Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Tupperwarez posted:

Recently got to 16F, unlocked 3-star guys, but haven't fought the midboss yet because I'm a dork who likes to over-gear and over-prepare, even for midbosses. Been collecting spoils from my expedition guys like a digital slumlord.

Now that I've got 3-star guys (the first 3 classes anyway), should I be rocking 3-star stuff, or upgraded 2-star stuff? What's the usual 'farming loop' to get materials and blueprints below 16F? Elevator to 13F, work my way down to 11F Seyane, then back up again?

You've got a good thing going. Using 2 star weapons on 11F-20F is good on it's own. Upgraded is better. You most likely won't get the materials to upgrade to 3 star until either 21F - 30F or even 31F - 40F. Keep going up till you hit 21F and you'll get a glut of new stuff. However at 21F+ things get exponentially harder so it's good that you're upgrading your stuff.

Since you're still in the ruined city area, 2 star gear on G3 Fighters is good enough until 21F+. Then get some more upgrades in so you won't suffer too much on the path to getting G4 Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

Did they add in a feature where I can listen to the radio soundtrack while I'm dungeon crawling? Cuz I'd be willing to jump back into this if so

While in the Waiting Room, go into your Options and you'll find an option for Tower Radio. This will do exactly what you're looking for. The only downside of doing this is that you won't get music cues for Hater fights anymore.

teh winnar! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 30, 2017

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

TopHatGenius posted:

Since you're still in the ruined city area, 2 star gear on G3 Fighters is good enough until 21F+. Then get some more upgrades in so you won't suffer too much on the path to getting G4 Fighters.
OK, makes sense. Climbed up to 19F now, looks like I need to loop around a couple floors to get to 20F, so I'll probably try that next weekend. Just found blueprints for the Nail Gun, so I'm working on that plus the Assault Rifle. Got my Iron+ to +4, that thing is going to be monstrous.

Funnily enough, I'm low on Scratch Metal of all things. Are there any floors that are filled with Scratch Tubers? I'm hearing 6F Heimo-Jima, but apparently that only shows up like once a week. Anything more consistent?

16F JIN DIE was... interesting. First attempt went bad thanks to me being dumb and getting caught in the puke beam. Twice. In a row. Broke all my armor then I died. :downs: Second attempt, I discovered that the Iron's rage move actually stuns her. Murdered her before she even teleported away. Iron continues to be a problem solver, holy poo poo.

Also, how about them seasonal quests? Free golden shrooms and birds, practically free red metal? I feel like I picked a good time to start playing!

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
So I just started playing this again last night.

Have 5* filled locker, an okay amount of research and I think the last boss I beat was the 30's version of Coen.

Looking around I see a T4 version of the assault rifle was added with 2 k damage... Does that mean it is literally twice as strong per shot as the maxed out sniper? I know the Duke only goes up to T3 atm but still that just seems off.

Also, I had a hunter sent after me using a thunder rod that was easily eating through my health. Took a DM but I killed it. Thor's staff or rod or whatever.
My question is, how do you dodge that more effectively? It seems pretty ammo efficient so trying to wear out a full one a hunter has would take quite a while, and it is pretty quick so dodging on reaction is also tough.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Black_Oni 165 posted:

So I just started playing this again last night.

Have 5* filled locker, an okay amount of research and I think the last boss I beat was the 30's version of Coen.

Looking around I see a T4 version of the assault rifle was added with 2 k damage... Does that mean it is literally twice as strong per shot as the maxed out sniper? I know the Duke only goes up to T3 atm but still that just seems off.

Also, I had a hunter sent after me using a thunder rod that was easily eating through my health. Took a DM but I killed it. Thor's staff or rod or whatever.
My question is, how do you dodge that more effectively? It seems pretty ammo efficient so trying to wear out a full one a hunter has would take quite a while, and it is pretty quick so dodging on reaction is also tough.

The T4 KAMAS (assault rifle) does indeed have over 1k damage and it's great. It even has an increased max ammo count. I can only imagine how the DUKE will fair when the T4 version drops.

