Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida's competing horrible MMJ bills in their respective House and Senate are irreconcilable and dead this legislative session. Because of the language of Amendment 2, the onus now falls on the department of health to pass regulations by July.

Good news is this makes any of the dumber provisions from the various senate/house proposals more easily challenged in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WampaLord posted:

It's amazing that they don't realize weed is popular, even among Republicans. A lot of their older constituents want it for actual medical reasons, and a much larger part just want it because it's awesome. The part of the party that would actually revolt and not vote for them anymore if they went "Hey, we're dropping the fight on weed to focus on opiates" must be vanishingly small.

It makes zero sense, it's just letting Sessions pursue his own private bugaboo issue to the detriment of their own electoral chances.

Black people like it and it will cause white women to listen to jazz music and fall victim to miscegenation.

That's why pot was prohibited in the first place. It was used to demonize people by Nixon and further by Reagan because it's an easy way to persecute minorities with impunity. It's used in southern georgia to basically supply slave labor via maximum sentences for pot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I am not a maine lawyer but looked into their process a bit. Recreational pot was passed via legislative initiative. If i'm reading correct, all that was vetoed was the current retail scheme bill. As of right now, maine residents over 21 should be able to legally possess and grow, but there is no system for legal dispensing at the moment.

The legislature is meeting today to deal with the veto.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rhymenoserous posted:

Exactly what do you guys think the burning bush was in the Bible. Seems pretty clear to me...

It was a literal burning bush because there are actual bushes out there that essentially coat themselves in kerosene for the hot summer months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictamnus

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The trial arguments against FL's implementation of amendment 2 will be heard next month.

For those not up on FL laws, the implementing act for MMJ bans all forms of smokeable cannabis which is loving dumb and contrary to the amendment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's the only reason. The elected leadership is extremely anti-pot even in the face of overwhelming public favor. Basically they want to still have a way to criminalize minor possession by the wrong people while dragging their feet long enough to ensure the proper people have entrenched growing monopolies.

Vaping is 100% legal and so is any edible so long as it doesn't look like food or is sold in a final product form. So you have massively overpriced (600mg 60%thc for $90) vape carts that are so so in quality. I like that they have no flavor added, but they really aren't remotely as good as western products. They have inconsistent texture and i've had problems with them freezing up.

The edibles are either in oil solutions sold in droppers or basically cannibutter in capsule form.

Medical pot in florida leaves much to be desired.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They don't have anything you can really dab and if they do it'll probably cost something stupid like $100/g

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was a petition to get a recreation amendment on the ballot down here but it fell woefully short.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There's a lot of people looking into Christian Bax and the state is likely getting sued over him.

For those not in the know, Bax was appointed to lead florida's medical marijuana office last year despite no experience or qualifications. The job posting was unlisted and he was the only applicant.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MooselanderII posted:

Apparently the new policy would leave it to each US Attorney to figure out what to do. Anyone have any idea how that would shake out?

Everywhere outside of the south, exactly as it has been now.

Anywhere in the south is going to see a major rampup of arrests/convictions for black people that would otherwise be legally possessing under state law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I believe a lot of states will step in the place of citizens facing charges and sue the federal government under 10th amendment grounds or somesuch. This is a federalism issue at it's core since congress is recalcitrant. Significant majorities of a majority of states are in support of medical if not outright legalization. Likewise, states aren't going to sit by while tax revenue disappears.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just came out yesterday: Oklahoma will have its MMJ ballot intiative vote on 26 June. I assume there's some dark and selfish reason for June over November?

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/oklahoma-will-vote-on-medical-marijuana-in-june

Less democratic turnout during a midterm primary.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WampaLord posted:

Might I ask how you managed to get one?

I have one. They're super easy to get if you have any issues that are covered. Basically pay the MMJ doc $300 for a visit and a fee every 6 months after that for followup, $75 to dept of health, and boom you have a card.

