Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
An LP so long in coming it originally co-starred Maxwell Adams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Skippy Granola posted:

An LP so long in coming it originally co-starred Deceased Crab

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Skippy Granola posted:

An LP so long in coming it originally co-starred slowbeef

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Are you going to have an all-manuscripts video where it speeds up every time Alan and his 40 layers of clothing write something needlessly complex?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

All manuscripts video but every time Alan Wake tortures the prose Skippy plays We are number one on the banjo.

If I remember correctly the harder difficulties also reduce your supply, I certainly remember not having 20 Energizer Power batteriestm by the time you did Cjacobs.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 13, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Stormgale posted:

All manuscripts video but every time Alan Wake tortures the prose Skippy plays We are number one on the banjo.
That video would be over an hour long, I'm sure of it. :v: I'd be down for Skippy trying to play that on a banjo though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the manuscript pages, after every episode (of Alan Wake, not the LP) I'll be posting its manuscript pages in a separate video before moving onto the next one. Here's the thing about the manuscript pages that you might want to keep in mind, though: They frequently spoil upcoming events, sometimes in a clever way, sometimes in a "here is what's going to happen in episode 2 of alan wake" way. It's up to you to decide if you're okay with that or not, and if not, maybe skip watching these until the LP is finished.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man this LP is kinda making me want to play that most recent game they put out, with the actual TV show in it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Man this LP is kinda making me want to play that most recent game they put out, with the actual TV show in it.

It manages to be a lot more generic in Gameplay (and i'd argue story) than this.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Given the quality of Alan's writing I think NaNoWriMo is the only time he writes.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

algebra testes posted:

Oh, right; they did put out another game. It had something to do with time travel/manipulation, didn't it? What was it called?

Hmm, let's see; they had Max Payne, then Alan Wake, so... "Tim Travell"?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

Oh, right; they did put out another game. It had something to do with time travel/manipulation, didn't it? What was it called?

Hmm, let's see; they had Max Payne, then Alan Wake, so... "Tim Travell"?

Sam was more creative this time: Quentin Break

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have heard that Quantum Break is... not so good. Serviceable as a shooter, at least! But I haven't played it so I can't say for sure.

Skippy Granola posted:

Sam was more creative this time: Quentin Break

This is why I pay you the big bucks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So thanks to the Deer Fest information, we can actually figure out that Alan Wake begins on September 1st and Alan wakes up in the car on the night of September 8th.

Bright Falls is located in Washington state. The recorded climate in Tacoma, WA on September 8th, 2010 was a high of 63 degrees and a low of 54 degrees. As such, Alan is likely suffering from severe overheating during the daytime.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

CJacobs posted:

I have heard that Quantum Break is... not so good. Serviceable as a shooter, at least! But I haven't played it so I can't say for sure.

Future LP, perhaps?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

So thanks to the Deer Fest information, we can actually figure out that Alan Wake begins on September 1st and Alan wakes up in the car on the night of September 8th.

Bright Falls is located in Washington state. The recorded climate in Tacoma, WA on September 8th, 2010 was a high of 63 degrees and a low of 54 degrees. As such, Alan is likely suffering from severe overheating during the daytime.

The real question I ask myself is how the gently caress Alan can MOVE with all those layers. He's bundled up like that kid in A Christmas Story.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of the manuscript pages, after every episode (of Alan Wake, not the LP) I'll be posting its manuscript pages in a separate video before moving onto the next one. Here's the thing about the manuscript pages that you might want to keep in mind, though: They frequently spoil upcoming events, sometimes in a clever way, sometimes in a "here is what's going to happen in episode 2 of alan wake" way. It's up to you to decide if you're okay with that or not, and if not, maybe skip watching these until the LP is finished.

Oh god. That is some proper schlock horror writing. Now all he needs is an uninspired boring love story and creatures that sparkle when exposed to light and... oh. Right.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

IronSaber posted:

Future LP, perhaps?

I think the problem with that is twofold: One Quantum break's PC performance is horrendus last time I checked and two: It's very mediocre, it isn't joyously cheesy or good or even bad enough to mock like say Thi4th, it's just there... it's porridge.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hey C-Jakes, how did you change Roy Orbison to avoid copyright shenanigans? He sounded remarkably similar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also for anyone who couldn't hear the credits song properly, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTNRZjZRhk

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I know it's been mentioned, but the lip syncing is distracting levels of awful. I have to think it was done that way on purpose, I refuse to believe that developers who can animate water so well can't manage to synch human lips to words.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey C-Jakes, how did you change Roy Orbison to avoid copyright shenanigans? He sounded remarkably similar.