The Thunder Rod has a short range - use ranged attacks or make enemies jump/climb over things. You can smack them during their animations. If you can time a melee hit, you can get in a hit before the staff does too much damage and you'll knock the Hater out of their attack.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Well In that case I definitely know what weapons are next on my priority list... Kamas and dragon buster

Yeah the issue with trying to tank any hits was that it was a 5* +4 version being used by a 5* character, while I was on the back end of a 15 floor run and had armor picked up in the 20 to 30 range so each hit was doing over a thousand damage. Ended up baiting, rolling back and dumping Kamas rounds till all the armor broke, then it took another clip to finish her off. Scary situation considering I had just spent the majority of my cash on buying most of the mats (red metals etc) at the shop on 27

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Welp, found the Scratch Tuber Party Zone on 6F and got hell of Scratch Metals and Nail Gun mastery. Of course now the bottleneck has shifted to faction metals now, haha. Thankfully getting blues will be easy, and greens shouldn't be hard either.

Climbed up to 20F, but will probably stall for an unreasonable amount of time to build up my gear because that's how I do. Based on the Jackson videos I've seen, I should clean out the arena before defusing the last bomb, then fight him like a JIN DIE with extra tricks, right?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
It definitely helps. At least get rid of the Hater before it messes you up mid-Jackson fight.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
There's also a snail somewhere to the left of the arena if you're deep into the poison eater trick.
Also also you can disarm all three things and the second phase won't start until you approach him

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Question about prepping for 21F onward. The gist is that I should get slash resist, and blunt/pierce damage, right? I've got Priest's chest and legs up to about +4. For blunt I've got Iron+ at +4, and Hammer+ at +2. For piercing I've got the Assault Rifle and Nail Gun at +4. That should allow me to skulk around 21F and 22F to collect 3-star materials and blueprints, yeah?

Also, I've been doing the season quests and collecting DOD and WE red metals. Is it better to get advanced weapons or armor? Specifically, I think I can make a Death Burner Iron if I get lucky with the vending machine, or I can make a Captain's Beret with stuff I can collect now.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Death burner iron would let you pretty much waltz through to the 30s with little issues if you can get there.

The game is a combination of numbers and abilities, but the numbers scale in such a way that they make a huge difference in your chances of progress.

Death burner is a good example, and it is good even in the 30s, though not as OP as it is until that point.

My current favorite is the T4 Kamas sitting at 1970 damage per shot, and that goes up to ~2300 at +4. It pretty much trivializes everything up to 30 and heavily simplifies everything up to 40 to the point where I feel little risk in the trip.

E: captain's beret is good for the short term but in the long term there are only 2 armor types that are truly great atm.
That would be the night scout set, because it's defense values are high enough to mostly invalidate weaknesses compared to others.
And any 4CE set (white steel, red napalm, black thunder) due to having 16x normal durability levels, making them great for long trips even if their defense isn't as high as the night scout set.

Black_Oni 165 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 13, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Question about prepping for 21F onward. The gist is that I should get slash resist, and blunt/pierce damage, right? I've got Priest's chest and legs up to about +4. For blunt I've got Iron+ at +4, and Hammer+ at +2. For piercing I've got the Assault Rifle and Nail Gun at +4. That should allow me to skulk around 21F and 22F to collect 3-star materials and blueprints, yeah?

Also, I've been doing the season quests and collecting DOD and WE red metals. Is it better to get advanced weapons or armor? Specifically, I think I can make a Death Burner Iron if I get lucky with the vending machine, or I can make a Captain's Beret with stuff I can collect now.

You can get by with whatever kind of weapon you're best with, honestly. I did all of Crowley's floors with Nightmare Claws and a jungle Machete.

Don't bother using an AR if you aren't playing a shooter or attacker, imo.

teh winnar! posted:

While in the Waiting Room, go into your Options and you'll find an option for Tower Radio. This will do exactly what you're looking for. The only downside of doing this is that you won't get music cues for Hater fights anymore.

Eh, you can usually hear Haters coming with their yells anyways.

