Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you ever go to Los Angeles, and you want to see Buck Tooth Charlie's relatives, the La Brea Tarpits are worth a visit: http://www.tarpits.org/visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
If I remember correctly the last mammoths died out around the same time that the Great Pyramids of Giza were finished.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ponzicar posted:

If you ever go to Los Angeles, and you want to see Buck Tooth Charlie's relatives, the La Brea Tarpits are worth a visit: http://www.tarpits.org/visit.

Ah, yes, The The Tar Pits Tar Pits! I've heard about this place!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 11, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zeniel posted:

If I remember correctly the last mammoths died out around the same time that the Great Pyramids of Giza were finished.

drat your eyes! I was gonna say that.

Mastodon translates to 'nipple-tooth'.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Ah, yes, The The Tar Tar Pits! I've heard about this place!

ftfy. Thank god for Wikipedia, it makes being a pedant so easy.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Alan Wake spoiling his own game is like someone spoiling Dark Souls by saying that at some point you fight a boss, or CoD by saying some levels end with a set piece exploding. Alan never gives enough information. Him writing "in the near future an enemy will have a chainsaw" isn't enough too warrant any opinions of emotions stronger than a mild intrigue.

Anyways, maybe Alan Wake is a bad writer, which means I can write more meandering nonsense. Personally I don't think Alan Wake is supposed to be a "good" writer, and I don't think Remedy intended him to be. However, I think Alan Wake, in the game, appears worse than he is. I love the manuscript pages in their entirety. I like their idea as a collectible, how they give background information and tease the player, and how they play into the larger story. However, I will acknowledge that they don't display the best writing. This shouldn't be an indicator, or at least be a terminal indicator, for Alan Wake being a bad writer. Earlier, I mentioned that Alan's writing has to be filtered through the game's writers. They also pass through the filter of the game, as well. Each manuscript page is a single page, and not even a full one if you type it out in Word. Within that page, the game's writers had to put in a lot of information, or at least a lot of information that you probably don't notice. The game limitations restrict the game's writers, not so much Alan Wake. The game translates a large body of Alan's writing into a quick source for the player. Mediocre and bad writing transforms into bad and horrible writing due to this. When this game first came out, people seemed to be of the opinion that Alan was a bad writer, citing the manuscript pages as an example, but always forgetting that the manuscript pages served multiple roles other than being written by Alan Wake as an in-universe popular author.

Especially with Rose, the game makes footholds for Alan being a bad writer. Rose represents a tasteless fan, whom Alan despises for being a fan. Alan, experiencing a crisis of talent, acknowledges he is not the best. Seeing Rose, a nobody in some nobody town with a nobody job as a waitress at a nobody diner, reinforces in Alan the doubts he has about his writing.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Ah, yes, The The Tar Pits Tar Pits! I've heard about this place!

It's in the tradition of Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

ponzicar posted:

It's in the tradition of Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Or a personal PIN number.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Samovar posted:

Or a personal PIN number.

Or an ATM machine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Or the TTP project.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something Awful poster Fish Noise, who I do enjoy so much: you may be happy to know that The Binding of Isaac finally officially supports modding with lua and stuff. That means that I can finally make that fan art you drew back in the Dead Space 3 thread a reality!

CJacobs posted:

http://puu.sh/teHRo/90c987909c.webm

Having fun with modding. My first order of business is to turn Isaac into Isaac Clarke because someone made fan art of that for my Dead Space 3 let's play like 2 years ago now.

The items I have planned are:
- RIG Helmet (in the webm), gives a soul heart at the start of each floor, I might bump it down to a half soul heart if that's too generous
- RIG Suit, changes the player's tears to a triple shot that fires in a straight line
- Contact Beam, basically a reskin of Krampus' Head except it only fires in one direction

edit: I should note that this was an unholy pain in the rear end and if you want to mod this game you are in for some not very fun times, but it was worth it to see the item ingame and functioning properly. I don't know why the pickup is offset by like 2 pixels though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 8, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Something Awful poster Fish Noise, who I do enjoy so much: you may be happy to know that The Binding of Isaac finally officially supports modding with lua and stuff. That means that I can finally make that fan art you drew back in the Dead Space 3 thread a reality!

I completely forgot about the catheter joke and I'm glad it has not been forgotten.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

:vince:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zeniel posted:

Yeah, a small population of woolly mammoths lived on this Siberian island for a couple millennia until they went extinct around 2000 BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrangel_Island#Flora_and_fauna

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alan has a problem with being maybe a little bit too literal sometimes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
On Writing is probably one of the few King books with a decent ending, right? :iamafag:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Still brilliant.

algebra testes posted:

On Writing is probably one of the few King books with a decent ending, right? :iamafag:

Honestly, I kind of agree that King is "agressively mediocre" as a writer. He's like Michael Crichton without the talent or the ideas. To be fair, as I've gotten older I've gotten a lot more picky and nitpicky.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I think Manual Samuel was the plot of one of the Discworld novels.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Still brilliant.

