Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
People always think they want longer fight scenes but they drag on when you actually get them. Frankly, if I had to guess I'd say that both 2014 and Shin had similar amounts of monster screen time, especially if you count the scenes with the MUTOs and don't count the scenes where Shin isn't moving or doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also the english acting is hilariously bad in Shin. Those bomber pilots are some of the boredest sounding actors I've ever heard.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i only ever loved monster zero as a child

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
I think Shin didn't get me as bad just cause they didn't like, coyly tease Godzilla like "haha oh, you loving WISH you could see more of this badass poo poo but AHAHAHAHA the big bunker doors are closing" plus I just enjoyed the political plot more

English acting was deffo hilarious tho

Also I don't wanna harp on this too much more. Too many forums are already soaked in blood from bitch fests about Godzilla 2014. I agree to disagree

But let's agree Godzilla vs Biollante is loving rad

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

DoctorG0nzo posted:

But let's agree Godzilla vs Biollante is loving rad

Oh, no doubt - it was one of the first ones that I ever saw when I was a little kid and we rented it from the local video store. Biollante has a kickass monster design along with the most hilariously convoluted origin that makes it sound like someones Deviantart OC kaiju if you tried to explain it out loud to a non-Godzilla fan.

I remember seeing 85 next and that scene with the guy getting killed by the huge mutated sea louse haunted kid-me for ages.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I have a hard time deciding what my favorite, or the best, Godzilla movie is, but I can say definitively that Godzilla's Revenge is the worst. Not counting that Matthew Broderick one in that list though.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

I don't get why people call 2014 Godzilla heroic. The MUTOs were the only sympathetic characters.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Asking for more giant monster action is how you get things like Final Wars.

What I'm saying is please can we have more giant monster action?

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Choco1980 posted:

Asking for more giant monster action is how you get things like Final Wars.

What I'm saying is please can we have more giant monster action?

Only if you have Don Frye play lead.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bob Quixote posted:

Oh, no doubt - it was one of the first ones that I ever saw when I was a little kid and we rented it from the local video store. Biollante has a kickass monster design along with the most hilariously convoluted origin that makes it sound like someones Deviantart OC kaiju if you tried to explain it out loud to a non-Godzilla fan.

I remember seeing 85 next and that scene with the guy getting killed by the huge mutated sea louse haunted kid-me for ages.

gvb is loving convoluted as all hell and its wonderful

but the soundtrack isn't as good as 84

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zartosht posted:

I don't get why people call 2014 Godzilla heroic. The MUTOs were the only sympathetic characters.

Probably because Godzilla was the hero and the MUTOs had destroyed several cities and killed Bryan Cranston.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

gvb is loving convoluted as all hell and its wonderful

but the soundtrack isn't as good as 84

Agree to disagree on that one, 84's music is one of my only problems with it.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I can understand your points and agree it's a well executed movie in most ways. But I feel like part of the appeal of a modern big budget Godzilla was in getting huge beautifully rendered fight scenes or city destruction scenes, and we only got one murky and dark though admittedly cool one. Budget issues could be a possibility but imo if Del Toro's grand autistic anime dream that is pacific rim got like 4 really solid fight scenes in (plus a bunch of little ones the length of the average Godzilla 2014 tease) then they probably could've swung it money-wise in this big tentpole

I think I also felt the length/length of action due to the blandness of the protagonist. Doesn't help that his standard motive (SAVE MY FAMILY) combined with the fact that he often just saw aftermaths of big attacks (if I remember correctly) often made it feel like a generic day after tomorrow type movie

the human parts of 2014 were somewhat dull yeah but i didn't mind because the human parts in most godzilla films are also somewhat dull

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The most greatest and most misleading poster ever made:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The only ones I've ever seen are the original and Rodan

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Probably because Godzilla was the hero and the MUTOs had destroyed several cities and killed Bryan Cranston.

:jerkbag: Damage to puny human cities is irrelevant. The MUTOs just wanted to start a family and live their lives man, Godzilla was just a territorial bully. Being on humanity's side doesn't make him a hero. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnKETQsSNI

:3:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
biollante you numbnuts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The MUTOs were very cute, yes

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I love the 2002 Mechagodzilla to death, even though there's really no defending it — the human drama is pure cliché, the characters are almost uniformly awful, and it's one of those movies that insists on treating the most ridiculous concepts and situations with tight-lipped solemnity — but it just works for me somehow. The FX are pretty good, the music's great, and the idea that MG is another unwilling victim of mankind's foolishness is actually kind of touching. Also, the pre-title sequence loving rules and is one of my favorite things from any Godzilla movie ever. I once watched this with a bunch of people who don't really give a poo poo about Godzilla and only two of them fell asleep! Easily my favorite behind the original and Shin, too bad the sequel's not nearly as good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what's that in the water???

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Stairmaster posted:

Death poo.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the original is the best

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

My friend and yours, Hedorah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The guy who directed Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster was working on an short film called Godzilla 3D To The Max before Godzilla 2014 came out. He was either a producer or executive producer on '14.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

My friend and yours, Hedorah

Anyone who pollutes the water isn't my friend.

Anguirus always has better weed anyway.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think mothra is still the number #1 bro

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Stairmaster posted:

I think mothra is still the number #1 bro

If you wanna drink craft beers and play Cards Against Humanity you call Mothra. If you wanna throw singles at strippers and roll dice in an alley you call Rodan.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
keep that Jet Jaguar guy away, talk about a total loving weirdo. Did you see what he tried doing to Rodan's car after that one party on Monster Island? SHAMEFUL.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

keep that Jet Jaguar guy away, talk about a total loving weirdo. Did you see what he tried doing to Rodan's car after that one party on Monster Island? SHAMEFUL.

Yeah man, and it was such a sick Monte Carlo too, poor Rodan

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Anyone who pollutes the water isn't my friend.

Anguirus always has better weed anyway.

Hedorah is the only kaiju that takes huge bongrips on film

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lmao

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The guy who directed Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster was working on an short film called Godzilla 3D To The Max before Godzilla 2014 came out. He was either a producer or executive producer on '14.

Yeah. What's funny is up until that point, the exec producer on the Godzilla films had always been on hand to make sure things went how he wanted them to. He got sick, and had to go to the hospital. The director was all "don't worry, we'll be fiiiiiine". Then the guy recovered and saw the film, and after seeing the jet-engine flight sequence pretty much blackballed the guy from ever directing again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tenzarin posted:

Yay for awful American Godzilla movies that pressure Japan to make new better movies for their much better and longer lasting franchise.

I love Godzilla 2000 and its dub.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Monster Zero is about defeating aliens with an electric rape whistle, mainly. It's kind of perfect as a fun old Godzilla movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

where the gently caress is the bluray????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Stairmaster posted:

where the gently caress is the bluray????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It's the fault of Gorosaurus, sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how can i see shin godzilla

• Locked thread