Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This Alan Awake character seems like a bit of a prat.

It's the part where he storms out into the dark to get away from his wife who is afraid of the dark that gets me every time. :allears:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah Alan was a bit too abrasive for my tastes. I really identified with the protagonist of the sequel game that my aunt bought from the supermarket.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
As a resident of the state of Washington, I can confirm that we have many volcanoes, including more than one caldera lake. I get to look at one that's supposedly due to explode 'any time between now and 1000 years from now' every day when I look out the front window of my house.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hostile V posted:

Yeah Alan was a bit too abrasive for my tastes. I really identified with the protagonist of the sequel game that my aunt bought from the supermarket.

:eyepop: Yes, tovarich! Very good!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Shei-kun posted:

As a resident of the state of Washington, I can confirm that we have many volcanoes, including more than one caldera lake. I get to look at one that's supposedly due to explode 'any time between now and 1000 years from now' every day when I look out the front window of my house.

Don't look away, a watched volcano never erupts.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Accordion Man posted:

While I liked Alan Wake, this kind of goes into one of the big reasons why I think Deadly Premonition is the better game. Both games wear their inspiration on their sleeves; both are heavily inspired by Twin Peaks and as previously stated Alan Wake is Stephen King as hell, but Alan Wake is just content in just emulating them a lot without really doing much of its own thing while DP goes off of Twin Peaks' path and into its own direction. DP is a lot more clever with its narrative conceits as well, what Alan Wake tends to do is just spoil stuff that's going to happen through the collectible script pages, but DP actually messes with the preconceptions of someone who's played video games before when it comes to a certain character.
One advantage Alan Wake has over DP is that it works for the PC. People might not even get to play much of DP without running into many errors that might corrupt the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just a heads up, it might be a bit longer than usual till the next update comes, sorry about that. It's finals week!

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/806549284258775043

And all my editing time is being spent working on my video production course final.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Real life is more important than LPs. Don't worry about it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Agreed. We're not going anywhere, and you have more important things to think about.

Also....

CJacobs posted:

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/806549284258775043

And all my editing time is being spent working on my video production course final.

Same. Banish those pants and bring out the pajamas!!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Comrade, please! We have noticed you, this is not necessary!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I can't see any body hair. I hope you don't freeze to death CJacobs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

I can't see any body hair. I hope you don't freeze to death CJacobs.

Don't worry, the next shot is me grabbing my insulated comfy sweatpants! (edit: well actually the next shot is my pants flying from stage left to right into the hamper but you don't wanna see that)

http://puu.sh/sI68y/4d426e82fa.webm

Fish Noise posted:

Comrade, please! We have noticed you, this is not necessary!

To quote Skippy Granola from our earlier conversation about the tweet:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 8, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest mystery of this Let's Play so far is that I already am subscribed to Skippy Granola's youtube channel and I can't for the life of me work out why.

Not in an existential "Nothing he has done is of worth" way, but a "I must have been following a let's play of his and I can't remember which one" way.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Alan Wake is a game I remember extremely fondly and never want to play again because that would ruin my memories by reminding me how annoying it actually is

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

algebra testes posted:

The biggest mystery of this Let's Play so far is that I already am subscribed to Skippy Granola's youtube channel and I can't for the life of me work out why.

Not in an existential "Nothing he has done is of worth" way, but a "I must have been following a let's play of his and I can't remember which one" way.

I'm just happy to have re-earned your subscription. Thank you Alan Wake

White Coke
May 29, 2015

algebra testes posted:

For me it was Bulletstorm. Although I should have unsubscribed after I bought RAGE because he made it seem fun.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Skippy is one of the few Canadian LPers here. So it's nice to hear national pride twang.

Also, it's -30c/-22f here, so I don't see anything wrong with jackets, no matter how not chilly it is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Skippy is one of the few Canadian LPers here. So it's nice to hear national pride twang.

Also, it's -30c/-22f here, so I don't see anything wrong with jackets, no matter how not chilly it is.

The ones I can name off the top of my head are basically Skippy, Blind Sally, Jobbo_Fett, Tyty, Psychedelic Eyeball, and myself. :canada:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Think I subbed to Skippy during Saints Row The Third.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Come for the Alan Wake videos. Stay for the Skippy appreciation.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The ones I can name off the top of my head are basically Skippy, Blind Sally, Jobbo_Fett, Tyty, Psychedelic Eyeball, and myself. :canada:

There's also Lady Naga and Heavenator, though I am hard pressed to name anyone else.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

KieranWalker posted:

There's also Lady Naga and Heavenator, though I am hard pressed to name anyone else.

