Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Most people are here are talking about raids and crackdowns, but I think the biggest threat would be if the DOJ can somehow find a way to withhold other federal funds from legalized states. That's kind of how they forced states to raise the drinking age to 21. All the issues in this thread that would prevent a crackdown like conviction rates, juries, prosecutors and manpower issues could all be irrelevant if they try something different.

That would first require them to do new federal spending, in order to withhold that spending - that's how the drinking age law worked. And I don't expect the Trump administration to do much new federal spending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

Seriously, it would have put Trump in a hell of a spot. If he re-schedules it he looks like a huge rear end in a top hat and pisses off pro-pot Republicans.

Uh, he hasn't been shy about looking like a huge rear end in a top hat and pissing off tons of Republicans. Have you been asleep since January 20th?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Google Butt posted:

It sucks that even if that passes congress it has to get by trump

Well, even if it did get past Trump, you still need a bunch of states to separately legalize weed. It would make weed sales in states that already legalized safe, but it does nothing for you if you're in a state that's hardcore against weed at the state level. They could continue to make it illegal to buy, sell, and grow it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Google Butt posted:

it keeps you out of federal prison

You already don't go to federal prison for simple possession, you get abused by local cops and thrown in state prison instead. Hell, it's rare to get federal charges instead of state charges even for fairly big time dealers.

We have 12,000 people in federal prison for crimes related to marijuana, which is bad. But we have nearly 650,000 people getting arrested yearly for marijuana related charges, and that's almost entirely state/local enforcement at work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Google Butt posted:

Reducing that number by 12,000 is huge. Not to mention you can't legally own a firearm and be a user of marijuna as long as it's scheduled.

It wouldn't though. Legalizing weed doesn't even guarentee you get out of jail if your only crime was weed-based, and a lot of those people in federal prison for crimes related to weed committed a whole bunch of other crimes and crimes related to other drugs as well.

Keep in mind we have those 650,000 people getting arrested a year for weed even with many states with outright legalization, and many more states with heavy decriminalization.

And not being allowed to own a gun isn't a problem in the first place.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ego-bot posted:

Wouldn't Christie get a say in that?

Christie's term limited. The election for his replacement is this year

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ego-bot posted:

Oh, I was thinking the decision would be sometime this year.

A decision could be made this year, but the legislature might punt to the next tern and next gov in 2018.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

No, I totally get all that but we're in 2017 and marijuana acceptance has literally never been higher (pun intended).

Like you would think a Paul Ryan type would be all over it and going "Wow, a great free market solution to raise revenue for states!" and pushing Sessions to focus on opiates, which are actually killing the party.

I guess I'm naive as hell for thinking Republicans would evolve their views on anything but this seems like such an easy obvious win-win for them. Were I a GOP consultant, this is the poo poo I would be pushing to try to attract the next generation of voters.

Popularity of the ACA has literally never been higher too, but guess what the republicans are trying to do there too?

WampaLord posted:

Does the bully pulpit no longer exist? I understand no one except Trump can fire or directly influence him, but words can be said.

The Paul Ryan bully pulpit? That's not a thing, even if he wasn't a colossal schween who's only speaker because no one else was dumb enough yet popular enough to take the job after Boehner fled it. He simply doesn't have the gravitas.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dmitri-9 posted:

40% may be against adult use but only 10-20% are against medical.

Right, because it's really easy to pass "medical marijuana" laws that only the rich and super-sick can actually use, so that they can use it themselves but the cops can still arrest all the minorities they want over it and their Innocent Little Johnny won't use it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The net thing to take away is simply that Massachusetts voters simply support marijuana more, and politicians opposed to marijuana need to be more afraid of outright going against them. And as far as tinkering with the framework, most people who were behind getting the ballot measure in place fully expected and planned for that to happen to clear up various aspects of the laws.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The "first 100 days" milestone that Murphy and Senate/House leaders have placed in NJ mean legalizing by... April 26. Hopefully they can manage it 7 days ahead or so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

Personally, I don't see how it'll last. It won't be too long before little Johnny runs a small side business or gets caught up with the wrong crew only find out he's going to Federal Prison. I'm sure that'll play great on the evening news along with his sobbing suburban mother outside the courthouse.

Yeah it's not like any kids of wealthy people have gone to prison for selling drugs before, surely once that happens the drug war will end because of outrage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

That's part of the reason why it's been legalized in so many States and why Local Law Enforcement has often turned a blind eye towards marijuana. With the drug entry into mainstream it will only build more pressure on voters to remove those from office who won't bring the issue to the table.

It won't be a few kids going to jail, it's going to much more folks.

Ok since I was a bit too subtle there, there's already tons of people going to jail over this. Most states still make it illegal for the majority of people to have weed let alone anything else. The feds going around saying they're not going to wink-wink-nudge-nudge look the other way over real legalization is very unlikely to increase the push for actual legalization in places that aren't already in favor of it.

And a bunch of the places people aren't already in favor of weed love all the other dumb bullshit Trump and the Republicans love and do and aren't going to punish them over the weed issue.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

New Jersey has a new governor sworn in, and he wants a Legalization bill on his desk chop chop so he can pass it. For your nostalgic contrast, here are a number of "over my dead body" quotes from outgoing governor Chris Christie: http://www.thecannabist.co/2018/01/15/chris-christie-marijuana-quotes-history/96795/

And Virginia has a new governor, Ralph Northam, who made Decrim a major point during his campaign, so watch for VA to slide into that category soon.

