don't think we're still living in that era.

I think MMJ is a distant priority for the government (gonna stop saying "trump administration", might as well face up that they're the government now) but personally I can't fathom how they won't go after it. It's not a policy issue to these people, it's a culture war.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Google Butt posted:

So how long until Sessions subpoenas MMJ dispensaries and cross references those records with the gun registry database?

That'll be one of the countless (possible) power grabs to come after the first mass shooting or terrorist attack.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 26, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Google Butt posted:

All those private prisons are going to be filled to the brim with people serving 5 years to life for weed.

Wall street agrees with you, although the weedsmoking black teens are probably gonna have to fight the undocumented families for bunk space.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

With all due awareness of "LOL nothing matters", this doesn't seem to be anything that Trump has a big personal stake in, vetoing it would be pretty contentious and risk undermining a portion of his base, etc.

I agree. I just don't think Trump's opinion matters at all.

Sessions hates weed. Bannon and Sessions are a team. Bannon tells Trump what to do.

Therefore I'm pretty drat sure Trump would veto any progressive cannabis legislation.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sessions is starting to warm up his War on Cannabis machine. He's asked Congress to remove protections on Medical Marijuana states so he can sic the Justice Dept. on the providers.

quote:

Jeff Sessions personally asked Congress to let him prosecute medical-marijuana providers

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is asking congressional leaders to undo federal medical-marijuana protections that have been in place since 2014, according to a May letter that became public Monday.

The protections, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, prohibit the Justice Department from using federal funds to prevent certain states "from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession or cultivation of medical marijuana."

In his letter, first obtained by Tom Angell of Massroots.com and verified independently by The Washington Post, Sessions argued that the amendment would "inhibit [the Justice Department's] authority to enforce the Controlled Substances Act."

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Nevada growers are right to be hoarding weed, because Sessions continues to assemble his War on Drugs 2.0 (Grits & Gravy Edition) Mecha to shut down this weed problem once and for all. Good article from the Times summing up the current situation:

quote:

States Keep Saying Yes to Marijuana Use. Now Comes the Federal No.

In a national vote widely viewed as a victory for conservatives, last year’s elections also yielded a win for liberals in eight states that legalized marijuana for medical or recreational use. But the growing industry is facing a federal crackdown under Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has compared cannabis to heroin.

A task force Mr. Sessions appointed to, in part, review links between violent crimes and marijuana is scheduled to release its findings by the end of the month. But he has already asked Senate leaders to roll back rules that block the Justice Department from bypassing state laws to enforce a federal ban on medical marijuana.

[skipped a bunch of stuff, read the article for more]

A Quinnipiac University poll in February concluded that 59 percent of American voters believe cannabis should be legal. Additionally, the poll found, 71 percent say the federal government should not prosecute marijuana use in states that have legalized it.

“This is part of a larger set of issues that the country is wrestling with right now, where a very strong-willed minority is trying to impose its value system on the country as a whole,” said Roger McNamee, an industry investor.

But marijuana businesses are bracing for a possible clampdown.

“People that were sort of on the fence — a family office, a high-net-worth individual thinking of privately financing a licensed opportunity — it has swayed them to go the other way and think: not just yet,” said Randy Maslow, a founder of iAnthus Capital Holdings. The public company raises money in Canada, where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau campaigned on a promise to legalize recreational use of marijuana.

It's all going to come down to whether Senate leaders strike the rules holding him back or they don't. If they strike the rules, I guarantee you Sessions will start using the Justice Department to go after marijuana businesses in legal states. Then we'll get to see what happens when a tyrannical federal government goes up against the will of the people. (weed civil war??)

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I guess I'm naive as hell for thinking Republicans would evolve their views on anything but this seems like such an easy obvious win-win for them. Were I a GOP consultant, this is the poo poo I would be pushing to try to attract the next generation of voters.

I would agree: this is naive as hell. Culture war is culture war, and conservatives like Sessions (and the millions of people that think like him) will always battle for their "tribe". Marijuana will always be the signifier of degenerate persons like blacks, gays, and jazz musicians, and Good White Christians will fight against those kind of people forever.

