Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Actually what he's looking for is us to say OMG how dare you say that weed advocates are racist!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Maybe there would be fewer pests if they were allowed to grow in a controlled environment under grow lights.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah the number of people in prison for simple marijuana possession is like, a very low percentage and legalization will do very little to address the mass incarceration problem. I mean, if you're intentionally conflating marijuana possession and cross-border cocaine trafficking or whatever, okay, but that's not really relevant here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also, in the other direction, it's not really fair to compare federal prisoners to those arrested in states - you should be comparing the 12,000 to the number of people in state prison for marijuana. Arrests are not all indictments let alone convictions, and convictions are not all incarcerations either.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

People who have a misdemeanor conviction for weed possession, even if they did no hard time, have their job and life prospects curtailed and have less incentive to not get involved in other crimes. Giving them a ticket instead just means they're annoyed and out a couple hundred bucks, but don't spend the rest of their life labeled a criminal.

"Guys, but almost nobody is in jail just for weed!" is one of those SAM red herrings to avoid discussing how marijuana charges negatively impact peoples' lives and careers.
Uhh...okay? That still doesn't make weed legalization a solution for mass incarceration. I wasn't trying to make any greater point than that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

You have like... three or four levels of bullshit going on here.

One: legalization would keep more people out of jail than the ones in for simple possession, because it would legalize more than possession. Obviously.

Two: legalization would remove many perverse incentives - both for enforcement and for users - that lead to more crimes being committed and existing crimes being more aggressively enforced. Not being a fundraiser for the PD would be big.

Three: It opens the doors for further reforms.
These are all weasel-y and not concrete. "It opens the door to further reforms" could be said about any change to any law. I love my boy brad and all but I don't think he's going to become a legitimate marijuana storefront owner just because it's legal now - three guesses as to what he actually does. BJS states that at most 15% of prisoners are in state prison for drugs, and that's every crime involving every drug, so marijuana is going to only be a fraction of that. For federal it's a higher percentage, but federal prison is like, a weird special case and rather small compared to the number of folks in state prison. How many of those people agreed to plead guilty, to a drug charge in exchange for having other charges dropped? Future folks in that position will plead down to something else instead.

There are lots of reasons to legalize marijuana, but a way to address mass incarceration it is not. Do we still have a prison thread? This discussion is probably better suited there honestly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A lot of anti-cigarette legislation is probably because of that as well. No one ever has to admit that, "secondhand smoke kills" is a perfect alibi, but if it were odorless I doubt laws governing where you can smoke wouldn't be nearly as widespread, despite being more dangerous.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nooooo not kris kross....why must marijuana take everything I love

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just a warning to people buying "CBD" out of smoke shops in countries/states where cannabis is illegal, it's not CBD, it's Hemp oil and there's a big difference. Hemp is not Cannabis.

https://honestmarijuana.com/hemp-oil-vs-cbd-oil/?age-verified=fa70bf66ee
The lack of regulation means it's pretty hard to be sure of what you're getting anywhere - I'd be especially suspicious of something like CBD where it's a more subtle intended effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm okay with weed staying scheduled if they make a schedule for "Drugs that can be sold for any purpose but must come with literature accurately describing their effects."