Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

value-brand cereal posted:

....is that a loving QR code in Alan's office where he was looking at the book cover mock ups.

There are QR codes all over the place in this game. I have no idea what they link to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Based on the state of Hartman's nose, it seems Al is the one with the hand cannon this time around.

Have you seen the way Alan kicks doors and stuff apart? He uses a gun in this game to give the monsters a fighting chance.

Also Barry is totally the best character in this game and only gets better with time.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

No, no he is not. I didn't notice this until literally today as I watched the video back while waiting for it to upload, but Max is actually in the video after Rusty gets taken by the darkness:

I stepped right over his corpse. :smith:

Man, Alan really hates dogs.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know as much poo poo as you (rightfully) give the line about a 'story being a beast with a life of its own', it is kind of important to establish early on why Alan didn't just write, "And then all the bad things died and Alice came home with a briefcase full of money and we all lived happily ever after."

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Or it's possible that Nightingale is just an rear end in a top hat who calls Alan Wake by the name of whatever other famous author comes to mind to show his disdain for the 'famous writer' in general.

I wonder what crime Alan is being investigated for that brought the FBI in. The murder of his wife? That isn't a federal crime unless it crossed state lines.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Now I'm wondering what would happen if Alan- the trapped in the darkness writing this game Alan -wrote a story in which he is writing himself on the next 'layer' up. Like, what if he wrote a story wherein he is dictating what he is currently writing in the real world? What are the limitations of the darkness' reality bending powers? Could he sacrifice himself to trap it forever by way of infinite recursion??

The problem with that is that he's not just trying to stop the Darkness, he's trying to do so in a way that saves Alice. If all he cared about was the Darkness there would probably be easier ways to deal with it, but doing so and getting Alice out safely requires a very specific kind of story.

At least that's the impression I get.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I agree the pages in episode 3 aren't well chosen. I can't blame them too harshly for that, though. Game design is a long, hectic process and I'm sure the story went though several iterations before the final product. There was probably a point in development where getting those pages at this point made more sense. Given how delicate the balance is when you're explicitly telling the player events that'll happen in the future, I can understand the occasional hiccup.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So everybody loves this part of the game for the stage fight, which is awesome. However, I also think this is the best written part of the game from the meta-narrative standpoint. Now, that's a really wanky term, but it's an important one in Alan Wake.

Whenever I explain this game to someone, I always tell them Alan Wake is about two authors arguing over what the genre of the story is going to be. There's a lot going on during the time Alan is actually writing the story, and you get bits of it from the television flashbacks, but a lot of it you only really get if you watch how the story unfolds.

Basically the game starts off straight horror. You're powerless, hunted by shadowy figures you don't understand, with no idea what's going on or why. Even if it made sense in the plot, something like that fight on the stage wouldn't have fit in the earlier parts of the game just because it would have been such a shift in tone.

But as was pointed out in the last television bit, Alan decided to steadily push the genre out of horror and towards action, where the darkness could be defeated. In the last couple chapters, he discovered the actual enemy was this 'dark presence' all along, talked to the Old Gods who gave him a goal for how he might learn how to beat it, and killed off the distractions so the plot could focus entirely on the main villain.

What I really like about that though, is that this shift coincided with his second dunk in the lake. The story really started the first time he jumped into the lake to try and save Alice. Then the shift away from horror and towards action started after he fell into the lake again, but this second time he was carrying a flare. (which a story page noted could burn underwater)

Anyway, I always thought that was a really neat angle in the game that's never really directly touched on.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

White Coke posted:

I wonder how much effect Alan had in defining the Dark Presence in addition to empowering it. It needs to work through people, whether it's by possessing people or more abstractly by making Alan's story come true, so maybe Alan or someone else could be beat it by recreating that episode of Futurama where Fry beat the Brainspawn by trapping them in a prison of "plot holes and spelling errors".

I was thinking about who gave it what powers. I think Zane is responsible for the Taken and for the Dark Presence in general. This shadowy existence that lurks inside of people, puppeting them in this twisted pantomime of their former life seems like something a poet would create.

Alan is definitely responsible for the poltergeists. He says as much when he talks about the objects coming to life as being like right out of a Steven King novel.

The crows were probably from the Old Gods. There are some lines in Children of the Elder Gods that mention them, I think.

EDIT: Also, I really want a prequel to this game where you play as the Old Gods during their fight with the dark presence. Playing at Tor fighting off waves of Taken with an electrified hammer while Odin shreds on an electric guitar behind you.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 8, 2017

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I have spent a lot of time talking with friends who have played this game about whether Alan wrote Zane, Zane wrote Alan, or the entire plot exists in a paradox where they both created each other. I personally like the idea that their existence is a paradox. You know time doesn't flow normally with the darkness and things that are created can effect the past and future, so it's entirely possible that both of them were created by the other writing them into existence.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

I wanna say that the poem is the Darkness trying to write itself into existence and keep itself from being fully... erased? Deleted? The whole 'it's not a lake' thing is just Alan himself writing in a continuation because he's an author and needs a steady paycheck.

I always assumed that the poem was the first one Zane wrote about the Darkness. The first time Zane's words shaped the darkness, and thus, the beginning of Zane's story. So, for whatever reason, Zane felt it was important that Alan's story also begin with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

I was thinking about it, and you know what? It's kinda nice Alan tried to write that Barry and Sarah the Sheriff might end up together, romantically or friendshiply. Thanks Alan, for looking out for the most important character: Barry.

Yeah, I also appreciate that it was only left as possibility and didn't actually happen, to avoid the whole uncomfortable 'You two will fall in love because I WROTE IT IN THIS STORY!' vibe.

• Locked thread