Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

basic hitler posted:

I'm a big fan of Hook. This is like entirely due to watching it a metric fuckton growing up, but it's really pretty drat good. Robin Williams good as always, and Dustin Hoffman as hook is inspired. The rest of the movie doesn't hold up, but it's still fun to watch captain hook chew scenery

Bob Hoskins as gay consort Smee is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jenner posted:

Also not a movie but the cartoon Pirates of the Dark Water was :krad:

It was my favorite as a kid but when I tracked down a few episodes a year or three ago it was really really bad. I prefer my memory of it to the actual thing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like the gaming industrys views on women were more ignorant than misogynistic tho imho

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Mister Macys posted:

I was being facetious about that, though the gaming industry has been inexplicably resistant for the last twenty years...

Tell me more about Dark Water. I always wanted to see it.

Sorry, I couldn't tell you were joking. Written format and all. Some folks truly believe that poo poo and say it seriously. Didn't mean to pounce on you.

I haven't seen it since I was young but all the characters were cool. Tula took no poo poo and kicked all kinds of rear end. Iago was full of sass and smarm. Ren was very Luke Skywalkeresque. I just remember being utterly fascinated about this complex semi-supernatural world. Exploring with the crew and learning about it and experiencing it with them. A lot of time just the dangerousness of the world was the antagonist. One episode was notable for being all about a cultural misunderstanding and the message was, "Not everyone is the same, don't paint people with a broad brush." I really loved it.

bongwizzard posted:

It was my favorite as a kid but when I tracked down a few episodes a year or three ago it was really really bad. I prefer my memory of it to the actual thing.

Oh no. I remember it and Swat Kats just owning. But I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Gargoyles is still good right? Oh poo poo, this is a derail. Um. Is the Sinbad animated movie a pirate movie? It was okay.

Pirates of Penzance rules.

Empress Brosephine posted:

i feel like the gaming industrys views on women were more ignorant than misogynistic tho imho

It's both. :ssh:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 8, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jenner posted:

Oh no. I remember it and Swat Kats just owning. But I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Gargoyles is still good right?

Definitely do yourself a favor and do not re-watch any of it then. I think I was too old for gargoyles though as I don't remember any of it other then the fact that it existed.

Every beloved child childhood piece of media has turned out to be kind of awful upon rereading as an adult so I just gave it up. The "Black Caldron" books are a rare exception, they are still fun and cute.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jenner posted:

It's both. :ssh:

"Malicious" would have probably been a better word for him to use than "misogynistic." I don't think game companies actively hate women, so much as they're stuck on the assumption that their primary target audience is 18-35 males, when their actual audience is way more diverse.

e: also Gargoyles still owns to this very day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JY9vXcoF4

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 12, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Half the cast being TNG alumni probably helped. Riker makes a great foil for the Gargoyles. :allears:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I rewatched Gargoyles and it still loving rules. Though it does have some cringey 90s stuff.

Is the only requirement for a pirate movie to be a pirate movie is for it to have a pirate in it?

Or does it require the usual swashbuckling and treasure seeking stuff?

Because if it's just "features a pirate" than Dodge ball is a pirate movie.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"Malicious" would have probably been a better word for him to use than "misogynistic." I don't think game companies actively hate women, so much as they're stuck on the assumption that their primary target audience is 18-35 males, when their actual audience is way more diverse.

e: also Gargoyles still owns to this very day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JY9vXcoF4

There's this misunderstanding that misogyny is malicious. That it is hatred of women. But not all misogynists are red pillers, MRAs, gamergaters, and MGTOWs. (Though all those sorts are misogynists.) Just like not all racists are going about committing hate crimes and burning crosses and black churches.

I assume most of the dudes in the gaming industry (and really any other entertainment industry) don't actually hate women. But they have kind of embraced messages that have been perpetuated about women culturally via the media (and peers and books etc) and believe them. And they perpetuate those messages themselves in their products when they include female characters who are just the eye candy/love interest and such. When they vomit out the same tropes and don't let women get involved or let women into the clubhouse or make games geared towards women or other minorities because of these fallacious preconceived notions. This is internalized misogyny and it is subtle and not malicious.

