Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Hopefully things go okay from here, Alan Wake will wait till you've recovered, it's already waited for a literal year. (The best kind of year for writers like Alan! :D )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still feel pretty much like crap, but I'm well enough to record and hang out now. Come chill out with me while I play some Bloodborne, followed by LET IT DIE when the update finishes downloading!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CJinkies! It lives!! And it's doing its best Max Payne impression, good gosh. I'm bummed I missed the stream and chance to yell at you for not petting the gross werewolf things puppies, but I am glad to hear you're alive! Not so much the screaming in pain thing though :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

value-brand cereal posted:

CJinkies! It lives!! And it's doing its best Max Payne impression, good gosh. I'm bummed I missed the stream and chance to yell at you for not petting the gross werewolf things puppies, but I am glad to hear you're alive! Not so much the screaming in pain thing though :(

Well, the good news is, the archive just went up so you can yell at me in retrospect instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0zJpzRGCc

Thankfully the pain has mostly gone away, I just feel generally like rear end now. Although the peen pain is quickly approaching so I will probably wish I was dead again real soon!!

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

CJacobs posted:

Well, the good news is, the archive just went up so you can yell at me in retrospect instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0zJpzRGCc

Thankfully the pain has mostly gone away, I just feel generally like rear end now. Although the peen pain is quickly approaching so I will probably wish I was dead again real soon!!

Thank god, twitch is a butt down in argentina, at least I got in long enough to say hi. Now to enjoy my dinner listening to the ragged sounds your throat makes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Oops, I made a mistake and just uploaded the same video twice! Ignore this post for now!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

edit: Oops, I made a mistake and just uploaded the same video twice! Ignore this post for now!

Well at least you've got the stones to admit your mistake.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!

CJacobs posted:

It's okay, Alan's been writing the same schlock for years.

Treuan fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well at least you've got the stones to admit your mistake.

Treuan posted:

It's okay, Alan's been writing the same schlock for years.

:vince:

I accidentally uploaded part 1 again, which is what was in that edited post. Usually Youtube stops you when you try to upload a duplicate file that you've already got on your account, but this time it just didn't, because it's a garbage service with subpar quality! Okay let's try this again!

And, we're back. My kidney stones have passed and I'm glad it's over! I was in terrible pain! Which is why I'm glad it's over, coincidentally!

In this episode, Skippy and I discuss such fascinating topics as taking care of your guinea pig, my role in the latest Mad Max movie, and smuggling Canadian moonshine to toddlers. Also, Alan Wake is there.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

You can see the moving car where you started and it already was damaged.

No invisible walls to save you from falling. I don't know what the experiment was with random walls that prevent you from going into certain places or walls that stop you from moving forward that you can jump over to break through.

Nothing loaded.

Good thing some objects did. Also, the walls physically exist, but it won't block your flashlight.

This is from behind the walls.

The door large enough to fit a mammoth.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't know if it's confirmed or maybe it's obvious, but I like to imagine Alan took a swing at a paparazzi because they talked poo poo about his dear wife.

Awww :( Why come we have to scare Max and the dog's human friend? OH NO MAX. Is the dog ok? Please spoil the entire game so I know the reincarnation of Max Payne is ok. I know I heard barking after Rusty went coo coo for coco puffs, but that was it.

I do like how Alan pulls out his phone. Such a sassy flip. And how powerful his legs are to easily tramp over a huge loving boulder! Good lord you're past Nordic walking! I think the caffeine is allowing him to phase over physical objects.

Eh, I've never read Stephen King. I did watch Rose Red or whatever it's called. I've recently read Codex by Lev Grossman and it's leagues better than Alan's lovely writing, which I have also never read.

I don't know if it's much of a spoiler if you already know the 'quest'. You know you are heading towards the kidnapper, and you know Alan is going to ask about the kidnapping victim.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Nothing loaded.

Wow what a dump. I'd hate to see what the roach infested place looked like! And ha, in the video Dark Rusty was kind of sliding off five feet above the roof.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

value-brand cereal posted:

Awww :( Why come we have to scare Max and the dog's human friend? OH NO MAX. Is the dog ok? Please spoil the entire game so I know the reincarnation of Max Payne is ok. I know I heard barking after Rusty went coo coo for coco puffs, but that was it.

