Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Update: The Writer, Part 2 - Leave a Light On (09/05)
Latest Supplemental Material: (03/31)

Alan Wake is a third person survival horror/thriller developed by Remedy Entertainment, the brilliant minds behind the Max Payne series. It was released in late May 2010 for Xbox 360, and mid-February 2012 for PC.

The story- well, at least, at first -follows best-selling novelist Alan Wake as he tries to uncover the mystery behind his wife's disappearance during a vacation in the small rural town of Twin Peaks, I Mean Bright Falls, Washington, all while experiencing events from the plot of his latest novel coming to life. The game is structured similarly to a television series, with episodes that contain plot twists and cliffhangers and even a "previously on" recap at the start of each. Having played Hotline Miami 2 recently OVER A YEAR AGO WHEN THIS LP WAS FIRST CONCEPTUALIZED gently caress, I decided to structure the OP to match. There are also two DLC episodes that extend the game's ending which I will be doing after the main LP concludes.

Alan Wake is a fantastic game that does quite a few things that many video games are scared of. The story is perfectly willing to sit back and let you interpret it how you want, and the open-endedness of it all makes room for a lot of questions and speculative answers. The gameplay is varied enough to be fun, the setpieces are varied enough to stay fresh, and the graphics are just plain great. What's not to love?

As always, there will be two versions of every video: One with cut commentary so you don't have to hear me and my buddy Skippy Granola blabbing over Alan, and one with uncut commentary that is pretty self-explanatory. Keep in mind when choosing which one to watch that Alan Wake is at times a walking-through-the-woods-in-the-dark simulator and there are extended periods where Alan has nothing to say, so let that affect your decision accordingly.

Please don't. As a horror/thriller game with a plot twistier than a pretzel made out of klein bottles, it thrives almost entirely on being presented as-is. If I haven't talked about it or it hasn't shown up in the videos yet, please don't talk about it. Yes, technical wink-and-nod spoilers do count. I know the game's been out for like five years but for the sake of the thread readers don't just go CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MONSTER TRUCK RALLY BOSS FIGHT IN THE SECOND DLC or something.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FINALLY. It feels like Alan has been planning this vacation for years!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 18, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

biosterous posted:

This isn't Alan Wake

poo poo what joke do i do from now on

This is in fact Alan Wake! I checked to make sure and everything!

Blind Sally posted:

Woo! Been waiting for this one for a while.

Me too! I am pumped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hell yeah! This is my poo poo right here!

Cakefarts Carol posted:

CJacobs, one of the things I liked about your previous LPs is that you've a good idea of when to provide commentary and when to let the game do its thing. There's been a lot of commentary (by virtue of two commentators) in the first "cut commentary" episode of Alan Wake, which takes away from the heavyhanded and cliched but seemingly integral narrative of the game. I'm probably not part of the core audience for this LP, since I've never played the game, want to, but lack a means to do so - it's difficult to pay attention to the dialogue in game versus you and Skippy's commentary. It's not so challenging when it's just Alan being a dick to everyone, but the more colorful characters had some interesting scenes the commentary detracts a little from.

That all said I'm still on board, good show otherwise.

Yeah, I get what you mean. For the cut commentary version I just, uh, cut the commentary out of only the actual cutscene-cutscenes. I'll make sure to cut it or otherwise edit around the general dialogue too in the future.

White Coke posted:

Is there really a MONSTER TRUCK RALLY BOSS FIGHT? If so then I've got to finish playing the game.

:iiam:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cakefarts Carol posted:

CJacobs, one of the things I liked about your previous LPs is that you've a good idea of when to provide commentary and when to let the game do its thing. There's been a lot of commentary (by virtue of two commentators) in the first "cut commentary" episode of Alan Wake, which takes away from the heavyhanded and cliched but seemingly integral narrative of the game. I'm probably not part of the core audience for this LP, since I've never played the game, want to, but lack a means to do so - it's difficult to pay attention to the dialogue in game versus you and Skippy's commentary. It's not so challenging when it's just Alan being a dick to everyone, but the more colorful characters had some interesting scenes the commentary detracts a little from.

That all said I'm still on board, good show otherwise.

Quoting this again to say that I have recut and re-uploaded the cut commentary version of the first episode. It now has much less talking over the characters. In later episodes of the LP (and episodes of Alan Wake) this will not be as much of a problem because it's mostly Alan by himself, but the game's introduction and other parts where you're just walkin' around Bright Falls are pretty full of dialogue for us to jabber over. So I have rectified the issue by cutting/changing some of the commentary to not be in the way of the game anymore. :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stormgale posted:

This is why you are a cool dude, unlike Alan Wake who is both uncool and kinda a Jerk (but interesting).

