Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Highway posted:

Also, I enjoy the subject of Alan Wake being a good or bad writer. This game's story presents him as both with the player, who will be probably biased based on personal preference, as a final judge. On one hand, I believe the game attempts to portray Alan as a good writer, although not great, but then suffers from a number of genre limitations. One of these, and most ready for discussion after one episode, is that the game writer's are not good writers. (Even though Sam Lake is the easiest name to name, I think the creation of a video game by a full team will have a lot of editing voices). Although the game has a good story overall, as did Max Payne 1 and 2, this does not transfer to the game writers being good writers. Their construction of prose lacks polish. His internal dialog, the most writey part so far, isn't exactly bad, just not good. It mirrors what a lay person would think of good writing, such as girth=quality or complexity=seriousness. These writers rely mostly on stereotypes of good writing, which are formed off a misunderstanding. Essentially, Alan Wake isn't writing as much as he is emulating. He doesn't just emulate Stephen King. He emulates what someone thinks Stephen King must sound like. When Alan must show his chops, the "good" writing is filtered through a bad or an average writer. These writers rely mostly on stereotypes of good writing, which are formed off a misunderstanding. Essentially, Alan Wake isn't writing as much as he is emulating.

I could really go on and on about this subject, but might wind up in spoiler territory.

Well, without spoiling anything, I think this question is really answered in this next episode:

Cut Version Uncut Version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Your own fault for bringing up a very apt comparison. It took me to a... dark place.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is a fantastic loving LP.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of the manuscript pages, after every episode (of Alan Wake, not the LP) I'll be posting its manuscript pages in a separate video before moving onto the next one. Here's the thing about the manuscript pages that you might want to keep in mind, though: They frequently spoil upcoming events, sometimes in a clever way, sometimes in a "here is what's going to happen in episode 2 of alan wake" way. It's up to you to decide if you're okay with that or not, and if not, maybe skip watching these until the LP is finished.

Oh god. That is some proper schlock horror writing. Now all he needs is an uninspired boring love story and creatures that sparkle when exposed to light and... oh. Right.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

Hi! I'm in the hospital with hail stone sized kidney stones so there won't be any updates for a while. This sucks!

The LP curse strikes again. God damnit. I guess urine trouble, but don't worry, it'll pass.

Get well, CunningJacobs, just make sure you've got a good doctor.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

edit: Oops, I made a mistake and just uploaded the same video twice! Ignore this post for now!

Well at least you've got the stones to admit your mistake.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Still brilliant.

algebra testes posted:

On Writing is probably one of the few King books with a decent ending, right? :iamafag:

Honestly, I kind of agree that King is "agressively mediocre" as a writer. He's like Michael Crichton without the talent or the ideas. To be fair, as I've gotten older I've gotten a lot more picky and nitpicky.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

"My mid-life crisis hit me harder than I thought it would."

Next episode is rendering now, will probably be up tomorrow sometime. Terror! Excitement! Watch Alan and Barry slowly trundle after a man with a limp while he expounds about the glorious Skyboat! Expect the manuscript pages for this past episode too!

It'll be nice to have something with less terribly written horror speeches and indescribable darkness than the inauguration to watch, at least.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

appropos of nothing

https://twitter.com/alanwakenbake

holy poo poo it actually is already taken

@TheRealAlanWake

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Skippy Granola posted:

I'm being savaged in fiction!

Best avatar/post combo ever.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwJvDBs_Jz0

I played through the entirety of Resident Evil 7 tonight in one sitting! It was super duper fun! If you don't plan on buying the game or don't mind spoilers, you should watch it, I had a great time and the chat was great too. Maybe don't watch it in one sitting because it's 8 hours long.

Just throwing it out there that this was a really fun watch, the game lends itself excellently to LP-ing and your commentary is funny and entertaining throughout. A+

I especially enjoyed the part around 2:55 when you freaked out about the spiders and started discharging the shotgun uncontrollably into nothing and had to pause the game, that just cracked me the hell up. Made me kinda wish you'd played it in VR.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

Now I'm wondering what would happen if Alan- the trapped in the darkness writing this game Alan -wrote a story in which he is writing himself on the next 'layer' up. Like, what if he wrote a story wherein he is dictating what he is currently writing in the real world? What are the limitations of the darkness' reality bending powers? Could he sacrifice himself to trap it forever by way of infinite recursion??

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
We should pass along some kidney stone jokes to keep CJacobs entertained while he on the rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

• Locked thread