I actually really came to like the ambient themes, though. The ones for Jackson and Crowley's areas are pretty nice.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
My plan to coast my way to a Death Burner Iron while not climbing past 21F proceeds apace. 1 more Steel to go, then The Great Laundering will begin...

11F blueprint farming continues to frustrate, though. Night Scout set starts at 2-star, so the BP should drop in 11-20F, right? Still haven't gotten a sniper rifle BP either. The shop in 3F Omoki only sells 1-star blueprints that I don't have, right?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Tupperwarez posted:

My plan to coast my way to a Death Burner Iron while not climbing past 21F proceeds apace. 1 more Steel to go, then The Great Laundering will begin...

11F blueprint farming continues to frustrate, though. Night Scout set starts at 2-star, so the BP should drop in 11-20F, right? Still haven't gotten a sniper rifle BP either. The shop in 3F Omoki only sells 1-star blueprints that I don't have, right?

You're going to clean soo much house with that Death Burner Iron.

Night Scout is difficult to get (for me anyways). If you're going for BPs you can try 14K KOSHI-TAGAWA and 17F NUTAKOEN (secret shop spawn chances). You'll probably also come across the DUKE-02 Sniper when looking at blueprints there too.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Nice job on the material gathering, almost time to cook the 20s to a crisp!

Yeah night scout is rare as hell but it might be worth spending the cash at the shop today if the BP shows up

E : the Duke is worth it but it isn't TOO rare I find. It definitely has a much higher damage multiplier than the KAMAS does. My 2k damage KAMAS does around the same damage on headshot as a base DUKE-13 does which has less than half the actual displayed attack value. Going to be interesting if they bring out a next tier for that.....

Black_Oni 165 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 20, 2017

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Just an FYI

Some more 6* fighters have been added

Attacker from having 4 weapons of 6* researched
Shooter from climbing 41-50 without using any 4CE equipment
Skill Master from killing Red Napalm on Nightmare twice

Not sure on the rest though

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did they ever lessen the grind, or at least make the store interface quicker? Gathering materials was fine, but having to wait ten seconds every time I clicked on something in the equipment shop list was a massive pain in the arse.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
The store interface seems a little bit quicker.

Not sure if it is due to me getting used to it, or an actual improvement though.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Black_Oni 165 posted:

Just an FYI

Some more 6* fighters have been added

Attacker from having 4 weapons of 6* researched
Shooter from climbing 41-50 without using any 4CE equipment
Skill Master from killing Red Napalm on Nightmare twice

Not sure on the rest though

Finally.

Time to murder everything as a shooter with the Kamas.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

TopHatGenius posted:

Finally.

Time to murder everything as a shooter with the Kamas.

Yeah... Got the 6* shooter myself today.

It rolls at max 300 Dex from levels and can go over 10k health with a max roll on that too.
It is glorious.

Black_Oni 165 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not convinced Black Thunder's random effect actually has anything on it than "heal Black Thunder".

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
So I finally made the effort to reach floor 50 today. What a slog that was. Made it at least.

Definitely going back there with some 4ce equipment next time. Amazing farming opportunities at least.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Destiny 2 isn’t satisfying my mindless podcast grind itch so I just booted the game up for the first time since January or so and would appreciate some grinding guidance! Also general tips or days/floors to watch out for, a link to a current guide, anything. I’ve forgotten a lot.

Weapons: it looks like the kamas and death burner have been mentioned as viable. Do I want to bother leveling my +2 pork chopper, +1 cleaver saber, motor psycho or +2 nail gun+? I don’t have any red metal gear unlocked but am two steel and one reverse metal away from the base death burner, figure I’d prioritize that. I’m also apparently on the verge of murderous rake or battle machete if either are worth the resources.

Armor: I have night scout body and leg schematics but haven’t leveled them. I could push some combination of DIY, steel god, special forces, trucker or rogue gear to the red faction metal level once I have the mats.