This particular crowd of eager young right-wingers is in Ukraine, but those alt-righters and 3%ers you see massing in Texas and in Berkeley would happily hoist the same banner. They might even smoke weed themselves in private, but they still know marijuana is for "the other team".

Tab8715 posted:

The only folks against continued drug decriminalization and legalization is only Jeff Sessions, Steve King and Chuck Grassely.

You're wrong. 40% of America is against legal weed, and that's the opinion that Sessions cares about. Actually he doesn't really even care about them, just his own ingrained bigotry, but he'll gladly position himself as fighting for the Moral Minority.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Telephones posted:

How successful will they be? It seems like legal weed is done for, or at the very least shops will start closing up.

It might not be popular thing for sessions to do, but this seems to be an ideological war.

A few high-profile daylight profile busts (with decades long sentences in jail for shop owners) will shut down storefront shops and everything will go back to grey/black markets. If you're a street dealer, now is your chance to get back in the game!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

It seems as if Sessions has mostly given up on marijuana enforcement. I was concerned as well but it appears to be a a non-issue.

My opinion is that the Trump/Sessions axis was significantly depowered after Sessions recused himself from the Russia case. That seems to have permanently made an enemy of him in Trump's mind. Remember the public shaming? Sessions wanted full on culture war but he doesn't have the ability to do it anymore. He's just doing petty poo poo like suing Harvard for not letting in enough white people.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It's going to get really loving messy. Sessions and his culture warriors aren't playing around and they don't give a poo poo about GOP electoral losses. God is on their side, and they're gonna do whatever they can to shut down legal weed.

quote:

“I do expect to see the larger investors and businesses targeted,” said Kevin Sabet, a prominent critic of legalized marijuana and former drug-control policy official in the Obama administration, who praised the step. “I’m not sure whether local mom-and-pop marijuana shops will be affected.”

However, Republican Senators do care about electoral losses. Will Woke Cory Gardner save us?

quote:

“This reported action directly contradicts what Attorney General Sessions told me prior to his confirmation. With no prior notice to Congress, the Justice Department has trampled on the will of the voters in CO and other states,” Mr. Gardner wrote on Twitter, adding: “I am prepared to take all steps necessary, including holding DOJ nominees, until the Attorney General lives up to the commitment he made to me prior to his confirmation.”

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

To give the devil his due, Sessions has previously raised the valid point that the current status quo is ridiculous, and that if Congress wants him not to enforce the laws, they need to do their job and change the laws.

This could be nothing, or a hassle, or it could be the opening that leads to national legalization.

I'm honestly shocked that you would fall for such shameless concern trolling from a man who said his only problem with the KKK was that they "smoked pot." Seriously?

Sessions hates the demon weed. He doesn't want Congress to reschedule, he wants an wild escalation of the War on Drugs. He wants marijuana use eradicated on American soil.

This will be many things but it is absolutely 100% a setback. Accelerationism is bullshit, bad things are not actually good things, this is not the opening that leads to national legalization. Decent people will go to jail over this.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 4, 2018

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I hear is simply amazing if you're an unemployed white twentysomething who's smart enough to keep a low profile, you can be a micro-druglord with minimal chances of being stopped.

With Legal w/o Commercial, we should also be able to count on the support of Kevin Sabet and Smart Approaches to Marijuana, since their NGO explicitly states that they don't support criminalizing users or small-time dealers, but are just trying to prevent Big Weed from corrupting Are Kids. I'm sure they'll stand by that principle and play a frontline role in bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

See dude, this is where we're at. You include this tidibit like it's nothing, but it's everything. Semi-legality for white people, blacks can keep getting thrown in jail.

DC's status isn't good or acceptable. It's the same old racist war on drugs in new clothing. What's going on in Massachusetts is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

By the way, is anyone tracking on this "light cannabis" trend in Europe? Apparently in Switzerland, Italy, and iirc Czechia, you can go to a tobacconist and buy a pack of hemp cigarettes that have CBD and other cannabinoids, just not more than x% THC.

https://www.dopemagazine.com/high-cbd-cannabis-italy/

Are you telling me they got scientists making schwaggy weed in a lab?? That's hosed up