Whole flower is still not legal in florida but will be once lawsuits are sorted out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yes. Right now places are limited to exclusively local banks and can only take debit cards in florida because they run them as an ATM transaction. Allowing proper banking eliminates the biggest criminal problem (massive amounts of cash that requires armed security) and turns dispensaries into places more like liquor stores or pharmacies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NORML in florida tried to get a recreational petition on the ballot this year but was unable to get enough signatures.

Florida (outside of the legislature) has become very accepting of pot, but I still don’t see full recreational yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The smokable cannabis portion of the FL MMJ enacting act has been ruled unconstitutional but is stayed pending SCOFL review. So soon enough smokeable cannabis will be legal for medical patients in florida.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's similar to Florida where prices are about 10-20% above black market so they're making hefty loving margins right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Medical prices in Florida are partially inflated because there's no legal smokeable cannabis yet. One dispensary has a way around this because they sell an eighth in little ceramic cups with metal lids on top for use in a type of tabletop vape they sell. People tend to just crack them open and boom you have an eighth of coarsely ground stuff. Very few stems to remove, but it smokes best still passed through a grinder. $55

They also sell concentrates (dab oil) in a syringe. 850mg for $60/each. Vape carts are 10-15 bucks more expensive than the black market equivalent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In good news, Andrew Gillum is pro-recreational and his opponent already called him a monkey within 12 hours of the primaries ending. Should be fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Today was oral arguments regarding Florida’s smoking ban on medical pot at the first DCA. Judges grilled the state and new governor Desantis has indicated he’s going to drop the state’s challenge.

Note the smoking ban has already been found unconstitutional.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Governor DeSantis has told the legislature they have until march to modify the enabling legislation for Amendment 2 otherwise he's just going to flat drop all of the appeals on any medical marijuana lawsuit against the state. He's put in for a hold on a decision with the first DCA to keep them from ruling the statute unconstitutional before the legislature gets a chance to change it, but I dunno if the DCA will grant it to him.

Of note here are some of the lawsuits against the state:
Smoking ban (found unconstitutional at trial level)
Personal Growing Ban (found unconstitutional at trial level)

Plus a dozen or so others that mainly target the licensure process at various stages of appeal.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 18, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida smoking ban for medical marijuana is effectively dead with the unanimous senate passage of sb 182 and near unanimous house passage of the same. Gov. Desantis will sign it into law soon. It does have the hurdle that your doc must update your recommendation with some bullshit that the doctor’s I’ve spoken with already have default justification ready to go.

Once dispensaries have product in stock we will be able to buy up to 2.5 oz each 35 days and have up to 4 oz on your person at a time. Dispensaries I’ve spoken with expect to have both prerolled and just straight bud for sale by late june/early july.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i refuse to believe that ron desantis would do anything for a non-evil reason

he must be taking bribes or something

The state was going to lose the lawsuit at the appellate level and Desantis isn’t owned by the exact same interests as Scott so he had no reason to fight it. He said something along the lines of “i disagree with it, but it’s a 71% issue and it’s time the law reflect the will of the people.” Both John Morgan and Matt Gaetz pushed him hard on repeal and he was pretty direct with what the legislature needed to do.

Over 200k people in florida have active cards now. Old people loving love medical pot. Most customers are older people. I’m 34 and most other customers I see are older than me. It’s a softball for anyone and Rick Scott probably would have crushed Nelson if he had supported recreation marijuana.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Squalid posted:

Do you guys think Oklahoma or Florida could get recreational legalization via referendum in the next election? Is there an effort to get that on the ballot?

There has been attempts at signature collection for each election but they haven’t yet got the required amount. The amendment would legalize, tax, and regulate recreational marijuana like alcohol.

It might make it for the next election.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As of monday, smokeable cannabis is legal in Florida for medical patients. Patients need to get their doctor to update their recommendation and sign a dangers of smoking disclosure with your doctor. Currently Trulieve is the only dispensary with green available at the bargain basement prices of 33-53/eighth ounce with no larger quantities available.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

turnip kid posted:

These idiots can’t help themselves. Why? Who’s asking for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.or...-story,amp.html

They don’t want to lose the ability to prosecute black people for minor amounts of drugs.

