Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Like it says, I just got my first non-hand me down TV and I am ready to have my balls blown clear off by some huge rear end explosions, constant gunfire, and maybe a car crashing into other cars. I am not really looking for quality moves here, I just want stuff that will make me be like "drat, this poo poo is way better then having $500".

Last night I watched "Specter" and while it was cool, I spent too much time lost in the wonder of Daniel Craig's skin pores and not enough time gripping my nuts in sheer amazement over what I was looking at.

I got like netflix, hulu, and prime, but will rent a more recent one if it is really gonna rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anything made since the era of digital filming will show your TV's screen at its best, but you can't go wrong with the classics, like T2, The Indiana Jones Quadrilogy, Black Hawk motherfucking Down, etc.

Mad Max: Fury Road is one I actually bought on Blu-Ray, because I wanted the best quality (especially since streaming is kind of meh on smoke/particles).
Furious 7 is absolutely ridiculous fun. The very definition of "over the top". It's what those GI Joe live action films should've been.

If you're into anime, watch Redline. It's kind of a science fiction R-rated Wacky Races.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 5, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a decent print of Bad Boys these days? If so, Bad Boys.

E: Point Break still owns really hard, too, but may not have enough action for your requirement. Maybe Hard Boiled will sort that itch.

Magnus The Red
Oct 25, 2010

Russ is kind of a dick.
Jason Statham movies are a good bet: Crank, The Transporter, The Mechanic, Death Race, lots of fisticuffs in those as well. The Expendables are recent explody shooty films.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Pacific Rim is literally made for big HD tvs and it's the best at "WOW" action moments.

The newest Godzilla also works. E: The Hollywood one that poeople hate, but it has cool big monsters fighting in good expensive effects.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 5, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
John Wick is great on a nice TV, the club scene especially.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if your TV will take much advantage of it but if it's got decent sound, The Raid (and Raid 2, though it's not quite as good) has some viscerally brutal hits that really pop on a nice system.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Man with Hat posted:

Pacific Rim is literally made for big HD tvs and it's the best at "WOW" action moments.

The newest Godzilla also works. E: The Hollywood one that poeople hate, but it has cool big monsters fighting in good expensive effects.

All good suggestions, but this is what I am looking for. Of course I will re-watch all the classics, but I want some new poo poo that will take advantage of my jump into modern tech.

And yea, I also got an ok sound bar to go with it. Our dumb tv room has sloped walls so it's lower then it wants to be, but it's still loud and bassy enough that the dog gave me a lovely look when I fired it up for the first time.

Today I think I will watch the Mission Impossible movies as I have never been able to sit through them on like my monitor.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

E: Point Break still owns really hard, too

I already said Fast & Furious :downsrim:

(seriously, it's the exact same movie, with a different extreme sport)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Freaking Kill Zone 2 ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iah3S6lCPvI

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Cant think of any.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Space Mutiny

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The correct answer would be COBRA

http://i.imgur.com/ObyU790.gif

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You guys are the best, I am so loving into explosions right now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Point Break looks awesome on blu ray and you can get it for like $5 usually

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Scorpion King

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Someone already mentioned it but you won't get a better answer than Fury Road. Its got jaw-dropping action scenes and its also totally saturated in really vivid colors that will blow your mind with how sharp they are on blu ray.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought i read that the higher definition especially 4k makes fury road look bad because you can clearly make out all the CG fire etc

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

i thought i read that the higher definition especially 4k makes fury road look bad because you can clearly make out all the CG fire etc

I've not seen it in 4k but at regular 1080p I think it looks fantastic, and I sit fairly close to the screen.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Totall Recall is great on blu ray. All those squibs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Someone already mentioned it but you won't get a better answer than Fury Road.

wrong because I said Point Break

also I was surprised at how good The Road Warrior looked when I watched it on blu ray instead of VHS and that one's def better than Fury Road

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I suppose being able to see Gary Busey make ridiculous faces in glorious 1080p would be pretty awesome.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
lol come on guys, it is 2016, I ain't buying physical poo poo anymore. Streaming or bust.

We watched Terminator:Genysis (or however they spelled it) last night. It was decent but far far too much chatting and not enough rear end kicking. Are any of the other two (like no T1 or T2) worth watching?

Palpek posted:

Scorpion King

gently caress yea, I had forgotten all about these movies.

My wife is really displeased and cannot understand why I am no longer pumped to watch like bbc costume dramas anymore. Maybe she just needs to see more more high def explosions?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Hard Boiled is the only action film you need.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Hard Boiled is the only action film you need.

I remember liking "the Killer" better but yes, I need some hong kong action in my life.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

lol come on guys, it is 2016, I ain't buying physical poo poo anymore. Streaming or bust.

We watched Terminator:Genysis (or however they spelled it) last night. It was decent but far far too much chatting and not enough rear end kicking. Are any of the other two (like no T1 or T2) worth watching?

Three is the weakest of the franchise, and the Christian Bale one is better than Genysis. I put it above T1, but below T2.

Yeah, I went there. :colbert:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

bongwizzard posted:

I remember liking "the Killer" better but yes, I need some hong kong action in my life.

Better than The Killer imo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Point Blank, the one with Lee Marvin.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Last Boyscout is the best action movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if your TV will take much advantage of it but if it's got decent sound, The Raid (and Raid 2, though it's not quite as good) has some viscerally brutal hits that really pop on a nice system.
Also Dredd

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

This is a good post. Basically the Raid 1 with less kung fu knifing and more big guns.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Guys it is time to admit something kinda shameful:

I cannot stand Sylvester Stallone and it is almost impossible for me to make myself watch any movie he is in. Even "First Blood" and "Rocky" are only barely watchable and I honestly think any reasonably skilled actor could have replaced him. He is so wooden and bad. Completely without charm.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're just not watching the right Stallone movies.

His best one is Demolition Man.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
He's really charming in Creed

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The perverts guide to ideology.

And Aliens.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mister Macys posted:

You're just not watching the right Stallone movies.

His best one is Demolition Man.
Also Judge Dredd. While I enjoyed the new Dredd a lot it was a bit funny to see Karl Urban visibly force Dredd's characteristic mouth grimace while it's Stallone's default facial expression.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hardcore Henry

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Everyone who claims a stallone movie is a better watch than first blood I just can't help. Op is just not a stallone fan then, that is fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

Also Judge Dredd. While I enjoyed the new Dredd a lot it was a bit funny to see Karl Urban visibly force Dredd's characteristic mouth grimace while it's Stallone's default facial expression.

Taking his helmet off isn't canon. :arghfist::saddowns:

(Stallone insisted, while Karl just went with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I want to like the guy, but he has like anti-charisma.

While not strictly action movies, Crackle has all three of the "Smokie and the Bandit" movies right now.

• Locked thread