Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

value-brand cereal posted:

..is that a loving QR code in Alan's office where he was looking at the book cover mock ups.

There are a few of those QR codes in the PC version (not too many, I can only think of just two in the entire game). They are easter eggs or sort-of inside jokes.

That one, when scanned says

quote:

Huh. Turns out this isn't too bad even if you're not sitting on a couch when you play it. Who knew!

And that is a joke-reference to the Microsoft guy who said

quote:

Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen
when Microsoft became the publisher for Alan Wake, and they made it Xbox 360 exclusive, effectively canceling at that time the PC version -- a move and comment that hurt Remedy's good reputation in the PC gaming community (and their existing fan base).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Yet another Barry who is the best character in his respective series!

If only this Barry also pulled out an enormous hand cannon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

If only this Barry also pulled out an enormous hand cannon.

Based on the state of Hartman's nose, it seems Al is the one with the hand cannon this time around.

AbstractNapper posted:

There are a few of those QR codes in the PC version (not too many, I can only think of just two in the entire game). They are easter eggs or sort-of inside jokes.

That's cool! I didn't have a phone capable of reading QR codes until my latest one a short few years ago, so I always wondered what those said/did.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Barry is the Wang Chi to Allan's Jack Burton. But only if Jack Burton was also supremely uncool.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
But who is the Sluice Master here?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Alan pushing the light over was so childishly dramatic I had to laugh. Couldn't just resort to a dramatic "fist slamming on table" trope, nope, had to continue to make the dude look like a spazz.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I enjoy your Strong Bad impressions, Skippy.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

It's weird that this, of all games, does the fat comic relief guy character well.

I quite like the whole section with the police station and the cabins. Actually, I enjoy all the daylight moments in Alan Wake. I think horror games are more effective when they keep one foot in reality, rather than just being ALL MONSTERS, ALL THE TIME.

Also, please both do the entire commentary in Barry voices from now on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inferior posted:

I quite like the whole section with the police station and the cabins. Actually, I enjoy all the daylight moments in Alan Wake. I think horror games are more effective when they keep one foot in reality, rather than just being ALL MONSTERS, ALL THE TIME.

I really love games like Alan Wake that balance the action sequences with quieter, story-heavy segments. It's the same I reason I play stuff like Sleeping Dogs or BioShock Infinite, and it makes the world feel a lot more "real" and give more impact to the action that does happen.

In keeping with Remedy, I noticed that Max Payne 2 did the same thing on a lesser scale. There's a whole level in the police station that only shifts into combat for a short time at the very end, and the rest is just walking and talking and listening to all the humorous conversations. As much as I love Max Payne 3, I wonder how much it would have changed if Remedy was doing it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Based on the state of Hartman's nose, it seems Al is the one with the hand cannon this time around.

Have you seen the way Alan kicks doors and stuff apart? He uses a gun in this game to give the monsters a fighting chance.

Also Barry is totally the best character in this game and only gets better with time.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I remember watching a bit of this game sometime before and I never recalled Alan being such a dick. Probably just bad memory, but it really sank in when Rose was at the cabin talking so highly of him and the look on Alans face couldn't be more 'are we done yet'? Man, what a dick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jade Star posted:

I remember watching a bit of this game sometime before and I never recalled Alan being such a dick. Probably just bad memory, but it really sank in when Rose was at the cabin talking so highly of him and the look on Alans face couldn't be more 'are we done yet'? Man, what a dick.

http://i.imgur.com/YmC69cp.gifv

our hero

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Alan comes across to me as an introverted person who doesn't like being around other people all the time, who constantly has other people swarming him because of his job. I can relate, because I'm exactly the same way.

Now, I'm not saying Alan isn't acting like a douche bag, because he totally is--but I can kinda see why he acts the way he does. Still, dude ought to at least make a pretense of tolerating his fans once in a while.

And maybe lay off the tweed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

He needs to chill.

gently caress tweed, smoke weed.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

KieranWalker posted:

The tweed is only the outermost layer. It would be a start, but there's 79 more strata to the problem.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The hotel is a fun place to mess around in until it kills you.

Back in the jail, you can turn the light off again and the drunk doesn't like that at all.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I joked about it earlier, but you can interpret Alan as being a recovering alcoholic for whom drinking was an important part of the creative process. Drinking removes the internal critic and some writers use it to write without having the niggling doubt in the back of their head that everything they write is poo poo. If Alan is also a natural introvert who has trouble interacting with fans then being unable to get drunk before dealing with people would be another thing that grates on him. So his writers block might actually be because by trying to treat his disease he's removed an important coping mechanism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I definitely recommend reading the Alan Wake novel as well. It mostly follows the game faithfully, but it expands on Alan's history with his wife and his general state of mind at the time. It also establishes why he takes to guns so easily: he went shooting a bunch of times to do research for his Alex Casey novels.