Thanks. It's all in the name of quality. :)

By the way, here's the overhead shot of the island that Kibayasu mentioned. Alan even has a blurb to say about the island and the lake being on top of a volcano :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bright Falls is in Washington. Also, holy crap, that's terrifying!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Apep727 posted:

Also, I really want to see some of those extracts or whatever of his writing.

As I mentioned in the video, The Alan Wake Files contains some of Alan Wake's actual in-universe writing. There's a full short story, and an excerpt from one of his novels. You can look it up to read it all right now if you want, but I'll be drip-feeding it as we go on. To start us off, here is the beginning of Alan's career as a published author!

Clay Steward's Description posted:

Alan Wake’s first published story, “Errand Boy,” a long out-of-print horror tale, was written when Wake was only eighteen, and previously available only in dog-eared copies of Dark Visions magazine. Clearly, Wake was concerned with the same battle between good and evil that he would explore in his more popular crime fiction.

Errand Boy, Excerpt One posted:

Rereading this one, Alan's overuse of commas is fuckin killing me here holy crap. There are seven commas in the fourth sentence of the drat thing.

I'll post the rest in a couple episodes' time. I also plan on transcribing these to text at some point for people browsing on mobile.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 4, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alan's character design is just weird. The game doesn't make any real mentions of how it's cold, or anything like that. It does take place in September I believe, but that's not 2-jackets-and-3-t-shirts levels of cold. It's not even that cold yet right now where I live!

It actually used to be even worse. In the beta, Alan was wearing 2 jackets, a sweater, and a scarf!

Mr. Highway posted:

I love Alan Wake in a weird way. My favorite part of this game is probably accidental in the production of it. I'll concede that some of the gameplay gets samey (like CJacobs said, Nightmare difficulty is a slog), though that never really bothered me. I enjoyed the story, setting, and the writing (as part of the atmosphere). However, this game has an interesting subtext that people tend to overlook either because of it being called a horror game but not being all that scary, or being a third person shooter.

Also, I enjoy the subject of Alan Wake being a good or bad writer. This game's story presents him as both with the player, who will be probably biased based on personal preference, as a final judge. On one hand, I believe the game attempts to portray Alan as a good writer, although not great, but then suffers from a number of genre limitations. One of these, and most ready for discussion after one episode, is that the game writer's are not good writers. (Even though Sam Lake is the easiest name to name, I think the creation of a video game by a full team will have a lot of editing voices). Although the game has a good story overall, as did Max Payne 1 and 2, this does not transfer to the game writers being good writers. Their construction of prose lacks polish. His internal dialog, the most writey part so far, isn't exactly bad, just not good. It mirrors what a lay person would think of good writing, such as girth=quality or complexity=seriousness. These writers rely mostly on stereotypes of good writing, which are formed off a misunderstanding. Essentially, Alan Wake isn't writing as much as he is emulating. He doesn't just emulate Stephen King. He emulates what someone thinks Stephen King must sound like. When Alan must show his chops, the "good" writing is filtered through a bad or an average writer. These writers rely mostly on stereotypes of good writing, which are formed off a misunderstanding. Essentially, Alan Wake isn't writing as much as he is emulating.

I could really go on and on about this subject, but might wind up in spoiler territory.

I get what you mean, yeah. I think this game's plot is awesome, but their attempts to make Alan sound like an artsy poseur kinda just come across as the game's writers writing like artsy poseurs. Skippy and I have a chat about what "bad writing emulating good writing" sounds like in a future episode.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 5, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

They did some neat live action stuff with Ilkka that I don't want to post yet for risk of spoiling the game.

Also god he's SO HANDSOME. How can someone be this handsome???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skippy Granola posted:

Ah put it away his handsomeness is taking the focus from this excellent LP

I think it's the eyes. He's got these pretty blue eyes that really just draw your attention. Demand it, even!

Uh I mean, boy that Alan Wake! His face sure is doughy and his lip-sync sure is crappy. Actually the terrible lip-sync was something this game caught a loooot of flak over when it came out, and I don't blame the criticizers for it because boy does it really screw up the mood!

edit: By the way, I added a link in the table of contents to the in-universe writing and stuff, and also fixed having the same banner in there twice (whoops).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pre-order now to get ALAN WAKE'S ICONIC TWEED™

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, without spoiling anything, I think this question is really answered in this next episode:

Cut Version Uncut Version

:golfclap:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This Alan Awake character seems like a bit of a prat.

It's the part where he storms out into the dark to get away from his wife who is afraid of the dark that gets me every time. :allears:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 6, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hostile V posted:

Yeah Alan was a bit too abrasive for my tastes. I really identified with the protagonist of the sequel game that my aunt bought from the supermarket.

