Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

whowhatwhere posted:

Step two: an uncomfortably detailed TVTropes page.

Is there any other kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

The ones on great classical works of literature are always a little bit sparse...

TVTropes pages are driven by obsession, and for whatever reason there aren't that many editors on that site who are obsessed with literary classics. That in itself is an interesting topic for discussion, but I think we should curtail this derailment since mocking TVTropes is a pretty dead horse.

As for the discussion questions: 1. I didn't notice the change in directorial style, I'm not very good at noticing that sort of thing in TV and movies. 2. I think there's some acknowledgement of evil existing as some sort of force if you're going to create a secret society.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
They really missed an opportunity by not having you fight possessed trophies.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gothsheep posted:

But as was pointed out in the last television bit, Alan decided to steadily push the genre out of horror and towards action, where the darkness could be defeated. In the last couple chapters, he discovered the actual enemy was this 'dark presence' all along, talked to the Old Gods who gave him a goal for how he might learn how to beat it, and killed off the distractions so the plot could focus entirely on the main villain.

I wonder how much effect Alan had in defining the Dark Presence in addition to empowering it. It needs to work through people, whether it's by possessing people or more abstractly by making Alan's story come true, so maybe Alan or someone else could be beat it by recreating that episode of Futurama where Fry beat the Brainspawn by trapping them in a prison of "plot holes and spelling errors".

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

But what about the coffee thermoses?

I've already talked about how you can interpret Alan as an alcoholic. The many thermoses are his vain attempt to treat his addiction with another addiction.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I missed the stream, how tall is CJacobs?

value-brand cereal posted:

Consider this...... Cjacobs is a tall fellow. All the dark souls bosses are taller than the playable character.

Therefore cjacobs is secretly a Lord.

CJacobs is Gwyn's firstborn!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's a real pity they cut the fight with the mammoth skeleton.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

This reminds me of the time I took summer classes during Uni.

I will never take summer classes again.

I learned not to take Summer School when I got stuck in a remedial science class, which I got an A in, because the class I had signed up for didn't have enough people. At least the teacher knew I wasn't supposed to be in there, so I got to play my GBA when I finished the work early.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

Pah, pale-skinned weaklings! I live in sunny Malaysia, where it's 27-30 degrees Celsius (81-86 Fahrenheit) all the goddamn time, I use no more than an hour's A/C every day AND every Friday I walk half an hour in total to and from the mosque :smug:

(It's a wonder I haven't charbroiled yet).

How often does it get into the hundred-and-teens (Fahrenheit)? Because I have that to look forward to for the next few months.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

Here in civilized lands the temperature rarely rises above 35 degrees because we use civilized units.

I wasn't aware there was a part of the USA that barely ever got above freezing. Except mountains or something like that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
DirtbagAmosGundersonTheBanditJacobs

White Coke
May 29, 2015
A rotating bridge might be for taller but narrower boats, while the drawbridge is for shorter, wider ones.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mr. Highway posted:

Alan-writer completely changes real people to fit his needs in the story, which may or may not be the most horrific aspect of the game.

If this is true it could mean that the Anderson brothers weren't going senile before they met Alan, they might have just been two old guys who like rock music.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

By the way, the thing I was gonna mention (that I forgot) about shoeboxes is that Zane's specification of a shoebox is pretty important! You see, the Clicker is stored in a shoebox... but we've seen one other such shoebox before!

So I think it's kinda cool that Zane gave himself the perfect loophole for writing himself out of existence, but continuing to exist. He just put his writing in a shoebox and bam it's like he never left! :v:

But again, for all we know, it only is that way because Alan may have penned that in to allow the Clicker to exist. So who knows!

I was going to ask about whether it was one shoebox or any shoebox that's immune, but this seems to answer the question. And I bet the reason Zane is a cryptid is because a bunch of people probably had some of his books stored away in shoeboxes, and once Zane wrote himself out you have all these peoples with multiple copies of books from a writer no one knows about. If it were just one set then people could pass it off as a hoax, but having so many people (presumably) having identical copies of the book raises questions that aren't as simply brushed off.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Why is he dressed like Alan Wake?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
My response to fan theories is to ask what it adds to the story, and I don't think Thomas Zane being Alan's father adds anything. There isn't enough of a relationship developed between them, and in fact the uncertainty of their familial relationship adds to the uncertainty about reality that exists between Alan and Zane. Alan Wake is about writers and writing, so there doesn't need to be a relationship between the two other than creator and created. How much did Zane use Alan? As an author creating a character, as a father abandoning his son in order to help him, or as the creation of Alan himself as a mentor figure to help guide him through the story Alan himself created?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm the pupper cradled in that guys arms, safe and unmurdered :3:

I'm the broom being used by Odin to rock out.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Also they actually allowed him to be gay. His verizon contract actually had stipulations that he couldn't "embarrass the brand"

Meanwhile Verizon guy's twin brother sued to combat reverse-racism in the New Haven Fire Department.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Imaginary Barry is somehow even better than Normal Barry. I don't know how that's possible.

Imaginary Barry is the only good thing Alan has ever created and Alan Wake 2 needs to happen so that the two Barrys can team up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

The plot didn't really expand any, no, it mostly just served to confirm that the real Alan has been driven crazy by the Dark Place and that the fictional Alan needs to find him to snap him out of it.

So Imaginary Barry was made by Fictional Alan?

CJacobs posted:

edit: It also confirmed that Alan is fully in control of the dark place now even though he isn't sane enough to actually utilize it at the moment- evidenced by making Zane unceremoniously poof away.

Real Alan or Fictional Alan?

• Locked thread