Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

personally im a fan of godzilla '84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yay for awful American Godzilla movies that pressure Japan to make new better movies for their much better and longer lasting franchise.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla 1984, and the original are my next favorites. Though there's still a lot I need to see.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I've always liked Godzilla vs Hedorah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E284IfUyssc

Also Mothra Vs Godzilla (1964)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Godzilla 2014.

I love everything about it.

But I have only seen the original Japanese film (blind bought the criterion and do not regret it) and it's amazing. But I want to see more.

Never got to see Shin Godzilla though. Every day I had work off they weren't playing it. But they played it every day I had work so gently caress.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Biolante

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm a fan of Tokyo SOS ( because I love Captain Gordon :allears: ), and the 2002 Mechagodzilla that fights Gojira to a standstill.

Also, the first Mothra film with the english dubs. :3:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Godzilla Final Wars has a drill submarine and a fat western guy with a katana, clearly the best.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Maybe that's the one I'm thinking of with Captain Gordon. I thought it was the one right before it.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Yay for awful American Godzilla movies that pressure Japan to make new better movies for their much better and longer lasting franchise.

As a huge Godzilla fan I'm sorry to say you're a moron. 2014 Godzilla was a huge critical and commercial sucess.

Shin Godzilla isn't even in my top 5, that's how good Godzilla is.

Gamera is cool too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I actually like Gamera more than Godzilla. I'm that guy. :ssh:

Didn't care for either US godzilla movie though. Just... ugh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

As a huge Godzilla fan I'm sorry to say you're a moron. 2014 Godzilla was a huge critical and commercial sucess.

Shin Godzilla isn't even in my top 5, that's how good Godzilla is.

Gamera is cool too.

Godzilla 2014 is one of the worst movies Ive ever seen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was so bad that I remember trying to come on to this website to post about how upset I was that I had seen it, but I was probated, so I tweeted somebody my post so they could ghost write my anger for me. One of the ugliest, shittiest films I've ever seen.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Godzilla 2014 is one of the worst movies Ive ever seen

You must not have seen many movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch Suicide Squad

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Charles Get-Out posted:

Godzilla Final Wars has a drill submarine and a fat western guy with a katana, clearly the best.

It's shamelessly stupid and I love it to bits for it. Plus there's just like, so so many blink and miss it in-references.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Godzilla 2014, is great

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Choco1980 posted:

It's shamelessly stupid and I love it to bits for it. Plus there's just like, so so many blink and miss it in-references.

It's a wild ride from the start and the hyper-athletic anti-monster squad sealed the deal the first time I watched it.

Mister Macys posted:

I'm a fan of Tokyo SOS ( because I love Captain Gordon :allears: ), and the 2002 Mechagodzilla that fights Gojira to a standstill.

Also, the first Mothra film with the english dubs. :3:

Captain Gordon is apparently the Western dude from Final Wars, but it doesn't look like he was in Tokyo SOS, though they are packed together a bunch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
1. Shin Godzilla
2. Godzilla 2014
3. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

godzilla 2014 would have been fine if it had been a buddy cop movie about bryan cranston and ken watanabe

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
I'm a big Biollante guy

Shin Godzilla was EXTREMELY good, like, shockingly so. I think I just like Godzilla best when he's evil because it really is the best since the original imo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

godzilla 2014 would have been fine if it had been a buddy cop movie about bryan cranston and ken watanabe

Instead it's great

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's a wild ride from the start and the hyper-athletic anti-monster squad sealed the deal the first time I watched it.

Captain Gordon is apparently the Western dude from Final Wars, but it doesn't look like he was in Tokyo SOS, though they are packed together a bunch.

Yeah, it's just been a long time since I watched it, I confused the two.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shin Godzilla is the best of the series since the original 1954 Godzilla. My third place G movie is G vs Hedorah.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Watch Suicide Squad

NO DON'T

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I'm a big Biollante guy

Shin Godzilla was EXTREMELY good, like, shockingly so. I think I just like Godzilla best when he's evil because it really is the best since the original imo

What makes the original Godzilla and Shin Godzilla is that G isn't evil. It's the fact that it is a giant animal that doesn't give a gently caress about humanity, and not in a malicious way, but in the same way that you don't give a gently caress about ants.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Stairmaster posted:

Sigh, missed opportunities...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the story may be as dumb as godzilla is big, but g2014 is always worth watching (to me) for the visuals. Everything from the long-shot-of-parachuting-w/flares scene onward is lovely, and there's good stuff before too

i missed shin godzilla in theaters, hope it's available on iTunes or something before too long :(

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I really liked Godzilla 2014, fight me irl.

It was definitely flawed and having Blandy Blanderson as the protagonist didn't do it any favors, but I was very impressed with the monster designs and the destruction scenes. I actually prefer the small amount of screentime Godzilla got. I think it added to the tension for me.

But then, I also liked Pacific Rim a lot, so my taste in Kaiju movies is... perhaps spotty.

edit: More G 2014 love than I was expecting. plz don't fight me irl thank you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

emdash posted:

the story may be as dumb as godzilla is big, but g2014 is always worth watching (to me) for the visuals. Everything from the long-shot-of-parachuting-w/flares scene onward is lovely, and there's good stuff before too

i missed shin godzilla in theaters, hope it's available on iTunes or something before too long :(

Word is that the official english release will be out early next year if we're lucky. Really hoping it comes out sooner than that though, I really want to watch it again.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mary had a little clam posted:

I really liked Godzilla 2014, fight me irl.

