Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I really like the fact that we got to have a super-hero Godzilla movie practically back to back with a horrific-force-of-nature/MANS-HUBRIS! Godzilla movie.

I also loved that each movie had a very unique looking Godzilla that different significantly from the mostly standardized designs for the character, and that we actually got to see some fun giant monster fights in the 2014 film.

I really loved Shin, and I think depicting Godzilla as a huge uncaring personification of some primal force is cool and all but sometimes you just want to see some monsters fight and blow poo poo up and puke fire down the throats of their enemies until they explode from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Obstentially it's good that we got both. However it'd be better imo if Godzilla 2014 had more of that instead of teasing poo poo constantly

Like if you're going all out on superhero godzilla give him to us. Don't go for the dicktease monster tactics ("IT'S JUST LIKE JAWS" scream the nerds) unless you're trying to build dread, which definitely didn't fit the unambiguously heroic zilla we got

I feel like the tone of that movie directing-wise did not fit the script

I don't know, to me it felt like it had pretty much the same ratio of Godzilla doing rad poo poo to regular human crap that you'd get from the average movie in the series. Particularly when you got to the later films and the special effects got more expensive to put onscreen than just having someone in a pretty ratty Godzilla suit whale on Megalon for a while in an empty studio backlot.

Also, while I didn't give a crap about the main soldier guy character, I did enjoy the fact that there are a lot of scenes in the movie which mix the human POV with the monsters. In a lot of the older films you never really got a sense for the scale that the scenes were taking place in.

That bit on the bridge where the train gets wrecked by the MUTOs was pretty great, and the bit where all those soldiers on the roof of that hotel in Hawaii are firing their guns at Godzilla and then one by one just stop when they realize how utterly useless it is was is a good dark comedy chuckle.

The part where the scene cut away from where Godzilla is about to confront the flying MUTO in Hawaii and then you see the little kid watching it on TV got a pretty big laugh at the theater showing I'd went to.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DoctorG0nzo posted:

But let's agree Godzilla vs Biollante is loving rad

Oh, no doubt - it was one of the first ones that I ever saw when I was a little kid and we rented it from the local video store. Biollante has a kickass monster design along with the most hilariously convoluted origin that makes it sound like someones Deviantart OC kaiju if you tried to explain it out loud to a non-Godzilla fan.

I remember seeing 85 next and that scene with the guy getting killed by the huge mutated sea louse haunted kid-me for ages.

• Locked thread