Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Absolutely, unquestionably yes, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Neurosis posted:

this post sold me on it and i've bene playing a few hours. seems good so far, has a real black company vibe.

Lol if I had known you'd be buying it based off that post I'd have gone into more detail. But basically

9foxtails posted:

Tyranny took everything that was great about POE and threw away all the tedium. Great IsoRPG. Happy to see a return of the genre.

This, plus the setting, plot, and writing in general is way more interesting than Pillars's.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah nice spoilers, thanks

He's describing choices you make in character creation, before you even have control of your character.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

im sorry

that actually sounds cool then, yeah

Yeah it's pretty sweet. The last step of character creation is like a CYOA where you decide where your character was and what they were doing when the occupied land the game takes place in was being conquered and it has all kinds of changes to your relationship with other factions and tons of unique dialogue and sometimes even really dramatic changes like completely adjusting the geometry of a level or changing which quests are available. It's badass

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Basically imagine if the long, complex backstory you can make for your character in the first conversation in Pillars actually meant anything or was ever referenced again.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don't mind the stuff in the normal course of gameplay but yeah the bits where you talk to your companions and they all have like 8 dialogue choices that each lead to another 8 and each one is a multi paragraph essay can get old fast. I like Tyranny's writing and companions and stuff so I don't mind it in this game in particular but Pillars had really uninteresting companions in an uninteresting plot in an uninteresting world so I just gave up talking to my companions after the first couple because after a while my eyes would just start sliding off the screen.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm enjoying Tyranny and I love the way Barik and Verse snipe at each other.

I think the fact that all your companions are pretty much constantly spoiling to kill at least one other member of your party and would all slaughter each other happily if you hadn't brought them to heel is a big part of why the companion writing is so good.

Also the way that they'll butt into your conversations with other party members.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm the guy who turns on subtitles and then just reads those and mashes the next button as soon as I have so the voice acting is just "the enemy is--we have--I can't--" so they're all written games to me

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My main issue with the game was just that I wanted more legal stuff. Like there could have been a whole section between breaking the first edict and the Disfavored/Chorus civil war where you just wander around proclaiming judgements as a Fatebinder. That was the aspect of it I was most excited about so I was a little disappointed that there wasn't so much of it. Just a lot more random side quests like the early one with the Disfavored soldier seizing the merchant's inventory, or the captured beastman in that one town.

Also the trial at the end should have been longer. After Tunon made a big deal about how he'd seen everything and I was going to answer for everything, I was looking forward to actually trying to justify all the insane poo poo I'd done but he only asks three questions. My character got challenged on the fact that she glared silently a lot but not on the fact that she stole a grimoire of forbidden knowledge for herself in defiance of Kyros's explicit demands to destroy it.

I kinda like where the story ended narratively though. The only real nitpick I have about it is I would have liked to have a little input on what my character was trying to do exactly with the newfound archonship. Like did the end represent your character laying the foundations for replacing Kyros or just independence for the Tiers? I played my character as fanatically, unquestionably loyal to both Kyros and Tunon (except for the forbidden knowledge bit) and she'd have been happy continuing to serve Kyros as ruler of the Tiers even after the skirmish and nuking the capital as long as Kyros let her run things within her borders. Just more clarification and hopefully player input on where exactly your character and Kyros stand.

Now that 2016's over I think I can officially declare this my GOTY. Really excited for an announcement on their expansion/sequel plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I never played Planescape: Torment but Tides of Numenera looks really cool and that convinced me to buy it on gog. It's next on my list after I wrap up the Halo series and Divinity: Original Sin.

• Locked thread