According to his official Alan Wake Wiki page, Remedy intentionally chose to make Alan a dick because they felt that it made him a more realistic and relatable protagonist. He didn't have a top notch childhood and isn't able to handle his fame, so he tends to lash out at paparazzi and overbearing fans. And as the beginning of the game emphasizes, Alan has been under a lot of stress from writer's block. He's already twitchy when he arrives and all of this craziness isn't doing much good for his attitude.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Random thought: am I the only one who finds it pretentious that Alan's name on all his books is larger than the titles? I mean, let's be real here - you have to be Stephen King-level famous before you can get away with that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I definitely recommend reading the Alan Wake novel as well. It mostly follows the game faithfully, but it expands on Alan's history with his wife and his general state of mind at the time. It also establishes why he takes to guns so easily: he went shooting a bunch of times to do research for his Alex Casey novels.

According to his official Alan Wake Wiki page, Remedy intentionally chose to make Alan a dick because they felt that it made him a more realistic and relatable protagonist. He didn't have a top notch childhood and isn't able to handle his fame, so he tends to lash out at paparazzi and overbearing fans. And as the beginning of the game emphasizes, Alan has been under a lot of stress from writer's block. He's already twitchy when he arrives and all of this craziness isn't doing much good for his attitude.

That is true! Alan is a jerk, but he's a jerk under pressure. And to be fair, if I was fighting the forces of Darkness, I probably would be in a bad mood too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi! I'm in the hospital with hail stone sized kidney stones so there won't be any updates for a while. This sucks!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Hope you get well soon. Kidney stones are no joke.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

CJacobs posted:

Hi! I'm in the hospital with hail stone sized kidney stones so there won't be any updates for a while. This sucks!

Oh lord, kidney stones are one of my worst fears. Nothing like the constant horror of having to pass a spiky ball through your dick to keep one from consuming too much calcium.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately it was basically inevitable, it runs in my family on both sides. It was predestined, almost as if someone wrote my life to be this way!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ouch. Hope you get well soon and that it's relatively painless.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yikes, that's awful! I hope your recovery is quick!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah same. Quick and painless, buddy. :)

Unlike reading one of Alan's novels that is.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Shoulda used the clicker, bud.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will be praying for your wiener, dude.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
My dad used to suffer from kidney stones. According to him the only thing you can really do is take pain medication and drink lots of water. Unless the stones are impacted, then you'll need surgery. And you will be amazed at how tiny they are once you pass them. They are offensively small for something so painful. Unless they really are hail sized. Then I think you'll make national news.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alan Wake 2: Too Many Kidney Stones

by drmrproductplacement

Carl Jacobs was not peeing out of his dick. He had too many kidney stones.

===MORE UNDER THE BREAK===

They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shinjobi posted:

I will be praying for your wiener, dude.

Everyone please pray for my wiener, it will need all the moral support it can get.

White Coke posted:

My dad used to suffer from kidney stones. According to him the only thing you can really do is take pain medication and drink lots of water. Unless the stones are impacted, then you'll need surgery. And you will be amazed at how tiny they are once you pass them. They are offensively small for something so painful. Unless they really are hail sized. Then I think you'll make national news.

They were big enough that they required ultrasound therapy to break them up into littler bits. Which is just awesome, because it means now I have a bunch of smaller kidney stones! :suicide:

edit: and don't worry, I'm drinking as much water as I can. It's mostly coming back up and into the convenient bucket beside my bed, but it's the thought that counts I guess.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 21, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Take care, Jacobs.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Man, Jade Star continually looking like he got the best LP Curse in the end...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

The LP curse strikes again. God damnit. I guess urine trouble, but don't worry, it'll pass.

Get well, CunningJacobs, just make sure you've got a good doctor.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mr. C "Calculi" Jacobs.

(Get better. At least you get the pleasure of pissing over your enemies as they pass.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ride a roller coaster CJacobs, it's the only way!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you all for the well-wishes.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Get well, CunningJacobs, just make sure you've got a good doctor.

Unfortunately I checked just now and there's no rhino. I was really expecting there to be one!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I'm drinking as much water as I can. It's mostly coming back up and into the convenient bucket beside my bed, but it's the thought that counts I guess.

That's how it goes. If you're not throwing water up you're not drinking enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It also helps keep your skin from breaking open and bleeding all over everything.

• Locked thread