No, no he is not. I didn't notice this until literally today as I watched the video back while waiting for it to upload, but Max is actually in the video after Rusty gets taken by the darkness:

I stepped right over his corpse. :smith:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: Mt. Saint Helen's - It's probably worth remembering that it's also in Washington state, so it's definitely something people from that area would be aware of.

Also, CJacobs, how do you not remember the Eyjafjallajökull eruption? It was in 2010. It repeatedly shut down any air travel in/to/out of Europe for a month. It was kind of a big deal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't keep up on recent volcanic activity okay!! It's just not on my to-do list SHEESH

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The reason Alan wears like five or six layers is because people routinely throw axes at him so he wears that much clothing as a form of body armour; it's what allows him to take several direct hits and still keep running around. The thick skin he developed from years of criticism from his terrible writing allows him to shrug off the axe that strays off towards his face.

I've watched people run through this game multiple times now but it's always fun to see someone else's take on things. I'm glad it's back and that you've mostly recovered from your kidney stones - they honestly scare the poo poo out of me and I'm more paranoid of getting one of them than I am having a heart attack.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Keep drinking lots of water.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

No, no he is not. I didn't notice this until literally today as I watched the video back while waiting for it to upload, but Max is actually in the video after Rusty gets taken by the darkness:

Man, Alan really hates dogs.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CJacobs posted:

NO. MAX. :( I didn't even notice poor Max on the ground, he just blended in. This game does not like dogs. I can only hope the birds and guinea pigs are safe from The Darkness.

Maybe there's a fanfic which solves the issue of Max dying. Something cute and light!

quote:

Go Gentle Into That Good Light by A_M_Kelley
Fandoms: Alan Wake (Video Game)
Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings, Explicit Sexual, Content Mythical Beings & Creatures, Existentialism, Out of Body Experiences, Darkness, Lighthouses, POV First Person , Grace Sex (sorta), idk how to tag this, but basically , Alan has sex with the embodiment of light, Alan fucks light, I Don't Even Know, This Is STUPID, Crack Treated Seriously, Healing Sex, Angelic Grace, Possession (sorta), Pretentious Existential Crap, The Writer DLC,

" In a far off place, I was aware of the presence surrounding me. It wasn't insidious or malicious as I've come to expect, but rather subtle and encompassing. The presence itself felt far away and close all at the same time, but it's aura was calming and unmistakable.

He is my guardian. My angel. My beacon through the darkness.
"

Language: English, Words: 2,104

Uhh.... Nevermind. [That story might have character spoilers? Not sure, but be careful if you go looking for it.]

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The reason Alan wears like five or six layers is because people routinely throw axes at him so he wears that much clothing as a form of body armour; it's what allows him to take several direct hits and still keep running around. The thick skin he developed from years of criticism from his terrible writing allows him to shrug off the axe that strays off towards his face.

I remember in college, we did a musical where one of the girls was an amateur axe thrower. So for a segment where the character had to show off her skills, they would wheel on a target and some of her throwing axes. Literally every show night, she flubbed and bounced the axe off.

So these axes probably really are just bouncing the blunt end off Wake's forehead.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hmm, if my memory is right, they had planned for Taken dogs and wolves but couldn't get the models to work right so they took them out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing I forgot about that's a neat touch is the gun sounds. They're not super realistic or anything, but they got one thing very accurate: most different firearms sound extremely similar. Chances are most people couldn't tell the difference between a shotgun and a .45 pistol going off at the same outdoor range unless they've got a good ear for it. I like that Remedy decided not to do what virtually every developer does and use lovely canned sounds. It actually kinda makes the shotgun feel more powerful when it's that nice BANG instead of some deep bass thud.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
With the tree rings and notable dates, I'd sort of assumed the Mt St Helens reference was something to do with dating major volcanic eruptions via tree rings, but maybe it is just because it's a nearby major event, I dunno.

