Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is absolutely one of my favorite games. It hits all the sweet spots for me regarding dialogue and creativity, and the soundtrack is wonderful (it helps that I'm a huge Poets of the Fall fan). The combat isn't perfect, but it's not bad enough that it does anything to drag down the quality of the game; the game could never last 100% on the combat, but it does so much else right that you can ignore any minor quibbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Bright Falls is in Washington. Also, holy crap, that's terrifying!

Not as terrifying as it seems, if I remember correctly. It's only ever erupted a few times in millions of years and we can't figure out if we're "due" in our lifetimes, or even any reasonable distance into the future.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

A large number of islands have been created by volcanoes. If the cabin from built on anything but an extinct volcano, I would be very worried.

Like further cooling of the Earth or NOOOOO! on the Earth?

Widespread climate change that fucks up worldwide crop growing is the biggest threat. It's unlikely to actually depopulate the Earth.

Though again, it's not gonna happen in our lifetimes. Even minor eruptions happen with tens of thousands of years apart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was curious about where Alan got his sweet tweed jacket, and someone on a forum said they thought they remembered hearing that the jacket for the model was bought at H&M. H&M did at one point offer this extremely similar tweed blazer, so I imagine at some point that jacket did get sold to quite a few people who are inadvertently wearing a video game character's costume.

They did some neat live action stuff with Ilkka that I don't want to post yet for risk of spoiling the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Alan's character design is just weird. The game doesn't make any real mentions of how it's cold, or anything like that. It does take place in September I believe, but that's not 2-jackets-and-3-t-shirts levels of cold. It's not even that cold yet right now where I live!

It actually used to be even worse. In the beta, Alan was wearing 2 jackets, a sweater, and a scarf!

I just got home from New York City yesterday (with a stop in Philadelphia on Friday), and it's plenty cold but all you need is like, a single good jacket over a t-shirt and you'll be fine. Add a scarf and gloves some days. I would make a joke about Alan being an inexperienced city slicker who's overpreparing for the Pacific Northwest, but he's from New York! He sees colder weather than Bright Falls probably ever gets!

One last clothing note: I found a great article detailing how the developers created Alan's jacket and the cloth physics behind it. They even correctly modeled the stiffer shoulder pads and how the other parts of the jacket move when Alan moves his shoulders.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 5, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had some thoughts about cosplaying Alan Wake before, but looking at his costume in detail now I've realized that I'd probably overheat and die.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

Then go for his American nightmare look instead.

I'll admit that the original tweed jacket and 5 extra layers is the most iconic costume for a cosplay.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

edit: by the way, I mention in the video that Alan Wake is 5 years old, because at the time it was. We recorded the commentary for the first episode of the game a literal year ago. My god.

Have you been recording commentary for a whole year or is there a backlog and you're doing fresh stuff now?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I only just noticed how they actually simulated Wake's ears ringing the first time he fires the gun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So thanks to the Deer Fest information, we can actually figure out that Alan Wake begins on September 1st and Alan wakes up in the car on the night of September 8th.

Bright Falls is located in Washington state. The recorded climate in Tacoma, WA on September 8th, 2010 was a high of 63 degrees and a low of 54 degrees. As such, Alan is likely suffering from severe overheating during the daytime.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also for anyone who couldn't hear the credits song properly, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTNRZjZRhk

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I really love how Barry is presented in the game. It's so common for the "fat comic relief character" archetype to be a boring stereotype, but he's actually a portrayed as a great guy with a good sense of humor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inferior posted:

I quite like the whole section with the police station and the cabins. Actually, I enjoy all the daylight moments in Alan Wake. I think horror games are more effective when they keep one foot in reality, rather than just being ALL MONSTERS, ALL THE TIME.

I really love games like Alan Wake that balance the action sequences with quieter, story-heavy segments. It's the same I reason I play stuff like Sleeping Dogs or BioShock Infinite, and it makes the world feel a lot more "real" and give more impact to the action that does happen.

In keeping with Remedy, I noticed that Max Payne 2 did the same thing on a lesser scale. There's a whole level in the police station that only shifts into combat for a short time at the very end, and the rest is just walking and talking and listening to all the humorous conversations. As much as I love Max Payne 3, I wonder how much it would have changed if Remedy was doing it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

And maybe lay off the tweed.

He needs to chill.

gently caress tweed, smoke weed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I definitely recommend reading the Alan Wake novel as well. It mostly follows the game faithfully, but it expands on Alan's history with his wife and his general state of mind at the time. It also establishes why he takes to guns so easily: he went shooting a bunch of times to do research for his Alex Casey novels.

