Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ace Combat 7 has a new trailer! I'm so gay for these games! I love their stupid stories, the awesome soundtracks (especially AC2's) and the buddy-cop movie meets anime type radio chatter.

Ace Combat 7 will :siren: SUPPORT PSVR :siren: and I'm looking forward to making myself violently sick while playing virtual planes :rms:

Post your Ace Combatiest stories here (or don't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ace combat 4 is gaming ambrosia OP

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Ace combat 4 is gaming ambrosia OP

I have a fondness for Zero myself because it's fairly wacky

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

5 and Zero are miles above 4 imo. The missions and structure are way more interesting and Zero has amazing dogfights.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I played Assault Horizon for 3 levels. I wanted to stop when I was forced into QTE mode to kill an ace. I really wanted to stop when I did a barrel roll in a helicopter. I stopped when an entire level was in Call of Duty airstrike mode.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We won't talk about Assault Horizon in this thread.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

What's the best one to start with? I hear these games own

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unsung War's final mission is ingrained into my mind as one of the most epic video game experiences of my life

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Spoderman posted:

What's the best one to start with? I hear these games own

Zero is the first chronologically so I would do Zero > 04 > 5. Release order is 04 > 5 > Zero though so if you want to see the evolution of mechanics that might be better.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBoiW460nU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

owl milk posted:

Zero is the first chronologically so I would do Zero > 04 > 5. Release order is 04 > 5 > Zero though so if you want to see the evolution of mechanics that might be better.

quoting for ref. i need to try this series out, too

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
5 and 0 are two of my favorite games

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played UW for 6 years before I realized that answering no to a certain question would give you a different mission after. All the numbered games on the ps2 are so much win. I love the missions with either gigantic sky things you have to blow up or altitude restrictions because some super weapon is blowing up everything at 5,000 ft

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The theme of the greatest dogfight ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjwXI0n5-I

I really want these games on PS4.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You were close https://youtu.be/o1Qkzj5bStU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That does not play during a dogfight.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ace Combat 6 was also pretty decent and looks incredible even today. I hope it gets Xbone backwards compatibility at some stage. Story and overall epicness doesn't come close to the PS2 games but it's worth picking up

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

That does not play during a dogfight.

it counts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This series is on my To Do List, after I finish mega man, kirby and armored core. And others I cant remember right now.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

As yeah, been jonsin for one of thses. Infinity just wasn't enough.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

owl milk posted:

I think it's better to play 0 after 5 tbh. Just play those 3 for sure though.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think Zero loses mechanics as you don't get the decision trees during missions

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

julian assflange posted:

I think Zero loses mechanics as you don't get the decision trees during missions

The Ace Style mechanic works similarly, leading to different ace squadron fights and plane unlocks instead of different missions. I really like that feature.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Evil Eagle posted:

The Ace Style mechanic works similarly, leading to different ace squadron fights and plane unlocks instead of different missions. I really like that feature.

Oh yeah I remember that was cool

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i wish they didn't gently caress up 3 when they brought it over cause i still thought it was cool as hell even chopped to bits.

the weird underground city/base mission was cool. i don't remember the game too well cause it was a long rear end time ago

i am very excited for a new entry in the series. hopefully there will be more planes than 5.

did anyone play infinity? i did for a bit but p2p is rear end

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was PS3 only so I didn't. The missions look like a best of collection inspired by the previous games it sounds cool

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I have a ps3 & 4 and I really enjoy games where I fly planes around and shoot things with my plane gun, are there any good videogames available with these things other than gta v? Preferably on psn so I don't actually have to talk to another human being

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've never played Ace Combat, but if it's full PSVR support and not just like a VR DLC or mission, I'll probably get it, because that sounds fun.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArtIsResistance posted:

I have a ps3 & 4 and I really enjoy games where I fly planes around and shoot things with my plane gun, are there any good videogames available with these things other than gta v? Preferably on psn so I don't actually have to talk to another human being

Ace Combat Infinity is a F2P game on the PS3. It's like a Best Of of the older games in terms of content but there is no campaign I think, just individual missions.

Not much otherwise, Ace Combat 6 was X360 exclusive

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

julian assflange posted:

It was PS3 only so I didn't. The missions look like a best of collection inspired by the previous games it sounds cool

the missions seem great until you realize that they are time limited to like... 4 minutes and it takes 8 hours to get a new play and you can get a max of 3. it's really bad but it satisfied the ace combat need for a little bit.

i thought i saw an early video of the vr on youtube and it looked awesome. basically the play is the same you can just look around the cockpit. very immersive.

is the psvr gonna drop in price though? i was under the impression it wasn't very popular.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my morning jackass posted:

is the psvr gonna drop in price though? i was under the impression it wasn't very popular.

Yoshida suggested that Its sold out or was almost everywhere for a long time at launch, at least in Europe. Sony always deal with actual sales rather than shipped so could be a bit longer before actual numbers go out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I heard 3 is getting fully translated this week. The original localization ditches half of the missions and all the branching paths and cutscenes so this might be cool.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is it being released on?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stuff like fan translation projects are usually just ROM patches for emulators

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Stuff like fan translation projects are usually just ROM patches for emulators

Reproduction carts with the patches applied are cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Reproduction carts with the patches applied are cool

Definitely. Also big ups to the truly dedicated indie devs who still publish shmups for the Dreamcast and such. With huge manuals and boxes for 200 dollars

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Definitely. Also big ups to the truly dedicated indie devs who still publish shmups for the Dreamcast and such. With huge manuals and boxes for 200 dollars

Yeah those are loving awesome. Gaming FTW

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

the dreamcast is so freakin win..

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PC version niggas!!! Also for bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpgwu-xpG5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can't loving wait

• Locked thread