:eyepop: Yes, tovarich! Very good!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just a heads up, it might be a bit longer than usual till the next update comes, sorry about that. It's finals week!

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/806549284258775043

And all my editing time is being spent working on my video production course final.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

I can't see any body hair. I hope you don't freeze to death CJacobs.

Don't worry, the next shot is me grabbing my insulated comfy sweatpants! (edit: well actually the next shot is my pants flying from stage left to right into the hamper but you don't wanna see that)

http://puu.sh/sI68y/4d426e82fa.webm

Fish Noise posted:

Comrade, please! We have noticed you, this is not necessary!

To quote Skippy Granola from our earlier conversation about the tweet:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 8, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's time to get outside for a breath of fresh air, take in the sights and sounds of the night, kill a dog with an axe. All those things us city folk just aren't used to.

edit: by the way, I mention in the video that Alan Wake is 5 years old, because at the time it was. We recorded the commentary for the first episode of the game a literal year ago. My god.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 12, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

Have you been recording commentary for a whole year or is there a backlog and you're doing fresh stuff now?

The latter. This LP was supposed to start right after Dead Space 3, so I recorded the game and edited all the footage and Skippy and I recorded commentary for the first episode!

...And then I got sidetracked with a bunch of other LPs, so it got put in cold storage until just a month ago when we finally recorded Alan Wake's Episode 2. Believe me, there are a bevvy of jokes about it in store. :v:

AbstractNapper posted:

In that last cutscene, the sheriff's expression is so well done (it doesn't quite fit the context, but it looks great), and then you get Alan Wake's inexplicably and (consistently) bad facial animation. Was this an inside joke for the team or something?

I have no idea. Alan and Alice have the worst facial animations of anybody in the whole game and I just don't get it.

This is a fantastic loving LP.

Thank you, that makes me feel good :unsmith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

I've been ribbing him for a while now that this LP was so long in coming that it was originally supposed to be me and Blind Sally along with him instead of Skippy :v:

It probably was! I didn't know Skippy when I first decided to do Alan Wake! I just have a habit of attracting handsome Canadians I guess.

IronSaber posted:

CJacobs, I swear if you don't make a Liam Neeson joke by the end of this LP, I am gonna be, like, so disappointed.

Oh don't you worry, there's plenty of time left for this gag to run its course.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the manuscript pages, after every episode (of Alan Wake, not the LP) I'll be posting its manuscript pages in a separate video before moving onto the next one. Here's the thing about the manuscript pages that you might want to keep in mind, though: They frequently spoil upcoming events, sometimes in a clever way, sometimes in a "here is what's going to happen in episode 2 of alan wake" way. It's up to you to decide if you're okay with that or not, and if not, maybe skip watching these until the LP is finished.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have heard that Quantum Break is... not so good. Serviceable as a shooter, at least! But I haven't played it so I can't say for sure.

Skippy Granola posted:

Sam was more creative this time: Quentin Break

This is why I pay you the big bucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey C-Jakes, how did you change Roy Orbison to avoid copyright shenanigans? He sounded remarkably similar.

All I had to do was pitch shift it down one semitone and I guess that + us yammering over it was enough! I'm sure for future songs it won't be so easy.

edit: Hey, by the way, I'm gonna try streaming just about every night at around 6 pm cst! So keep an eye on the Let's Stream thread if you wanna watch me fumble my way through Max Payne 3 at high velocity live. I will mostly be doing Max Payne 3 speedruns but I'll probably play other stuff too sometimes when I get sick of that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 14, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eating only apples posted:

I recall episode 2's ending song being the best one and now I gotta listen to it tyvm. Bah dah bah-bah

Oh yeah! I need to make a table of contents header for the licensed songs because there's tons of them in the game and they're great, just like I did with Spec Ops! What a good reminder.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I wonder if getting punched by Alan's dainty writer hands actually hurts. Maybe it's like getting hit angrily with a very lumpy pillow. Yeah it hurts and all, but it's still a pillow.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 19, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No no, Denny's! Delicious down-home country breakfast!

It's cheap! But also tasty.

value-brand cereal posted:

Also, Skippy had a good point about how creepy Stucky is. Either the person infected by the darkness is trying to break through, or the darkness is trying to make constructs that look and act like normal people but just can't get it right. Or maybe I'm giving the writers of this game too much credit.

I think the creepiest part is that according to the game itself, people that are taken by the darkness can't be saved. They're just stuck being half-human or formerly-human dark creatures from hell until someone like your young enterprising writer pal puts them out of their misery.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 19, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, sorry for this episode being mostly cutscenes/dialogue for us to jabber over. This episode and episode 4 really frontload all the cutscenes and stuff. In general Alan Wake goes half-hour of cutscenes and exposition, followed by an hour-ish of nordic walking. Parts 2 and 3 of this ep are gonna be full of uninterrupted woods-walking, don't you worry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yet another Barry who is the best character in his respective series!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

If only this Barry also pulled out an enormous hand cannon.