It was definitely flawed and having Blandy Blanderson as the protagonist didn't do it any favors, but I was very impressed with the monster designs and the destruction scenes. I actually prefer the small amount of screentime Godzilla got. I think it added to the tension for me.

But then, I also liked Pacific Rim a lot, so my taste in Kaiju movies is... perhaps spotty.

edit: More G 2014 love than I was expecting. plz don't fight me irl thank you

As far as Godzilla protaginists go he's not even in the running for worst or most boring. At least he's directly involved with the Kaiju during the movie which I appreciated.

I'm glad we have a fourm where you can talk about Pacific Rim without people tripping over each other to tell you it's fascist, despite every movie Del Toro makes having fascists as the villans. It's really good.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What makes the original Godzilla and Shin Godzilla is that G isn't evil. It's the fact that it is a giant animal that doesn't give a gently caress about humanity, and not in a malicious way, but in the same way that you don't give a gently caress about ants.

Oh yeah, I more meant in the "he's the antagonist" sense. Shin Godzilla did a particularly great job of keeping the "god" in godzilla, especially with the music

I'm not a godzilla 2014 guy. I think the trailers' promises of Bryan Cranston plus an actual scary Godzilla led to disappointment from Johnny Marine and Godzilla Friend to All Children. I know Godzilla has been a good guy for decades but those trailers were looking to make an INCREDIBLE "angry force of nature" Godzilla film a la Shin Godzilla, and ended up culminating in everyone applauding Godzilla as he lumbered back into the sea

DoctorG0nzo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 5, 2016

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
It's King Kong Vs. Godzilla.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Bob James posted:

It's King Kong Vs. Godzilla.

This gif should include the next few seconds where Godzilla shoots the tree back at King Kong like a missile.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

Final Wars is completely psychotic and I love it

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm going to have to go with Biollante because I've always felt that at some point movie monsters should have to fight a plant.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I really like the fact that we got to have a super-hero Godzilla movie practically back to back with a horrific-force-of-nature/MANS-HUBRIS! Godzilla movie.

I also loved that each movie had a very unique looking Godzilla that different significantly from the mostly standardized designs for the character, and that we actually got to see some fun giant monster fights in the 2014 film.

I really loved Shin, and I think depicting Godzilla as a huge uncaring personification of some primal force is cool and all but sometimes you just want to see some monsters fight and blow poo poo up and puke fire down the throats of their enemies until they explode from the inside.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Bob Quixote posted:

I really loved Shin, and I think depicting Godzilla as a huge uncaring personification of some primal force is cool and all but sometimes you just want to see some monsters fight and blow poo poo up and puke fire down the throats of their enemies until they explode from the inside.

Obstentially it's good that we got both. However it'd be better imo if Godzilla 2014 had more of that instead of teasing poo poo constantly

Like if you're going all out on superhero godzilla give him to us. Don't go for the dicktease monster tactics ("IT'S JUST LIKE JAWS" scream the nerds) unless you're trying to build dread, which definitely didn't fit the unambiguously heroic zilla we got

I feel like the tone of that movie directing-wise did not fit the script

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Obstentially it's good that we got both. However it'd be better imo if Godzilla 2014 had more of that instead of teasing poo poo constantly

Like if you're going all out on superhero godzilla give him to us. Don't go for the dicktease monster tactics ("IT'S JUST LIKE JAWS" scream the nerds) unless you're trying to build dread, which definitely didn't fit the unambiguously heroic zilla we got

I feel like the tone of that movie directing-wise did not fit the script

I don't know, to me it felt like it had pretty much the same ratio of Godzilla doing rad poo poo to regular human crap that you'd get from the average movie in the series. Particularly when you got to the later films and the special effects got more expensive to put onscreen than just having someone in a pretty ratty Godzilla suit whale on Megalon for a while in an empty studio backlot.

Also, while I didn't give a crap about the main soldier guy character, I did enjoy the fact that there are a lot of scenes in the movie which mix the human POV with the monsters. In a lot of the older films you never really got a sense for the scale that the scenes were taking place in.

That bit on the bridge where the train gets wrecked by the MUTOs was pretty great, and the bit where all those soldiers on the roof of that hotel in Hawaii are firing their guns at Godzilla and then one by one just stop when they realize how utterly useless it is was is a good dark comedy chuckle.

The part where the scene cut away from where Godzilla is about to confront the flying MUTO in Hawaii and then you see the little kid watching it on TV got a pretty big laugh at the theater showing I'd went to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

I can understand your points and agree it's a well executed movie in most ways. But I feel like part of the appeal of a modern big budget Godzilla was in getting huge beautifully rendered fight scenes or city destruction scenes, and we only got one murky and dark though admittedly cool one. Budget issues could be a possibility but imo if Del Toro's grand autistic anime dream that is pacific rim got like 4 really solid fight scenes in (plus a bunch of little ones the length of the average Godzilla 2014 tease) then they probably could've swung it money-wise in this big tentpole

I think I also felt the length/length of action due to the blandness of the protagonist. Doesn't help that his standard motive (SAVE MY FAMILY) combined with the fact that he often just saw aftermaths of big attacks (if I remember correctly) often made it feel like a generic day after tomorrow type movie

• Locked thread