It sucks real bad.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 15, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I'm going to say that since the title says PIRATING the pirate in the movie has to at least do something piratically

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Basically, I suppose the question is if The Pagemaster is a pirating movie

I mean, it's not a particularly good movie (even if I have fond memories of it), but it does contain an adaptation of Treasure Island mixed in with Moby Dick and probably some other sources I'm forgetting since I haven't seen the film in over ten years.

Plus Patrick Stewart makes a fine pirate, who knew?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

18 Character Limit posted:

Another property due for a reboot.

What a tagline.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The first Pirates is a good movie that gets bogged down around the 100 minute mark and never fully recovers. Dunno how I sat through it three times in the theater and came away loving it.

What happens at the 100 minute mark? Is it the tortuga thing?

I was really disappointed in the sequels, I loved the original pirates' sense of fun and I really feel that the director didn't really get what people liked about it when he made the other two.

bongwizzard posted:

The video game still holds up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT7LQwtg3T0

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 23, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

What happens at the 100 minute mark? Is it the tortuga thing?

I was really disappointed in the sequels, I loved the original pirates' sense of fun and I really feel that the director didn't really get what people liked about it when he made the other two.
It's when Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth are rescued from the island by the annoying English dude. There's another half hour of fight scenes and then a ten-minute coda. It's all paced really poorly compared to the rest of the movie, too. Legit fun film up until that point!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The second one was really disappointing, I hate that whole wheel fighting sequence because them actually fighting doesn't make any sense and that killed the tension to me. The third one had the pirate senate though....movie redeemed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's when Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth are rescued from the island by the annoying English dude. There's another half hour of fight scenes and then a ten-minute coda. It's all paced really poorly compared to the rest of the movie, too. Legit fun film up until that point!

The annoying english dude is like my second favorite character in the first movie. He's coded like the typical romantic rival douchebag and his beliefs are totally at odds with the protagonists' but he's actually a pretty nice dude in the end.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Genesis game's surprisingly fun, too. Only played it for like an hour, but left wanting to come back to it at some point.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The annoying english dude is like my second favorite character in the first movie. He's coded like the typical romantic rival douchebag and his beliefs are totally at odds with the protagonists' but he's actually a pretty nice dude in the end.

Are we talking about James Norrington? Because let me tell you something. Elizabeth is an idiot.

I am a modern woman. I understand the importance of love to a woman when she is making the important decision of who she is going to (potentially) spend the rest of her life with. But, and I hate it when creators use this argument so ultimate hypocrite here, this movie is not really set in a time period where a woman of Elizabeth's status would/could/should entertain the romantic idea of love. It's all very Pride and Prejudice, where women looking for the best and most promising match who will offer them the most comfortable life.

While James Norrington is easily 10+ years older than her (he is played by the same actor while she is played by a teenaged actress when Will is found adrift.) He is a well established, prominent, and respected man (also wealthy.) He is courteous and respectful towards Elizabeth never once acting creepy, douchey, or imperious. He, in fact, is fairly deferring towards her. Rather than just go through her father and get the match set up and forced on her (the traditional way of things AFAIK) he wants her to have a choice in the matter (and yes, to choose him.)

The fact that she does not pick the honorable, rich, prominent, and respectful gentleman who would do nothing short of treat her with the utmost kindness and respect, be consistently courteous and considerate, and give her the cushiest of lifes. But instead pick the relatively poor, disconnected, and endlessly overshadowed blacksmith. Who works for a drunk who takes the credit for all his ingenious work. (It's Norrington who is canny enough to note the fabulous sword he is presented is Will's workmanship. Everyone else is willing to just give the credit to his boss and Will does not object.) Is profoundly stupid.

I am truly dumbfounded.

With Norrington she would have the world and she could definitely grow to love him. (He is definitely worthy of love and capable of earning it.)
With Will she has love but... not much else. He's not a bad guy. He too respects her and is a perfect gentleman etc, etc. But life with him is just more full of uncertainty and hardship.

It's a bad choice.

I'm the worst feminist.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 24, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I am the captain now - a pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

You know, I don't believe I've ever seen On Stranger Tides. I remember thinking a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie was rather unnecessary, given the plot seemed totally wrapped up with the third movie, so I never got around to it (though really, the second and third were also very unnecessary - the first film was a good standalone piece - but I still enjoyed them to varying degrees, so that was rather poor reasoning to pass).

And yet, here we are, in 2017, with a fifth Pirates film on the way. Hrmm. May have to amend this, if only to say "yeah I saw it".

• Locked thread