Apparently red metals are randomly sold in-base for premium currency? I don’t mind spending a little to get over that hump of it will make the next leg of the game more enjoyable. I’ve unlocked floor 27, have 4-Star fighters and keep eating mushrooms by mistake because the button scheme feels foreign. :cool:

e: forcemen, new decals??? Man, have some reading to do.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 11, 2017

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

poor life choice posted:

Destiny 2 isn’t satisfying my mindless podcast grind itch so I just booted the game up for the first time since January or so and would appreciate some grinding guidance! Also general tips or days/floors to watch out for, a link to a current guide, anything. I’ve forgotten a lot.

Weapons: it looks like the kamas and death burner have been mentioned as viable. Do I want to bother leveling my +2 pork chopper, +1 cleaver saber, motor psycho or +2 nail gun+? I don’t have any red metal gear unlocked but am two steel and one reverse metal away from the base death burner, figure I’d prioritize that. I’m also apparently on the verge of murderous rake or battle machete if either are worth the resources.

Armor: I have night scout body and leg schematics but haven’t leveled them. I could push some combination of DIY, steel god, special forces, trucker or rogue gear to the red faction metal level once I have the mats.

Apparently red metals are randomly sold in-base for premium currency? I don’t mind spending a little to get over that hump of it will make the next leg of the game more enjoyable. I’ve unlocked floor 27, have 4-Star fighters and keep eating mushrooms by mistake because the button scheme feels foreign. :cool:

The tier 4 Kamas (SP E) is very great. More ammo and over 1k damage. You should definitely level the Pork Chopper and Cleaver Saber! The tier 4 chopper and saber are getting released on Black Friday so get the tier 3 +4 versions ready and party like it's the early months again. Murderous Rake is pretty good - that blinding attack pairs nicely with the charge. Battle Machete is awesome but takes a lot of resources to level to level to tier 4 (both take some commitment as they require Purple Metals when upgrading past +1 or +2 tier 4).

Also get the Death Burner. It's fantastic even if it doesn't have a tier 4 upgrade.

Night Scout great is pretty great. Currently the set with the highest defense numbers at Tier 4. Otherwise I'd choose whatever you think looks the best and has the option to upgrade to tier 4.

Red metals can be bought at the Hernia vending machine by grinding up decals or blueprints and turning them into resource points.

I wouldn't worry about the Forcemen for now. They are crazy bastards on Hard or Nightmare.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've been away forever, did they fix the durability problem making top-tier weapons useless?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TopHatGenius posted:

The tier 4 Kamas (SP E) is very great. More ammo and over 1k damage. You should definitely level the Pork Chopper and Cleaver Saber! The tier 4 chopper and saber are getting released on Black Friday so get the tier 3 +4 versions ready and party like it's the early months again. Murderous Rake is pretty good - that blinding attack pairs nicely with the charge. Battle Machete is awesome but takes a lot of resources to level to level to tier 4 (both take some commitment as they require Purple Metals when upgrading past +1 or +2 tier 4).

Also get the Death Burner. It's fantastic even if it doesn't have a tier 4 upgrade.

Night Scout great is pretty great. Currently the set with the highest defense numbers at Tier 4. Otherwise I'd choose whatever you think looks the best and has the option to upgrade to tier 4.

Red metals can be bought at the Hernia vending machine by grinding up decals or blueprints and turning them into resource points.

I wouldn't worry about the Forcemen for now. They are crazy bastards on Hard or Nightmare.

I remember hearing Steel God (the tier3/4 version of steel soldier) was better, but I could be wrong.

poor life choice posted:

Red Metals are reasonably easy to get just from the TDM Battle Rush weeklies, depending on how much you need. You get them from beating their respective boss in the MILK area (or Taro for MILK, since I think U-10 gives MILK black?) so I wouldn't bother using death metal for them. I just spend my death metal on the occasional revive and spiffing up my waiting room. :v:

Forcemen fights are pretty absurd. The normal modes aren't too much worse than Taro (imo) but Hard and Nightmare are exponentially more difficult.

HellCopter posted:

I've been away forever, did they fix the durability problem making top-tier weapons useless?

I'm pretty sure they have, or they at least fixed it for some.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

HellCopter posted:

That got fixed a long time ago, thankfully.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I can't confirm if the Steel God + set is better than the Night Raider E set but I can say that at +4 the Night Raider E Chest gives 3741 DEF.