I think Kaubocks said he was Canadian in one of his recent videos. And there's Frenzy, along with Cletus, and Swordfish. And Danaru.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's time to get outside for a breath of fresh air, take in the sights and sounds of the night, kill a dog with an axe. All those things us city folk just aren't used to.

edit: by the way, I mention in the video that Alan Wake is 5 years old, because at the time it was. We recorded the commentary for the first episode of the game a literal year ago. My god.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 12, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is a fantastic loving LP.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Thanks to the Quantum Immortality Machine's unintended side effect, I have now read every version of Alan Wake's Departure. And I can confirm that the darkness is real. Especially as, in several of them, Departure is literally Jackie Estecado fanfiction.

Quantum immortality, as it turns out, is somewhat overrated.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

edit: by the way, I mention in the video that Alan Wake is 5 years old, because at the time it was. We recorded the commentary for the first episode of the game a literal year ago. My god.

Have you been recording commentary for a whole year or is there a backlog and you're doing fresh stuff now?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
In that last cutscene, the sheriff's expression is so well done (it doesn't quite fit the context, but it looks great), and then you get Alan Wake's inexplicably and (consistently) bad facial animation. Was this an inside joke for the team or something?

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Energizer Batteries: Reload them like bullets.

Energizer Lithium Batteries: One equals like three normal batteries.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

Have you been recording commentary for a whole year or is there a backlog and you're doing fresh stuff now?

The latter. This LP was supposed to start right after Dead Space 3, so I recorded the game and edited all the footage and Skippy and I recorded commentary for the first episode!

...And then I got sidetracked with a bunch of other LPs, so it got put in cold storage until just a month ago when we finally recorded Alan Wake's Episode 2. Believe me, there are a bevvy of jokes about it in store. :v:

AbstractNapper posted:

In that last cutscene, the sheriff's expression is so well done (it doesn't quite fit the context, but it looks great), and then you get Alan Wake's inexplicably and (consistently) bad facial animation. Was this an inside joke for the team or something?

I have no idea. Alan and Alice have the worst facial animations of anybody in the whole game and I just don't get it.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Thank you, that makes me feel good :unsmith:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

chitoryu12 posted:

I only ever get service on my Verizon phone once per year

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

They (the characters) have poorly modeled teeth. That's what is weird about them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Something I love about this game is the radios. The forests are incredibly oppressive and uncomfortable so having that soothing voice talking about nothing in particular is a wonderful respite.

Edit: Night Springs owns, but nothing could ever top Lords & Ladies from Max Payne 2.

One last edit: I love the songs at the end of each episode. People who skip the songs are WRONG.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 12, 2016

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't know what you guys are talking about - I totally have a torch (sorry, "flashlight") that is powered by my hands and that I can will to be brighter at the cost of draining its battery faster.

Alright fine it's a hand-crank torch with two brightness settings.

Anyway, you two are really funny. I don't know how you manage to stay so on the ball with your commentary all the way through.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I only just noticed how they actually simulated Wake's ears ringing the first time he fires the gun.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing how changing one simple word change the entire meaning of a piece of prose.

"I was terrified. I squeezed the fleshlight like my life depended on it, willing it to stop coming any closer. Suddenly, something gave, and the light seemed to shine brighter."

Also,

Nice piece of fish posted:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Alan Wake studied writing at the Moorcock Institute

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The latter. This LP was supposed to start right after Dead Space 3, so I recorded the game and edited all the footage and Skippy and I recorded commentary for the first episode!

...And then I got sidetracked with a bunch of other LPs, so it got put in cold storage until just a month ago when we finally recorded Alan Wake's Episode 2. Believe me, there are a bevvy of jokes about it in store. :v:

I've been ribbing him for a while now that this LP was so long in coming that it was originally supposed to be me and Blind Sally along with him instead of Skippy :v:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
CJacobs, I swear if you don't make a Liam Neeson joke by the end of this LP, I am gonna be, like, so disappointed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

I've been ribbing him for a while now that this LP was so long in coming that it was originally supposed to be me and Blind Sally along with him instead of Skippy :v:

It probably was! I didn't know Skippy when I first decided to do Alan Wake! I just have a habit of attracting handsome Canadians I guess.

IronSaber posted:

CJacobs, I swear if you don't make a Liam Neeson joke by the end of this LP, I am gonna be, like, so disappointed.

Oh don't you worry, there's plenty of time left for this gag to run its course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

It probably was! I didn't know Skippy when I first decided to do Alan Wake! I just have a habit of attracting handsome Canadians I guess.

It's not that difficult. You just dig a pit, cover it, and suspend some flannel and denim over it. They're so polite they even give you advice while you cook 'em.

• Locked thread