All I had to do was pitch shift it down one semitone and I guess that + us yammering over it was enough! I'm sure for future songs it won't be so easy.

edit: Hey, by the way, I'm gonna try streaming just about every night at around 6 pm cst! So keep an eye on the Let's Stream thread if you wanna watch me fumble my way through Max Payne 3 at high velocity live. I will mostly be doing Max Payne 3 speedruns but I'll probably play other stuff too sometimes when I get sick of that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 14, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stormgale posted:

I think the problem with that is twofold: One Quantum break's PC performance is horrendus last time I checked and two: It's very mediocre, it isn't joyously cheesy or good or even bad enough to mock like say Thi4th, it's just there... it's porridge.
The PC performance is fine since they ported it over to Steam instead of leaving it to be condemned to Windows 10 store.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I recall episode 2's ending song being the best one and now I gotta listen to it tyvm. Bah dah bah-bah

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eating only apples posted:

I recall episode 2's ending song being the best one and now I gotta listen to it tyvm. Bah dah bah-bah

Oh yeah! I need to make a table of contents header for the licensed songs because there's tons of them in the game and they're great, just like I did with Spec Ops! What a good reminder.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I wonder if getting punched by Alan's dainty writer hands actually hurts. Maybe it's like getting hit angrily with a very lumpy pillow. Yeah it hurts and all, but it's still a pillow.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 19, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

As we've [you've] established, Alan has arthritis so his punch would probably hurt himself more than the other person.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
They're "Taken!" Alan says. Inside my head I scream: "IS THIS DESTINY NOW?"

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

He stole his own wife's coffee thermos. What an rear end. You know, lord knows when Alan dies he's going to be like V.C. Andrews and have his children or wife ghostwrite using his name. ....is that a loving QR code in Alan's office where he was looking at the book cover mock ups.

Oh. The fishing man doctor combo is offering Alan drugs. Max Payne sequel bait? Aww is that a missing cat poster in the police station? :C Go home cat, go home!

AHHHHHHHHH BARRY!! Third best character. Well, maybe fourth. That deer float was pretty sweet. But Barry's shirt is pretty sweet also.
"Listen Barry, I was partying with Max for a whole week. Sure there were drugs, but we needed them after getting shot a whole lot by these gang members."

Man I love that lodge. Everything is so pretty there. Look at that view of the mountains and the trees and sky! And the bear. I love that bear. There's so much variety in plants and the bark on felled trees is jacked up and look! There's moss! It might be dark as gently caress at times, but it's so pleasing to look at. The night sky is great, too. Are there actual constellations or just random scatterings of stars? Either way, so nice.

Also, Skippy had a good point about how creepy Stucky is. Either the person infected by the darkness is trying to break through, or the darkness is trying to make constructs that look and act like normal people but just can't get it right. Or maybe I'm giving the writers of this game too much credit.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Alan Wake needs to drink so much coffee to stay sober. If he wasn't constantly guzzling thermoses dry he'd crack open some brewskis and never come back out. If only he wasn't fighting his alcoholism with kleptomania.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It would be great if Spooky shadow Monsters followed the NFL's concussion protocol.

"Alan I am going to kill youuuuuu."

"Aww man sorry guys I gotta sit down till the end of the game they think I have concussion."

"No problems Alan you lie down, take it easy and get better. Raaaaarrrrr darknesss raaarrrr."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
When Skippy said 'this episode is sponsored by Danny's' I was expecting Danny Diesel :saddowns:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No no, Denny's! Delicious down-home country breakfast!

It's cheap! But also tasty.

value-brand cereal posted:

Also, Skippy had a good point about how creepy Stucky is. Either the person infected by the darkness is trying to break through, or the darkness is trying to make constructs that look and act like normal people but just can't get it right. Or maybe I'm giving the writers of this game too much credit.

I think the creepiest part is that according to the game itself, people that are taken by the darkness can't be saved. They're just stuck being half-human or formerly-human dark creatures from hell until someone like your young enterprising writer pal puts them out of their misery.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 19, 2016

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Re: Shadow-Stucky - oh yeah, I was going to say after the first video that the doomed/undead people sort of imitating their living days by rote reminds me of the shibito in the Siren games. It's really effective there too. More-so really, I'd say.

Anyway, it's been said, but I really appreciate the atmosphere and environmental design in Alan Wake. It has a great sense of place and I loved exploring it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I really love how Barry is presented in the game. It's so common for the "fat comic relief character" archetype to be a boring stereotype, but he's actually a portrayed as a great guy with a good sense of humor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, sorry for this episode being mostly cutscenes/dialogue for us to jabber over. This episode and episode 4 really frontload all the cutscenes and stuff. In general Alan Wake goes half-hour of cutscenes and exposition, followed by an hour-ish of nordic walking. Parts 2 and 3 of this ep are gonna be full of uninterrupted woods-walking, don't you worry.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

When Skippy said 'this episode is sponsored by Danny's' I was expecting Danny Diesel :saddowns:

Danny Diesel says "Why Nordic walk when you can chooch?"

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

value-brand cereal posted:

....is that a loving QR code in Alan's office where he was looking at the book cover mock ups.

There are QR codes all over the place in this game. I have no idea what they link to.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

I really love how Barry is presented in the game. It's so common for the "fat comic relief character" archetype to be a boring stereotype, but he's actually a portrayed as a great guy with a good sense of humor.
Not only that but they really make you think he's just Alan's sleazy agent who's only in it for the money at first, but nope he's actually Alan's best friend and is totally willing to risk his neck fighting phantom lumberjacks to help his pal Al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yet another Barry who is the best character in his respective series!

• Locked thread