Honestly, I kind of agree that King is "agressively mediocre" as a writer. He's like Michael Crichton without the talent or the ideas. To be fair, as I've gotten older I've gotten a lot more picky and nitpicky.

It's actually really hard to write horror, now that I think on it. Film is a much better medium for horror, I think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samovar posted:

It's actually really hard to write horror, now that I think on it. Film is a much better medium for horror, I think.

Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, has some pretty good poo poo like Heart-Shaped Box.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, has some pretty good poo poo like Heart-Shaped Box.

NOS4A2 is really good, too. Nice mix of realistic and supernatural horror. Plus, I can't help but think that Hill might have been channeling a bit of his own experience with his dad into it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Birds are the most annoying enemy in the game. You should shoot the ones that linger around the map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Birds are the most annoying enemy in the game. You should shoot the ones that linger around the map.

I agree, and I'm pretty glad they didn't come back for American Nightmare! What they were replaced by, on the other hand...

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I agree, and I'm pretty glad they didn't come back for American Nightmare! What they were replaced by, on the other hand...

I just finished American Nightmare and boy, those flying monster trucks are killer.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know as much poo poo as you (rightfully) give the line about a 'story being a beast with a life of its own', it is kind of important to establish early on why Alan didn't just write, "And then all the bad things died and Alice came home with a briefcase full of money and we all lived happily ever after."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

You know as much poo poo as you (rightfully) give the line about a 'story being a beast with a life of its own', it is kind of important to establish early on why Alan didn't just write, "And then all the bad things died and Alice came home with a briefcase full of money and we all lived happily ever after."

The Dark Presence won't allow itself to lose unless it really believes it should have.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Alan Wake as a video game novelist posted:

Arthur grimaced at his fate, haunted by the demons of his guilty conscience, but also the actual demons, red and grinning menacingly from the blackened skies before him. One of them had landed a blow on him, obliterating his once shining armor. He was now stripped of the protection, of the warmth afforded against the dark evil night, stripped of his dignity... and maybe, just maybe, his humanity. He now shambled forth only in his underpants, decorated with hearts, which in the gloom appeared to him as a snow cone made by a particularly lazy teenager sick of their summer job... no, no, it was more like splatters of blood, uniformly cast against a field of snow as if by ritual... a once pure thing as freshly fallen snow now sullied... his thoughts turned to his dear Princess Prin Prin, and then to that wretched fiend Lucifer who stole her away. He would make the demons pay. He would make them all pay.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
That song at the end is by Poe, one of my favourite artists. She's Mark Z Danielewski's sister and the album Haunted is a companion to House of Leaves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lBF2h-Pl0

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Still love that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szQNIRBV3WU

Hey, I recorded my Summer Games Done Quick submission this morning. You should watch it, it went very well!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Max Payne: A Man With No Frames To Lose

Also I wish this was House of Leaves: The Game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I kinda also wish that.

And hey, by the way, Something Awful user IronSaber. A year ago, you gave me a yearly PS+ subscription code you had lying around so that I could experience the online in Bloodborne, and this next coming month it finally is going to run out. I just wanted to say thank you very much, I got a lot of mileage out of it. It means a lot to me.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Thermy sez:

"alwaayS use PROTEcTION while chaiinSAwing aas WOODCHIPS can FLy into Your EYES"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NiftyBottle posted:

Thermy sez:

"alwaayS use PROTEcTION while chaiinSAwing aas WOODCHIPS can FLy into Your EYES"

FUCKIN YES

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I LOVE YOU THERMY

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That Max Payne run was a pretty good watch. I hope they greenlight it for SGDQ.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I was equal parts bored and inspired.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm doing a 12 hour streaming marathon on my youtube channel! Starting off with Dead Rising, everyone's favorite zombie massacre simulator. Come hang out!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zeniel posted:

I was equal parts bored and inspired.

Eh, I'd rather sit around the house and watch 'Leave it to Beaver'.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CJacobs posted:

I'm doing a 12 hour streaming marathon on my youtube channel! Starting off with Dead Rising, everyone's favorite zombie massacre simulator. Come hang out!

I'm joining the stream several hours late and my first question after the video began streaming was "why is Leon dressed as a 1920's era mobster?". You were then promptly decapitated...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have split the archive on my stream and this is the new URL! come watch me play more videogames for 6h!

• Locked thread