The smell of pot is one of the top sources of probable cause for warrantless searches in the state of florida.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just got my first bit of legal smokeable cannabis in florida. Es bueno.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: this from the same pieces of poo poo that forced us to use high thc concentrates for years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

turnip kid posted:

What are the chances it'll survive the Florida Senate or be vetoed by... ugh... Ron DeSantis? Any hope at all? I'm particularly bummed because I JUST got my card. It's weird that they're not going after the super high THC concentrates.

The senate is the one that fixed the smoking bill from the house’s bullshit that would have required multiple doctor visits with only pre-rolled purchases available.

If the senate does not fix it, I’m sure that another lawsuit will shortly follow. There’s also a good chance DeSantis will veto as he’s explicitly came out against excessive smoking restrictions as “it’s the will of the people.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WampaLord posted:

This is just the bill that puts a weird artificial 10% cap on THC content in dry herb right? But they're still selling the concentrates that are 90% THC?

God my state is such trash.

Correct. If the senate passes it and Desantis signs it into law, it will immediately be part of a lawsuit filed by patients and dispensaries, so this should be fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Something to point out: many people believe that you cannot get a concealed carry permit while also having an active medical marijuana card.

This is false. Florida’s secretary of agriculture, the department that handles CCWs and parts of MMJ has came out numerous times to put the record straight. Florida MMJ cardholders can also get a CCW under state law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida smokeable cannabis prices have finally dipped below black market prices with noticeable higher quality. None of the street stuff ever seemed to really be about 15% when comparing it to stuff from the dispensary. I never get lower than 18% from the shops now. I do get a bit of a discount everywhere (10-25%) for being a veteran, but I can get 1/8ths for $21 of some 20% green. We're still pricier than recreational states, for sure, but green here is now arguably the cheapest and highest quality available in the south.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Inspector Hound posted:

No, that's not bad at all, I don't get good rec eighths for that without a coupon. I'm curious though, were actually able to test your black market weed?

Nah I never went to those lengths to test it. But there were a variety of sources ranging from local grown to imported, and regardless of what anyone said anything was, comparatively the street level stuff came out around the same as ~15% stuff I get from the dispensary on the high end. Actual black market stuff in the 20% range was rare regardless of source.

The dispensary stuff, by and large, is really good weed. Almost all of the conglomerates down here are existing companies selling good stuff. By law every batch has to be tested and labeled. I don't really know how well that is inspected and enforced, but the system is very regulation heavy with quite a bit of oversight.

One of the biggest changes in the past year has been an almost evaporation of black market smokeable cannabis. A lot of dealers are out of the game except for vapes because importing those still has arbitrage value over the high priced dispensary vapes. Those prices are coming down, too, with competition. Some stores are selling flavored vapes now, as well.

John Morgan is now pushing for recreational. He's trying to spearhead an amendment for 2020. The fact that youth smoking rates have decreased is holding sway with some of the diehards that fought against medical.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He's one of the many that got converted by actually seeing how much it helped someone close. In his case, his brother was paralyzed from a spinal injury, and John saw firsthand how he was able to basically get off pain medication entirely with increased functionality thanks to pot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There’s no bill or legislation on this subject. It’s just anti-pot people continuing their crusade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I love that they complain about THC levels now that flower bud is legal because they didn't bitch at all about anything back when vapes and dabs were the only legal weed in florida.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, everyone has seen Weeds at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Inspector Hound posted:

There's always the possibility other countries are more cautious about legalization because the legalization of cannabis in member countries is banned by a UN convention that's probably followed more closely than most of the ones against war crimes

I don't know that it's possible to really express how much damage America's war on drugs has done to the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Biden just announced he’s pardoning all federal pot possession convictions, urged states to do the same, and is working on rescheduling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i say swears online posted:

uhhh how many people have federal possession charges and not trafficking? lol

I think this is mainly going to be old convictions at this point, but it affects thousands of people.

The majority of these types of charges are at the state level, which is why he asked state governors to do the same.