Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i forgot tyranny even existed until i got a popup telling me it was released. i liked p o e enough to sink in 40 odd hours into it though i didn't finish it due to running up to a frustratingly difficult fight, but the writing wasn't as good as i'd hoped. do they do anything interesting in this game with the 'you represent an evil oppressive regime' idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Absolutely, unquestionably yes, op

this post sold me on it and i've bene playing a few hours. seems good so far, has a real black company vibe.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Lol if I had known you'd be buying it based off that post I'd have gone into more detail. But basically

This, plus the setting, plot, and writing in general is way more interesting than Pillars's.

tbh i was probably going to do it anyway because i am a huge mark for black isle/troika/obsidian games. i am looking forward to torment tides of numenera a fuckton, i dicked around in the alpha and it is clearly in the tradition of torment while having its own feel and there are a real lack of dying earth type videogames.

Mad Wack posted:

i want a quest where you put fire ants in barik's armor :twisted:

would not have surprised me at all given the dialogue tree allows you to get him to admit he's tried jerking it through his armour (to no relief) and that he just shits himself in there all the time.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ragg posted:

Sometimes the writing is really noticeably bad.

i haven't noticed this.

also gently caress kangaxx and his gay imprison poo poo.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
p o e had some bland dialogue but there's some pretty funny poo poo in this game. try lantry's inks. 'gently caress YOU I AM THE LAW.' Also anything around bodily functions and Barik.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
http://tinyurl.com/j9ypxa7
lol

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 11, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
got age of decadence and am dabbling in it, pillars of eternity and the torment numenera beta.

so assuming absolutely every npc in age of decadence is a turd trying to gently caress you seems like the correct way to play this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Agean90 posted:

woot beat the game. its hard to take the story seriously when your playing a muscle wizard named Punch Fistgroin. My thoughts:

Combat got easy as fuuuuuck in the last act, but that was probably because i was using sirin so i could try to raise her loyalty some more. Anticlimatic too, i punched out the embodiment of law and order (COME ON TUNON GRIT THOSE TEETH), dropped ink with lantry then set a capitol city on fire while high as gently caress. since i was on the anarchist path as well, the ending pretty much described how i was forever alone afterwords since apparently only lantry was my bro, so the bittersweetness of the ending fit well with how anticlimactic act 3 was. Im sad the anarchist path doesn't have more domination in it though, I though it would be me straight up taking poo poo over. Instead I did a bunch of fetch quests for mark-e-mark then left chaos wherever i went. Think ill make either a javelin dude or a sword and board dude going rebel next game, prolly play on hard too.

Act 3 in general is a bit rough and screams of cut content. Hoping for some DLC to beef that then Tyranny 2 for when we get to wreck Kyros' poo poo.
Also I Didn't kill Tunon because despite having every reason not to he still found me innocent saying he's at least a just fascist judge, where justice has the narrow virtues of impartiality and treating like cases alike. Will be proud to have him laying down the law for my new empire

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 8, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
torment: nides of numenera is out in a month. the beta is pretty sick but it's probably not the game if you're really into combat systems like pillars. the aesthetic experience involving the visuals and writing is very good. sufficiently different from torment while still being in the same vein. the differences being mainly aesthetic. there doesn't seem to be utter walls of text to read so far either, and the text there is tends to focus on what makes the world distinctive and different rather than giving you boring descriptions about someone's mannerisms, but this is admittedly on a small sampling of the game. not sure yet if the level of pretentiousness will be the same.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the combat system's fairly rudimentary but they have tried to add some more roleplaying like things into it to make it more interesting. like you can talk to your opponents in combat and there are environmental things in a lot of areas that need skill checks etc. i'm making the 'rudimentary' call off a pretty small amount of combat though because on the time i've spent playing in it i've barely needed to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
if anyone's interested in giving pillars a try (i did a full run after finishing tyranny; it was good) it's on sale for cheap over at gog https://www.gog.com/promo/20170123_weekly_sale?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20170123_weekly_sale&utm_term=EN

they just fully funded pillars 2 so...

• Locked thread