Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Here's a place to discuss all your favorite video games based on comic books, whether feature realistic web swinging or not!

Notable recent-ish games:

Arkham Series: I believe this is the most successful recent superhero game, and certainly the most notable one featuring Batman. Features a lot of returning talent from TAS, popularized the freeflow combat system, and went way too crazy with riddler challenges by Arkham Knight. Main series includes Asylum, City, Origins, and Knight. Also has a couple of spin-offs called Arkham Origins: Blackgate and Arkham VR.

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Fighting game for the DC Universe by Neatherrealm (who also do the MK series). Fighters include obvious choices like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Joker, and Lex, and also some lesser known characters like Grundy, Raven, and Killer Frost.

Batman: The Telltale Series: Telltale applies their usual formula to the Batman universe, emphasizing detective work and Bruce Wayne's social life. Features some unique twists on classic characters like the Penguin

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: The third in the Marvel vs Capcom series, featuring 3 on 3 battles. Includes characters like Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Ryu, Morrigan, Tron Bonne, and Chris Redfield for some reason. Just got announced to be remastered for PS4, with Xbox One and PC versions coming in March 2017

The Wolf Among Us: Based on the Fables comics and made by Telltale. Focuses on the Big Bad Wolf as he navigates a film noir plot with fairy tale characters.

The Walking Dead Season's 1 and 2: Based on The Walking Dead comics, focusing on an original group of characters. Put Telltale on the map as the surprise video game hit of 2012.

Other games that came out: Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Deadpool, Marvel Heroes, DC Universe Online, The Darkness 1 & 2 and a bunch of mobile games I don't know anything about.

Upcoming Games:

Spider-Man for PS4: Developed by Insomniac and published by Sony, this will be coming out sometime in 2017, and will apparently be the starting point for a shared universe of Marvel games.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R2uvJqWeVg

Injustice 2: Sequel to Injustice, coming to PS4 and Xbox One in 2017. This time, there's a loot system to customize your fighters, and thus far the confirmed cast is: Batman, Superman, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Gorilla Grodd, Atrocitus, Flash, Aquaman, and Blue Beetle. Doctor Fate and Captain Cold are heavily rumored.

Announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0WA6yIZ7I
Gameplay reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p50qZNiRfa8
Wonder Woman and Blue Beetle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptBnTlqrlc
Harley and Deadshot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSpIKf0CdWc

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite: Just recently announced for PS4 and PC in 2017. This time, it will have two on two combat, no assists, and has the Infinity Stones as a gameplay mechanic. Confirmed so far are: Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Ryu, Megaman X, Captain America, and Morrigan. A character cloaked in shadows at the end is not entirely clear on the identity just yet.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...ity-stones.aspx

This article confirms that X-Men and Fantastic Four aren't necessarily being outright abandoned as was rumored.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVolJ3L15lM
Extended Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEa9Tz8dXH4

Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: Another game that was just recently announced. Reportedly coming out in 2017 for home consoles, PC, and mobile devices. Little else is known.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koy_e_ipwng

The Walking Dead: Season 3: The latest in The Walking Dead series by Telltale that was also just recently announced, for the usual suspects of of platforms that Telltale releases their games on.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgXqmVMFTWY

Other games:

There's a lot of really good comic book games that I didn't mention, simply because of sheer volume. Such as Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, the Turok games, Shadowman, the X-Men arcade game, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. The list goes on. Feel free to name your favorite comic book game that wasn't given a whole lot of focus in the op, and I'll edit it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It should be noted Injustice 2's release date is a bit up in the air because it's being hit by the voice actor strike, for WB Games being evil.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Looking forward to the inevitable but crushing disappointment when it turns out Cyclops isn't in the new MvC game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

It should be noted Injustice 2's release date is a bit up in the air because it's being hit by the voice actor strike, for WB Games being evil.
The Spiderman game is also probably getting hit due to Insomniac being evil which is sad since that is one of the companies that got me into video games with the Ratchet and Clank games.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
GOTG and TWD aren't, though.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 5, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

The Spiderman game is also probably getting hit due to Insomniac being evil which is sad since that is one of the companies that got me into video games with the Ratchet and Clank games.

If they're using union actors.

Only 1/4 of productions do. Injustice has just specifically been mentioned as affected.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Do you have any more infor on this? On the working conditions of WB games that is. I don't mind injustice being delayed as long as the voice actors get decent working conditions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McCloud posted:

Do you have any more infor on this? On the working conditions of WB games that is. I don't mind injustice being delayed as long as the voice actors get decent working conditions.

There's no specific info on individual publishers. Evil was just a joke, WB is probably not any worse than most. It's just that conditions for voice actors kind of suck overall.

The main issues in the strike are residual pay, and safety. Voice actors don't currently get any kind of performance bonuses, and often don't even get told what the game they're working on is. And there are issues with vocal damage from some kinds of recording sessions, mostly the scream/grunt/etc. fill-in sounds.