Based on the state of Hartman's nose, it seems Al is the one with the hand cannon this time around.

AbstractNapper posted:

There are a few of those QR codes in the PC version (not too many, I can only think of just two in the entire game). They are easter eggs or sort-of inside jokes.

That's cool! I didn't have a phone capable of reading QR codes until my latest one a short few years ago, so I always wondered what those said/did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jade Star posted:

I remember watching a bit of this game sometime before and I never recalled Alan being such a dick. Probably just bad memory, but it really sank in when Rose was at the cabin talking so highly of him and the look on Alans face couldn't be more 'are we done yet'? Man, what a dick.

http://i.imgur.com/YmC69cp.gifv

our hero

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I definitely recommend reading the Alan Wake novel as well. It mostly follows the game faithfully, but it expands on Alan's history with his wife and his general state of mind at the time. It also establishes why he takes to guns so easily: he went shooting a bunch of times to do research for his Alex Casey novels.

According to his official Alan Wake Wiki page, Remedy intentionally chose to make Alan a dick because they felt that it made him a more realistic and relatable protagonist. He didn't have a top notch childhood and isn't able to handle his fame, so he tends to lash out at paparazzi and overbearing fans. And as the beginning of the game emphasizes, Alan has been under a lot of stress from writer's block. He's already twitchy when he arrives and all of this craziness isn't doing much good for his attitude.

That is true! Alan is a jerk, but he's a jerk under pressure. And to be fair, if I was fighting the forces of Darkness, I probably would be in a bad mood too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi! I'm in the hospital with hail stone sized kidney stones so there won't be any updates for a while. This sucks!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately it was basically inevitable, it runs in my family on both sides. It was predestined, almost as if someone wrote my life to be this way!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shinjobi posted:

I will be praying for your wiener, dude.

Everyone please pray for my wiener, it will need all the moral support it can get.

White Coke posted:

My dad used to suffer from kidney stones. According to him the only thing you can really do is take pain medication and drink lots of water. Unless the stones are impacted, then you'll need surgery. And you will be amazed at how tiny they are once you pass them. They are offensively small for something so painful. Unless they really are hail sized. Then I think you'll make national news.

They were big enough that they required ultrasound therapy to break them up into littler bits. Which is just awesome, because it means now I have a bunch of smaller kidney stones! :suicide:

edit: and don't worry, I'm drinking as much water as I can. It's mostly coming back up and into the convenient bucket beside my bed, but it's the thought that counts I guess.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 21, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you all for the well-wishes.

Get well, CunningJacobs, just make sure you've got a good doctor.

Unfortunately I checked just now and there's no rhino. I was really expecting there to be one!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still feel pretty much like crap, but I'm well enough to record and hang out now. Come chill out with me while I play some Bloodborne, followed by LET IT DIE when the update finishes downloading!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJinkies! It lives!! And it's doing its best Max Payne impression, good gosh. I'm bummed I missed the stream and chance to yell at you for not petting the gross werewolf things puppies, but I am glad to hear you're alive! Not so much the screaming in pain thing though :(

Well, the good news is, the archive just went up so you can yell at me in retrospect instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0zJpzRGCc

Thankfully the pain has mostly gone away, I just feel generally like rear end now. Although the peen pain is quickly approaching so I will probably wish I was dead again real soon!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Oops, I made a mistake and just uploaded the same video twice! Ignore this post for now!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well at least you've got the stones to admit your mistake.

Treuan posted:

It's okay, Alan's been writing the same schlock for years.

:vince:

I accidentally uploaded part 1 again, which is what was in that edited post. Usually Youtube stops you when you try to upload a duplicate file that you've already got on your account, but this time it just didn't, because it's a garbage service with subpar quality! Okay let's try this again!

And, we're back. My kidney stones have passed and I'm glad it's over! I was in terrible pain! Which is why I'm glad it's over, coincidentally!

In this episode, Skippy and I discuss such fascinating topics as taking care of your guinea pig, my role in the latest Mad Max movie, and smuggling Canadian moonshine to toddlers. Also, Alan Wake is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Awww :( Why come we have to scare Max and the dog's human friend? OH NO MAX. Is the dog ok? Please spoil the entire game so I know the reincarnation of Max Payne is ok. I know I heard barking after Rusty went coo coo for coco puffs, but that was it.

No, no he is not. I didn't notice this until literally today as I watched the video back while waiting for it to upload, but Max is actually in the video after Rusty gets taken by the darkness:

I stepped right over his corpse. :smith:

• Locked thread