Re New Jersey, I was idly dicking around with GoogleMaps to figure out how people in NYC are going to go get weed once NJ legalizes this year. Turns out there aren't direct subway stops from the NY system, but there are two trains going from Manhattan west into NJ on the separate PATH system. So look for whoever is smart enough to open a dispensary just off the first PATH stop to make a killing selling to New Yorkers. Philly I'm not sure, can't you just walk/bike across a bridge and be in NJ?

Given that diversion of legal weed to non-legal states has come under scrutiny, I imagine that being a much huger issue once NJ goes all-in. Getting weed out of Colorado involves driving through hours of empty space and limited routes in severely anti-weed states, whereas from NJ it's going to be a 30-minute trip and back across the border to a Decrim state that theoretically doesn't care as long as you're carrying under the legal limit (25g for NY?). So that will be a fun one to watch.

The PATCO subway goes directly from Center City across the Ben Franklin bridge into Camden with two stops in the downtown there, and then goes another 12 miles or so deep into the suburbs. Besides that, yes, you could walk or bike across that same bridge. There's also commuter rail service that connects the main Amtrak station in Philly which is also one of the main PA-side commuter rail hubs, to a station in Pennsauken that's actually located on the ramp down from the full on rail bridge to the surface rail lines on the Jersey side that continue on to Atlantic City for passengers. Plus there's all the road bridges which tend to already have big rear end liquor stores located nearby for PA residents trying to get a deal compared to the PA shops which are more limited and expensive - I feel it's almost certain one of those establishments or their neighbors is going to try for a weed license.

Also there's two separate PATH branches across the river, one crosses all the way down across from the WTC and terminates there, its first stop in NJ is in Jersey City pretty much right at the river edge. The other branch crosses the river a ways up and travels into Midtown and its first NJ stop (which depends on the route and time of day) will either be the Hoboken commuter rail terminal or a different station in Jersey City from the one the WTC line goes to. Besides that though, you can just walk or bike across the George Washington Bridge from upper Manhattan (with several subway stations close by) into Fort Lee on the NJ side which has some commercial strips near where the walkway lets out. There's also a whole bunch of ferry routes from various points on Manhattan to various points on the Jersey side of the Hudson, as well as some high speed ferries that go out to further south points on the Jersey coast for commuters which also might become places for weed shops. There's also the numerous commuter rail lines that run into Midtown Manhattan from NJ which pass through a few stations that might end up with weed shops at some point.

Point being, there's a TON of suitable locations for weed shops to open up and serve huge amounts of people crossing the rivers from 2 of the biggest cities in the country, and one of those areas already has a ton of catering to out of state residents trying to dodge laws and taxes on intoxicants.

Also 30 minute trip? You can be across the Delaware on PATCO from the edge of Center City to the middle of Camden in 5 minutes and back in another 5 minutes. From the World Trade Center station to Exchange Place across the Hudson, it's only 4 minutes. Even accounting for getting from platform to street level and back, you could make a round trip across either river for weed in under 15 minutes with favorable schedule timing and something like a called in order at the store so there's no long wait. Now that's a "trafficking hazard"!:v:

Edit: With current timetables, one could take the 4:03 PM PATH train out of WTC station, arrive at Exchange Place and have about 5 minutes to get up to street level for a weed shop located right next to an entrance to the station and then back down to get on a train, and arrive back at WTC station at 4:19 PM. And you'd have enough time to get to the surface by 4:20.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 18, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lawman 0 posted:

What's actually stopping the tobacco companies from just snapping up a bunch of weed companies?

They're all national if not multi-national companies and it's pretty dangerous for them to buy things out while its still illegal federally, let alone in the other countries where they operate.

If federal legalization happens, or even majority of the major states, they'll sweep in and start buying places up. But it's just not good business for them to do it now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You don't see a problem with a tincture of 3% CBD being the same price as one with 20%? Yeah you're taking the same thing but have to take 10x as much to get the same benefits at a much higher cost? How is that helpful?

There's places that will sell you a bottle of beer that's 2.3% ABV for the same price as beers that are 10% ABV or even 18% ABV. As long as it's properly labeled how's that a problem really?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just learned that Massachusetts legalized two years ago, but I moved to the no-fun part of Mass where every town's banned dispensaries :smith:

And how does Lowell not have one? The hell?

Only three towns/companies got their paperwork together for the first approvals of stores, because the state really dragged its rear end on getting the final requirements cemented. Lowell's got several dispensaries but they're all currently medical and the main shops that wanted to open recreational there aren't likely to get their approval until the spring.

The current Cannabis Control Commission rules, to make things the most fair for getting approvals in, is that each time a new shop opens for the first few months, it's going to be in a different part of the state than the last few that opened - the two that opened on the first day were in Leicester and Northampton, and now there's one open in Salem. The next one to win approval is likely to be down between Plymouth and Fall River, I heard, and then there's expected to be an approval out by the New York border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That sounds like strait up bullshit.

The enforcement is impossible and stupid
you hit part of it. But what about the court side? You cant mount a viable defense because of the variability of acquisition.

What's impossible about it? Cop seses guy he wants to harass, uses this to harass them. Works great for the cops, especially how they can cearly then choose to hold you to "test" things if they need an excuse for further harassment.