Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The idea of a self-spoiling game is pretty interesting. Are there any documents or talks by the writers on their artistic choices?

Thanks Jacobs and Skippy, you're giving this game the LP it deserves. It's really great to see what happens when the game's writing and design are joined together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
My hypothesis would be they want to the player to be conscious of the fact they are the player, and not really part of the universe. I think the most obvious nod to this fact is Night Springs, but in general this game seems to revel in reminding you it's a game. It wants you to critically consume it and not lose yourself in it. I agree they should have gone whole hog and had Alan be consciously aware of the fact he's in a game. Really embrace the Hideo Kojima inside themselves.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

CJacobs posted:

Slightly less so, but still one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Although... thinking about it... what if....

Honestly, I'd go farther and say it changed what it means to make TV. It raised the bar in a way that wasn't immediately obvious, but now every big name TV show feels a bit like a distant Twin Peaks homage.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I can rant about the symbolism and talk about David Lynch's filming methods!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

CJacobs posted:

It is a bit of an unfair question, I'll admit. And god dammit, Kyle Maclachlan's chin.

Kyle Machlanlan actually lives below the Antarctic ice sheets, his chin is an evolutionary adaptation to puncture it to produce breathing holes.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

My girlfriend, who has only seen the first episode when I had her watch this with me says that she thinks that Audrey Horne killed Laura Palmer.

Having seen the whole show myself I am abstaining from speculation.

Well isn't that just dreamy.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Kibayasu posted:

I really wished the game had you fight the harvester in the middle of a grown corn/wheat field that it gradually cleared out.

Oh wait, no, marijuana field, this is the Anderson farm after all.

Alan Wake's Reefer Madness.

It ends up playing out like that mission in Far Cry 3.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 18, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Johnny Joestar posted:

one of the things i liked about alan wake is that you can tell the devs definitely had fun with the game when they made stuff like the night springs episodes. not everyone would go through the effort of making goofy little live-action fake tv shows in their game

Yeah, Alan Wake is a real labor of love. It shows in a million little ways, and they all come together to make a narrative that feels really comfortable with itself. I think my favorite little moment so far was Barry unloading on Alan. In general Barry is a character who could have really been awful, there's a real balance in his execution you don't often see in video games.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Wow, this game does look really good. The comparison to Monster Hunter is apt because the animations look and feel about the same length as MHs.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

CJacobs posted:

I start complaining if it gets to be above like 75 degrees. I'm kind of like Alan in that way, I assume. NEW YORKERS

Same but 65. Warmth is the enemy of life.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Shei-kun posted:

Alan, I know you're in Washington, but that doesn't mean you have to toke that much :350:

Actually you do, it's the law.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

bman in 2288 posted:

Erotic fanfiction?

Voyeurism?

Whatever it implied, it's also a fact that I probably missed a good stream.

Turns out Quantum Break is an excellent game (and TV show, apparently) except for the fact everyone has a face made of wet clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Oh and there's a TED Talk as a collectable. That made me groan.

• Locked thread