Some games with strike targeted publishers are in the clear though. I guess maybe because the developers of these games give the actors better conditions? Like the Lego and Batman games are fine, but some other WB stuff isn't. EA's on the strike list, but Andromeda is okay.

But also like I mentioned this union only represents about 1/4 of the industry. Some games are just continuing with non-union actors.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gaz-L posted:

GOTG and TWD aren't, though.

Telltale almost always use their own in-house team or whatever, don't they?

Eitherway, yeah, not looking forward to this new season of TWD. The Telltale creative seem to have 2 separate teams; one for comedy and one for tragedy. And their comedy team is much, much, much more competent than the other one. The comedy adds heart and warmth, and it's no surprise to me that the games with the least amount of these (TWD season 2, Game of Thrones) are also the least entertaining ones with the worst writing.

Guardians though, if that just ends up being Tales from the Borderlands Season 2 I'll be over the moon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also that the team behind TWD1 isnt there anymore, 2 became Clems very very bad and poo poo day

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like the presence of comedy also mitigates a lot of the complaints with the format of Telltale games. Like, if a certain decision doesn't affect the plot one way or the other, but leads to a really funny joke (blow his mind), it's fine, because you got a really funny joke out of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Telltale almost always use their own in-house team or whatever, don't they?

That seems likely, yeah. The exceptions to the strike probably do in-house VA work with better conditions.

If you look up the list you'll see a lot of studios use 3rd party VA facilities based on the names.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know how to feel about the Telltale Batman game. I guess my main complaint is it's yet another sort of origin story, with all the villains having their first encounters with Batman. I've seen these stories a million times already, I would've loved to play a more established Batman having a brand new adventure. And since I know how the story's going to go, I keep feeling like my choices aren't real choices. There was a point where you have to give evidence to either the press or Jim Gordon, and if I was making my own choices in a story without baggage I would've definitely gone to the press with this, but since I knew Gordon would be Batman's friend in the future, I chose him. Which is really weird and doesn't happen in other "make some choices" type games. Similarly, I'm wary of anything Harvey Dent asks me to do because I know he's gonna go crazy.

Also Batman's drones make me wonder why he isn't just Droneman, the hero who fights crime remotely.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's more to do with stakes and expectations. With comedy, you're not expecting there to be the risk of death or real stakes, so any that do occur, are surprising. With tragedy, you're expecting the stakes to be high, so when you can see the strings of the puppet show, it robs it of some of the tension, if you were invested in the puppets being 'alive'.

In this case, the strings are knowing that you influence the character arcs more than the plot. Though Minecraft and Batman seem to be experimenting a bit with branching paths.

EDIT: With regards to the Batman one, I think they're counting on the meta-game. The Joker's appearance is entirely based around that.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Or drones could easily act like a cloud of bats so he could continue to be Batman but barely ever leave the Batcave.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like the presence of comedy also mitigates a lot of the complaints with the format of Telltale games. Like, if a certain decision doesn't affect the plot one way or the other, but leads to a really funny joke (blow his mind), it's fine, because you got a really funny joke out of it.

Blow His Mind and Break His Heart was were TftB won me over without reservation. It was probably my favourite part of the entire game up until Chapter 4 happened, where I just couldn't stop giggling like a maniac.

If the same creative team (Pierre Shorette, Adam Hines, Nick Herman et al) are still tickling their goofy space-opera funnybone for Guardians I can only imagine what we'll get.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Blow His Mind and Break His Heart was were TftB won me over without reservation. It was probably my favourite part of the entire game up until Chapter 4 happened, where I just couldn't stop giggling like a maniac.

If the same creative team (Pierre Shorette, Adam Hines, Nick Herman et al) are still tickling their goofy space-opera funnybone for Guardians I can only imagine what we'll get.

I promise a section where you're controlling Groot in a tense conversation situation and all 4 options are...a) I AM GROOT or b) normal but he still says I AM GROOT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I promise a section where you're controlling Groot in a tense conversation situation and all 4 options are...a) I AM GROOT or b) normal but he still says I AM GROOT

And then the little message at the top says [!] I am Groot

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

And then the little message at the top says [!] I am Groot

:golfclap:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Telltale Batman finished this week, in a surprisingly punctual fashion for TTG. I think this might be the first of their games not to have a massive delay.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know how to feel about the Telltale Batman game. I guess my main complaint is it's yet another sort of origin story, with all the villains having their first encounters with Batman. I've seen these stories a million times already, I would've loved to play a more established Batman having a brand new adventure. And since I know how the story's going to go, I keep feeling like my choices aren't real choices. There was a point where you have to give evidence to either the press or Jim Gordon, and if I was making my own choices in a story without baggage I would've definitely gone to the press with this, but since I knew Gordon would be Batman's friend in the future, I chose him. Which is really weird and doesn't happen in other "make some choices" type games. Similarly, I'm wary of anything Harvey Dent asks me to do because I know he's gonna go crazy.

