Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if you build it(a nuclear power plant) he will come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Liked Shin Godzilla in general.
English voice acting is horrible as it usually is, and they needed to stop using That Song from evangelion with 20 different minor adjustments. Doing it once should have been enough to troll fanboys.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Stairmaster posted:

if you build it(a nuclear power plant) he will come

My grandma had to leave her house because of 3 Mile Island, thanks a bunch Godzilla

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Empress Brosephine posted:

how can i see shin godzilla

start at the ankle and go up

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Son of Godzilla is a really goofy and fun little movie

Anywho Godzilla VS King Ghidorah is one of my top 3 old school Godzilla movies, and Final Wars is my favorite newer movie.

(Also I have a huge soft spot for Gigan, what a goofy design with the chainsaw tummy)

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I don't remember anything about the movie quality, but Destroyah was my favorite monster as a kid.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i wish theyd make a new godzilla fighting game. destroy all monsters melee ruled.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i wish theyd make a new godzilla fighting game. destroy all monsters melee ruled.

Same as hell

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Godzilla '14 is okay but i wouldn't rank it in my top ten

Plus the fact that Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson were married in the movie and brother/sister in Age of Ultron kinda weirded me out

Also i loved Satomi Ishihara and her bad, stilted english

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Auritech posted:

Plus the fact that Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson were married in the movie and brother/sister in Age of Ultron kinda weirded me out

Reminds me of seeing jeremy renner and Amy Adams in Arrival and thinking 'why is hawkeye hanging out with Lois lane'

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 12, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haven't seen Shin godzilla yet because the trailer made it look more miserable and dreary than frightening. 2014 godzilla had amazing trailers that only told half of the film but the other half was a bore. My favourite is godzilla vs king ghidorah, with all the time travel and robots and the old guy feeling he has a connection with big G because a dinosaur saved him in ww2.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Shin Godzilla is actually really funny

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

godzilla 2014 would hve been 100% better if it was just th first and last act and if crazy bryan cranston had been th e main character instead of his boring idiot son. also if godzilla had gotten into more fights because the fights he ws in were badass but were also five minutes of a 150 minute movie

anyway i fuckin love king of monsters, godzilla 2000, and godzilla v. mechagodzilla, havent seen shin godzilla yet but i'm very pumped

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The audience in my theater whooped when 2014 Godzilla loving owned the last monster with the mouth beam

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's one of my all time favorite audience moments. Seeing that blue light rise up from the clouds, audience going "ohh poo poo" and then zaaaaaap.

Everyone clapped.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also just an FYI Godzilla 85 aka Godzilla Returns last I checked is available now on bluray from amazon. The international cut without the dumbass Raymond Burr/Dr Pepper cut. As far as I know thats a first for the north america market.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
behead those who insult raymond burr

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Raymond himself wasnt it bad it was just the other 90% of the edit

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

fair

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wasn't that cut produced in part by Roger Corman?

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

shin godzilla? whats next, elbow king-kong? 😂

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
Hi I like Godzilla 1998 and I am not ashamed.

I also prefer Gamera to Godzilla. Kneel before me, plebeians. :smugdog:

However if I were to pick a Godzilla movie beyond the '98 classic is the original 1956 version and every Mothra movie ever.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Nazgul posted:

Hi I like Godzilla 1998 and I am not ashamed.

I also prefer Gamera to Godzilla. Kneel before me, plebeians. :smugdog:

However if I were to pick a Godzilla movie beyond the '98 classic is the original 1956 version and every Mothra movie ever.

sounds like youre a fuckin hipster.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I love all giant monsters but some are significantly better than others

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Did I mention I buy vinyl cuz it sounds warmer

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Until I saw Shin Godzilla, my favorite Godzilla movie was Final Wars.

"Listen, kid. There's two things you didn't know about the Earth. One of em's me... And the other's Godzilla."
*epic Godzilla roar*

Evil Japanese guy goes NOOOOO and Bruce Campbell cameos to say, ah, yeah, a little overacting is one thing but you're ruining it for everybody.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Kong: Skull Island ended up being pretty loving tight, by the way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pneub posted:

Kong: Skull Island ended up being pretty loving tight, by the way.

Yeah, it was pretty loving good

That stinger

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

John C Reilly wielding his katana ftw

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
for your health

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Godzilla (2014) is the best Godzilla movie

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Shaggar posted:

Godzilla (2014) is the best Godzilla movie

nah

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no boring rear end fights between dudes in rubber suits so its a big step up from traditional Godzilla.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Shaggar posted:

theres no boring rear end fights between dudes in rubber suits so its a big step up from traditional Godzilla.

counterpoint: rubber suit fights are a lot more interesting and charming than the movie where Godzilla spends 60% of his screen time doing nothing but roaring or swooping his tail around

honestly the movie isn't really even about him so I'm not sure how it can be the best godzilla movie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the lack of fights in Godzilla (2014) makes the ending far more satisfying. Constant fights gets you snoozefests like Pacific Rim.

Godzilla (2014) is still about Godzilla, but its also more about how Humanity (and specifically individual humans) are insignificant.

Its also got the halo drop which is just a great scene and if you didn't see it in theaters you really missed out.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Shaggar posted:

the lack of fights in Godzilla (2014) makes the ending far more satisfying. Constant fights gets you snoozefests like Pacific Rim.

Godzilla (2014) is still about Godzilla, but its also more about how Humanity (and specifically individual humans) are insignificant.

Its also got the halo drop which is just a great scene and if you didn't see it in theaters you really missed out.

Pacific Rim was boring, yeah, but the older Godzilla movies usually didn't have overly-long fights and the fights that they did have were very creative. the final fight scene of G'14 is definitely very good but it's a long slog to get there

Godzilla is the third-most important monster in the movie, which makes it seem more like a sequel than a remake that's substantively about him though

HALO drop was a cool scene but I'm not sure why the soldiers didn't just take bikes into the city honestly. would probably have been faster and less hazardous.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they probably wanted to get there some time before the fight ended. I like that Godzilla is just there doing his thing and the story is about the humans scrambling to figure out whats going on and what or if they can or should do anything about it.

I also really like that the soldier dude is the most boring average dude possible cause it fits perfectly in a story about how average boring dudes are disposable and cant really change much in the grand scheme of things. Like the scene where he shows up at the staging area where they're getting the bomb ready and hes all "I'm a bomb squad guy, you've gotta take me on this bomb mission!" and the sergeant is like "well no this is litterrally the bomb squad so we're all also bomb squad guys. This is the us military, we've got lots of us." but then they take him anyways cause it doesn't hurt to have one more for redundancy. Not because he has any unique skills. Its totally logical. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shaggar did you see shin Godzilla?

• Locked thread