According to his official Alan Wake Wiki page, Remedy intentionally chose to make Alan a dick because they felt that it made him a more realistic and relatable protagonist. He didn't have a top notch childhood and isn't able to handle his fame, so he tends to lash out at paparazzi and overbearing fans. And as the beginning of the game emphasizes, Alan has been under a lot of stress from writer's block. He's already twitchy when he arrives and all of this craziness isn't doing much good for his attitude.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ride a roller coaster CJacobs, it's the only way!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The reason Alan wears like five or six layers is because people routinely throw axes at him so he wears that much clothing as a form of body armour; it's what allows him to take several direct hits and still keep running around. The thick skin he developed from years of criticism from his terrible writing allows him to shrug off the axe that strays off towards his face.

I remember in college, we did a musical where one of the girls was an amateur axe thrower. So for a segment where the character had to show off her skills, they would wheel on a target and some of her throwing axes. Literally every show night, she flubbed and bounced the axe off.

So these axes probably really are just bouncing the blunt end off Wake's forehead.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing I forgot about that's a neat touch is the gun sounds. They're not super realistic or anything, but they got one thing very accurate: most different firearms sound extremely similar. Chances are most people couldn't tell the difference between a shotgun and a .45 pistol going off at the same outdoor range unless they've got a good ear for it. I like that Remedy decided not to do what virtually every developer does and use lovely canned sounds. It actually kinda makes the shotgun feel more powerful when it's that nice BANG instead of some deep bass thud.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Something Awful poster Fish Noise, who I do enjoy so much: you may be happy to know that The Binding of Isaac finally officially supports modding with lua and stuff. That means that I can finally make that fan art you drew back in the Dead Space 3 thread a reality!

I completely forgot about the catheter joke and I'm glad it has not been forgotten.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samovar posted:

It's actually really hard to write horror, now that I think on it. Film is a much better medium for horror, I think.

Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, has some pretty good poo poo like Heart-Shaped Box.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This got posted in the AUG thread and I couldn't shake the feeling that the guy looks a lot like Alan Wake on a bender.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs, have you ever thought about doing an LP of Max Payne 1 and 2? Or did I just not notice you doing it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, Max Payne 2 is much easier than the first (although death still comes for you incredibly quickly) so I definitely look forward to streaming that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3DK-L_4SU

I streamed an assload of insane Max Payne 1 mods last night, it was really fun. Some highlights include Blade kung-fu kicking people into flames, walking up a person's face in slow motion by kicking them a lot, destroying an island with bomps and my Rakkinishu pistol, the best snowboarding in any video game, and the return of Max @ University in which it turns out that the evil professor is actually your father and an alien and he fights you with clones of himself on a bridge to nowhere. And P=NP, I guess!

The Max Payne mods remind me of the wild state of late 90s and early 2000s Internet. Goths, Satanic imagery thrown in just to be edgy, GIFs of flames, MIDI music, poor Photoshops, college and high school students making mods based on their schools, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alan be praised.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never seen Twin Peaks, but I feel like it's one of those things I probably should. I think I'll join in!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I really need to get back to DP. I stopped shortly after the hospital visit, in part because it took a long time to fix a glitch that caused the game to crash as soon as I left after the combat segment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's a neat little thing made by Michael J. Anderson demonstrating how to do the backwards talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_q7rZJljKY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want a clean version of the song from the stage battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1k1tgq87g

Poets of the Fall is wonderful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs is the tallest LP boy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alan Wake is like LA Beast drinking that old-rear end moonshine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Alan Wake's Reefer Madness.

It ends up playing out like that mission in Far Cry 3.

Footage from the latest Alan Wake DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2J7SKcsWnw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Hey, speaking of which, there's a recent new addition to my bedroom:

My grandparents don't wanna turn on the A/C, fine, I'll get my own. The saga of CJacobs dying of heat stroke every summer is finally over. :cool:

Also check out that tinfoil. Man do I wish curtains actually fit on my window.

Our AC is still broken after a few years. I just spend my summers sitting or sleeping in front of a fan.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I was looking at Alan Wake cosplays.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm just glad for a delay update that's not "I'm in the hospital because my dick split open like a hot dog in a microwave."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Antistar01 posted:

Sam Lake out of nowhere doing the original Max Payne face was one of my favourite parts of this game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

White Coke posted:

Why is he dressed like Alan Wake?

That's just the traditional dress of Finland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6giZ2wiar9U

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it means the Dark Place and the Dark Presence in general are bigger and deeper than just what's seen in Bright Falls, and Zane has found it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some interesting fan art from toteczious.tumblr.com:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How do you make those charts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only criticism I would have is that the screeching, climbing notes on "Memory and thought" should be a single note leading into a higher sustained note, since the actual guitar sounds like he's sliding up a fret and bending the strings.

• Locked thread