I've read the Dark Tower books. I think overall they're my favourite Stephen King novels, but then I don't like his work very much, it turns out. :v:

Still. He's a better writer than Alan Wake.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I had upper jaw surgery a few days ago, and I just wanted to say that it is both very painful and probably medically inadvisable for me to laugh as much as I did during the taken voices part of the last episode.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

God loving drat it! I just realized Skippy said 'Ia Ia redwood pthb thagn'. Because it's a redwood named after a lovecraft critter joke :aaa: Oh god that's a great one!!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Right now I'm reading "I Am Providence" by Nick Mamatas. It's about how terrible the Lovecraft fandom is, told through the lens of a murder mystery. One of the two viewpoint characters is the murdered writer, his consciousness trapped in his own rotting flesh even after death.

Will you be playing Alan Wake's American Nightmare ScabrousJacobs?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While this game is almost entirely walking in the woods, at least Remedy knows how to make a drat good oppressively spooky forest.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
If you want to keep fishing but have a problem with hooks in faces you could clamp down the barb with pliers. I mean, it doesn't completely resolve the hooks in faces part but it comes out easier.

CJacobs posted:

If only Max had Alan's 160 layers of improvised body armor, or even Codpiece Jacobs' Black Russian to protect him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mt St. Helens was a pretty big deal in the northwest. I mean, it literally blew off the side of the mountain.

CJacobs posted:

I don't know if it is Max that I'm hearing but I think I hear a dog whining as you go through the hole in the wall.

SirSamVimes posted:

While this game is almost entirely walking in the woods, at least Remedy knows how to make a drat good oppressively spooky forest.

Honestly the only problem I have with the hiking in Alan Wake is just how quickly enemies respawn. There's no time to take in the atmosphere, you just gotta start sprinting toward the next lamp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know if it is Max that I'm hearing but I think I hear a dog whining as you go through the hole in the wall.

I just went and checked myself because it only took a minute or two to get there and yep he's definitely dead! They even let you shoot him if you want! Dammit Alan! :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kibayasu posted:

Mt St. Helens was a pretty big deal in the northwest. I mean, it literally blew off the side of the mountain.

It's the 'most disastrous eruption' in the contiguous United States. Ash from it covered a dozen states, reaching all the way easy to Minnesota with a big clump ending up in Oklahoma. Quite a few provinces in Canada also got ash from it but I don't remember anything more than that from my trip to the observatory lodge there.

Oh yeah, it's also the biggest landslide in recorded history. 3 cubic kilometers of mountain side deposited over a 17 mile stretch of land :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am learning a great deal about volcanoes! Thanks Remedy!

Edit: ok but what mammoth facts have you got for me?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Get this, mammoths were related to elephants.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Also, the giants that herd them are very protective of their mammoths. If you get too close, they'll hit you so hard with their club that you're sent into orbit.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Alan walks the way you run when you have to take a poo poo.

Thanks to Jim Norton for unknowingly letting me steal his joke :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CJacobs posted:

Edit: ok but what mammoth facts have you got for me?

The eruption of Mount. St. Helens caused the extinction of the woolly mammoth - the ecosystem is a fragile web of interconnected factors.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Important mammoth fact:

Mammoths are pretty big, at least compared to most dogs

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
While mammoths agreed with the potential benefits of Nordic walking, they disagreed, on philosophical and moral grounds, about the use of their tusks and bones as an aid to this endeavour. And this is why steel was discovered.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Wooly mammoths are just regular mammoths that aren't constrained by society's restrictive views on bodily hygiene and grooming.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Hey it just occurred to me that Alan's stupid "Mammoth-sized hole" comment was a leftover from a nixed boss fight against the reanimated skeleton of buck-tooth Charlie

Makes more sense in that context, rather than a very dipshitty attempt at levity

Apologies if it was clarified before but my goodness it is hard to read so many volcano facts without just youtubing sick-rear end explosions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

Hey it just occurred to me that Alan's stupid "Mammoth-sized hole" comment was a leftover from a nixed boss fight against the reanimated skeleton of buck-tooth Charlie

Makes more sense in that context, rather than a very dipshitty attempt at levity

Apologies if it was clarified before but my goodness it is hard to read so many volcano facts without just youtubing sick-rear end explosions

Please, this is Remedy. It was both.

• Locked thread