Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all i can say is that for some reason or another i've always enjoyed alan wake. it kind of perfectly nails that whole sorta corny stephen king book angle and alan is just seriously the biggest dickhead for multiple reasons. also the gameplay felt pretty alright for what it was? it's a solid setpiece-driven action game if nothing else. i definitely wish that there was an actual sequel, because american nightmare has better gameplay but sucks in pretty much most every other way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of games like alan wake tend to have the point where the player shifts into a position of being able to reliably fight back against whatever they're against, but, very few of them have such a focus on the literal 'story' bit of it all so it really sticks out in this game. especially if you're reading all the pages that you find.

also barry is really good and the stage fight is a great place for that to show. he also keeps being great all through the dlcs for various reasons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they represent the many shattered pieces of alan wake's self worth, causing him to lash out at those around him

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

now i wish i wasn't at work right now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one of the things i liked about alan wake is that you can tell the devs definitely had fun with the game when they made stuff like the night springs episodes. not everyone would go through the effort of making goofy little live-action fake tv shows in their game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the writing stays pretty good even throughout the dlc chapters as well, which is nice. i'm looking forward to those for varying reasons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's already been said but the alan wake games are well worth the incredibly low price they're being sold for

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what you're supposed to do is take that inevitable wadded up ball of christmas lights that's shoved into the attic and use it like a flail

also barry is really good. i've said it before and i'll say it again. if he was just some generic rear end in a top hat agent guy he probably would have been killed off like 2-3 videos ago as it is

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

biosterous posted:

Looking forward to the DLC - I remember at least one of them being pretty neat.

they're both pretty good in their own ways. i haven't played either in a while but i have some good memories

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ALAN

ALAN PLEASE LISTEN TO MY POETRY

I WORKED VERY HARD ON IT AND HAD TO WRITE IT INTO OBSCURITY

ALAN?

ALAN PLEASE DON'T WALK AWAY, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the lack of an actual sequel is kind of sad, because the gameplay improvements in american nightmare are really good and would have made for a fun game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it always kind of amuses me that i guess the ad licensing ran out for the alan wake dlc so you have NEW ads in the form of, say, a magical verizon phone but the batteries are no longer energizer brand and are now generic-looking bricks of d-cells

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also as an extra note, imaginary barry is one of the best things about the dlcs since that's the point where the game decides it's actually going to start calling out alan for being a giant dickhead. it's magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the final dlc for alan wake probably has the highest concentration of setpieces i enjoy in the entire game. there's a few that haven't even happened yet and they happen to be some of my actual favorites. you can tell that remedy just absolutely stopped caring about trying to have things make relative sense and went with making a bunch of fun areas for the player to go through all while having it more or less work given the story.

• Locked thread