Also Batman's drones make me wonder why he isn't just Droneman, the hero who fights crime remotely.

In a more ambitious game, it would have been nice if you could have prevented him from becoming Two-Face or succumbing to "Big Bad Harv" entirely.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Disappointing to see Spider-Man Cartoon Maker snubbed in the OP.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aphrodite posted:

There's no specific info on individual publishers. Evil was just a joke, WB is probably not any worse than most. It's just that conditions for voice actors kind of suck overall.

The main issues in the strike are residual pay, and safety. Voice actors don't currently get any kind of performance bonuses, and often don't even get told what the game they're working on is. And there are issues with vocal damage from some kinds of recording sessions, mostly the scream/grunt/etc. fill-in sounds.

Some games with strike targeted publishers are in the clear though. I guess maybe because the developers of these games give the actors better conditions? Like the Lego and Batman games are fine, but some other WB stuff isn't. EA's on the strike list, but Andromeda is okay.

But also like I mentioned this union only represents about 1/4 of the industry. Some games are just continuing with non-union actors.

I feel like this is more prominent in the anime dub and game industry than your average AAA title. There are some infamous stories coming out of DBZ where the voice actor for goku held one scream for so long he passed out. Even the newest game, Xenoverse 2, is a mess dialogue-wise because they were given almost no context or information about what they were recording so it's not uncommon to get lines read in the wrong tone, or ones that just flat out don't match the text on screen. It's good that this is finally happening though, there are a lot of really good voice actors out there and it's always disheartening to find out they get paid beans for a really good performance, or even went unaccredited for it without their say.

Gaz-L posted:

Telltale Batman finished this week, in a surprisingly punctual fashion for TTG. I think this might be the first of their games not to have a massive delay.
Telltale batman really makes me wish they'd made a Telltale: Batman The Animated Series game. It's still not too late to start over with one of the other DCAU properties, guys!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nuebot posted:

Telltale batman really makes me wish they'd made a Telltale: Batman The Animated Series game. It's still not too late to start over with one of the other DCAU properties, guys!

Telltale JLU where the viewpoint character is different every episode.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Telltale JLU where the viewpoint character is different every episode The Question.

:yeah:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

My understanding of the situation is that the voice actor strike probably won't hurt the Spider-Man game because it is far off. Like the game doesn't actually even have a title right now. Insomniac has been really cagey about a release date and I'm seriously doubting that they're going to go from the almost nothing we have now to release in the same year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And they can just use non-union actors anyway. There's tons of them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Actually, a good number of non-union VAs are also respecting the strike and not doing work with the blacklisted devs. No one wants to be a scab.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am quite excited for that Spider-Man game, but I don't really like the white spider design. I've never played a Telltale game, but they look neat. Is the Batman one worth picking up?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It has a great cast and does some interesting things with the mythos, and the relationship between Bruce and Selina, and Bruce and Alfred is very well done. If you've never played one of their games you may want to start with season 1 of TWD, though, or maybe Tales From The Borderlands.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man. So I've finally been playing the other episodes of the Telltale Batman game, and jeez. I was already dreading Joker showing up because I'm so goddamn sick of him and the overblown importance he's always given in modern Batman stories, but I didn't expect him to show up jumping over a shark while yelling "THIS PLOT IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Oh man. So I've finally been playing the other episodes of the Telltale Batman game, and jeez. I was already dreading Joker showing up because I'm so goddamn sick of him and the overblown importance he's always given in modern Batman stories, but I didn't expect him to show up jumping over a shark while yelling "THIS PLOT IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES".

The gently caress???

God I hate what the Joker has become.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Please let Mark stop doing Joker.

I don't think he's in Telltale, but it's just a general Joker peeve.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

See, I thought he had said the Arkham games were going to be it, but I guess the lure of phat staxx was too much.

I don't blame him, mind.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There's no way that was Mark Hamill. Also yeah, Joker in Telltale Batman was pointless, mystifying, and garbage. A lot of the rest of the game was pretty good though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never found Arkham game Joker to be bad. He wasn't running around raping and stabbing random people or doing a bad Deadpool impression.

I loved when the TT Batman game was released all the people going "what the gently caress is this???" because they expected another Arkham game where Batman punches a bunch of people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

There's no way that was Mark Hamill. Also yeah, Joker in Telltale Batman was pointless, mystifying, and garbage. A lot of the rest of the game was pretty good though.

I feel like the story really poo poo the bed about halfway through and never really recovered.

Also it's loving weird that you can prevent Harvey from becoming Two-Face buy he still becomes pretty much just as crazy and dangerous. I mean yeah, that's probably what would happen but it's really off.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's only a matter of time. Harvey is gonna be Final Destination'd no matter what you do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Injustice 2 is "confirmed" for May.

http://twitter.com/noobde/status/817487071438848000

But still only has about 8 announced characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I guess that means it'll be at Evolution, which means SonicFox is likely to win its tournament.