Also U-10 does drop MILK Red Metals! Much less of a pain in the rear end than farming Taro. U-10 is also two rooms away from KOSHI-YAMA which has a gold chest - great for farming.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Nah night raider does currently have the highest defense of all by a good margin

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If only the colouration wasn't awful.

I just want to note that the limited time Gravity Rush 2 Kat set having the highest strength bonus on the head piece is dumb.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 13, 2017

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Figured I'd diary-post again. I'm drowning in free riches right now due to the Black Friday event, it's basically giving me enough Black Metals to bump more of my arsenal to 3-stars. Got a Longsword S and Nail Gun+ now. Not a quantum leap like the Death Burner Iron, but more damage is always better.

Speaking of the Iron, it continues to be The Motherfucking Problem Solver. One Slowmungus allowed me to Death Burn the poo poo out of the 23F GOTO-9. Currently at 25F now with 4-star fighters, holy poo poo these upgraded Haters don't gently caress around. I usually wear 2-star armor when farming below 20F, but I guess I need to start wearing my latest and greatest for the nastier surprises...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You are going to be so incredibly sad when you get to the next area. :v:

Enjoy fighting U-10 and a CO-EN that can one shot you without 1400+ armor! :v:

The 31+ floors are so absurdly expensive to rescue fighters from you can't really afford to get careless. I probably used a good third of the death metal I spent on revives just trying to get past 38.

Has anyone gotten express passes for a login bonus lately? Feels like it's been forever since I got one, though 42+ is so frustrating and boring I probably won't bother using any until the last forceman is out.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 25, 2017

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
The steel soldier/steel god set blueprints come from floors 1-10, right? I’m missing the pants and it’s driving me nuts. Any blueprint hunting tips?

Now that I’ve reached floor 31 and there’s a trickle of red metals from weeklies and events, I feel like I should buff my gear before progressing further and triggering five star developer Haters. Are there must-have loadouts? I plan on getting the death burner to +4 and chasing that 6-star kamas. Other than that I would maybe just fart around upgrading things that I think look good. Would love some forceman gear based on how durable it apparently is - can you use death metal in those fights or is it like the jackals?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Are waiting room defenders automatically returned after 4 hours now? The WoT event is great for getting my own easy-to-level night scout/kamas but I'm wondering what to do about what I assume will be an influx of 6-star kamas-wielding haters.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

poor life choice posted:

Are waiting room defenders automatically returned after 4 hours now? The WoT event is great for getting my own easy-to-level night scout/kamas but I'm wondering what to do about what I assume will be an influx of 6-star kamas-wielding haters.
I don't know if it's 4 hours but they do get returned after a set time since September's TDM Battle Rush Update.

I also don't know if they automatically get reassigned to defense or not, hasn't come up for me yet.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

I don't know if it's 4 hours but they do get returned after a set time since September's TDM Battle Rush Update.

I also don't know if they automatically get reassigned to defense or not, hasn't come up for me yet.

It is four hours.

If you check your defense settings while they're out, they won't automatically return to defense; if they get back before you check, they do. Both scenarios happened to me last week.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Just cleared Floor 20. How should I gear for 21-30? I've been using Machetes and KAMAS rifles since they're pretty easy to use and fairly powerful.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Just cleared Floor 20. How should I gear for 21-30? I've been using Machetes and KAMAS rifles since they're pretty easy to use and fairly powerful.

The machete, at least to me, started dropping off really fast in effectiveness in the 20s, enemies there have good slash resistance. Your guns are pretty useful, and weapons showing up soon will also be useful. The Pork Chopper is basically Heavy Machete 2.0 and has enough raw damage to get you going

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Pork chopper's poison and Death Burner Iron's burning are Very Important. Apart from that I like a good katana for the mix of techniques, good rage move and scaling power.

I also like to carry Motor Psycho for its cheap good rage move as an escape plan.

At this point in updates I'm sure the Lightning Wand is worth as a constant carry on those floors as it is later.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I found a loose Pork Chopper in a chest while running 21-23, does the blueprint drop on these floors? I also still need the Iron blueprint.

• Locked thread