Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

It's weird that this, of all games, does the fat comic relief guy character well.

I quite like the whole section with the police station and the cabins. Actually, I enjoy all the daylight moments in Alan Wake. I think horror games are more effective when they keep one foot in reality, rather than just being ALL MONSTERS, ALL THE TIME.

Also, please both do the entire commentary in Barry voices from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

One of the things I like about Twin Peaks is how it ignores cliches with its hero. Cooper is a brilliant detective who is also a genuinely nice person with no deep-seated personality disorders or crippling addictions. He trusts, and is trusted by, local law enforcement right from the start. How many other shows deliberately defuse their most obvious source of plot-generating conflict right at the beginning?

Besides Kyle Maclachlan's charm, Cooper remains interesting because he's such a massive contrast to the evil in Twin Peaks. Like, we know how Harry Callahan or Jimmy McNulty or those clones on NCSI would deal with a serial killer, because they live in the same world. Meanwhile, Cooper seems to have wandered in to Twin Peaks straight from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I was always curious and nervous when watching about how he'd react to the various horrors in the series.

Compare with Alan Wake, who is an rear end in a top hat and, explicitly, the creator of his world.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

~theories~
There's one other explanation that you haven't mentioned.

• Locked thread