Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

CJacobs posted:

Also god he's SO HANDSOME. How can someone be this handsome???

Ah put it away his handsomeness is taking the focus from this excellent LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Damnit Cjacobs we should have called the thread "Blood, blood and bits of sick"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

algebra testes posted:

The biggest mystery of this Let's Play so far is that I already am subscribed to Skippy Granola's youtube channel and I can't for the life of me work out why.

Not in an existential "Nothing he has done is of worth" way, but a "I must have been following a let's play of his and I can't remember which one" way.

I'm just happy to have re-earned your subscription. Thank you Alan Wake

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Have you been recording commentary for a whole year or is there a backlog and you're doing fresh stuff now?

I only ever get service on my Verizon phone once per year

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

An LP so long in coming it originally co-starred Maxwell Adams

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

Oh, right; they did put out another game. It had something to do with time travel/manipulation, didn't it? What was it called?

Hmm, let's see; they had Max Payne, then Alan Wake, so... "Tim Travell"?

Sam was more creative this time: Quentin Break

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

When Skippy said 'this episode is sponsored by Danny's' I was expecting Danny Diesel :saddowns:

Danny Diesel says "Why Nordic walk when you can chooch?"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Shoulda used the clicker, bud.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hey it just occurred to me that Alan's stupid "Mammoth-sized hole" comment was a leftover from a nixed boss fight against the reanimated skeleton of buck-tooth Charlie

Makes more sense in that context, rather than a very dipshitty attempt at levity

Apologies if it was clarified before but my goodness it is hard to read so many volcano facts without just youtubing sick-rear end explosions

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Max Payne: A Man With No Frames To Lose

Also I wish this was House of Leaves: The Game.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I LOVE YOU THERMY

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

White Coke posted:

Then why have I been waking up, my hands covered in blood?

Did you misread the message as "Follow Satan's Grandkids on twitch"? Because I get a lot of folks in my chat saying "Who shall we slay, dark lord? Kappa Biblethump"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Neophyte posted:

O Holy Skyboat!
Doing pinnace for our sins!

In the name of the schooner, the tub and the Holy boat, amen

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I'm being savaged in fiction!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Highway posted:

I'm either surprised or disappointed in the lack of a "the car honked it's own horn" reference.

The battle with inanimate objects is so silly yet also so great. On one hand you are fitting pipes and junk that randomly launch toward Alan or a bulldozer that lightly brushes against Alan. On the other it provides the player with another enemy type and continues this self-deprecating self-awareness about Alan Wake and Stephen King. Stephen King making a monster out of some random object is an somewhat inaccurate caricature (e.g. early Family Guy had that joke about King writing a book about a killer lamp). The caricature is not entirely wrong and, as such, has worked its way into the shared view of who King is to the point where if you were to ask someone who had never read a King story or book to describe a King story or book, this person would probably talk about a killer lamp.

When in fact all his books are about loving aliens.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I feel like there is a lot to unpack in this

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I can talk about how I actually don't really like David Lynch that much! :ssh:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

In a way didn't we all kill Laura Palmer?

Dang nice writeup man. You're a fine media critic and I'm looking forward to the next.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

White Coke posted:

Nightingale is in Bright Falls to save the world from the evils of Alan Wake. How can Cooper or York compare to that?

"Okay, put the flashlight down, David Lynch"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hello new avatar!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

So everybody loves this part of the game for the stage fight, which is awesome. However, I also think this is the best written part of the game from the meta-narrative standpoint. Now, that's a really wanky term, but it's an important one in Alan Wake.

Whenever I explain this game to someone, I always tell them Alan Wake is about two authors arguing over what the genre of the story is going to be. There's a lot going on during the time Alan is actually writing the story, and you get bits of it from the television flashbacks, but a lot of it you only really get if you watch how the story unfolds.

Basically the game starts off straight horror. You're powerless, hunted by shadowy figures you don't understand, with no idea what's going on or why. Even if it made sense in the plot, something like that fight on the stage wouldn't have fit in the earlier parts of the game just because it would have been such a shift in tone.

But as was pointed out in the last television bit, Alan decided to steadily push the genre out of horror and towards action, where the darkness could be defeated. In the last couple chapters, he discovered the actual enemy was this 'dark presence' all along, talked to the Old Gods who gave him a goal for how he might learn how to beat it, and killed off the distractions so the plot could focus entirely on the main villain.

What I really like about that though, is that this shift coincided with his second dunk in the lake. The story really started the first time he jumped into the lake to try and save Alice. Then the shift away from horror and towards action started after he fell into the lake again, but this second time he was carrying a flare. (which a story page noted could burn underwater)

Anyway, I always thought that was a really neat angle in the game that's never really directly touched on.

Huh, I hadn't picked up on that but that's a really good read on the plot so far, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Combat Lobster posted:

You know, seeing Barry wrapped in Christmas lights made me think of a neat weapon idea. Braid a couple feet of the stuff and make a christmas light whip.

Better yet, tie two Barrys together with christmas lights and make barrychucks.

• Locked thread