Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Watched an LP of this over on the archive a while back, and I do not recall Alan sounding quite so pretentious in his narration. Seriously, dude, get over yourself.

Also, I really want to see some of those extracts or whatever of his writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

like seriously read Salem's Lot there's like 15 chapters describing what people are doing in the town, or describing the town (i like those parts of Salem's Lot and most of his books tbh, i'd read a Stephen king atlas)

There's also a chapter or so in The Stand consisting of little vignettes of people who managed to survive the super-flu only to die because they have an accident or something. It's depressing as hell, but totally fitting, given the premise.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Random thought: am I the only one who finds it pretentious that Alan's name on all his books is larger than the titles? I mean, let's be real here - you have to be Stephen King-level famous before you can get away with that.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: Mt. Saint Helen's - It's probably worth remembering that it's also in Washington state, so it's definitely something people from that area would be aware of.

Also, CJacobs, how do you not remember the Eyjafjallajökull eruption? It was in 2010. It repeatedly shut down any air travel in/to/out of Europe for a month. It was kind of a big deal.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, has some pretty good poo poo like Heart-Shaped Box.

NOS4A2 is really good, too. Nice mix of realistic and supernatural horror. Plus, I can't help but think that Hill might have been channeling a bit of his own experience with his dad into it.

• Locked thread